MikesRJ

Restoration of a 1961 Wheel Horse Suburban 701

MikesRJ

Ok folks this is just the starting point for this restoration. I'll begin by saying what I've always said before concerning "restorations". A restoration is how YOU define it. I define mine as a complete tear down, replace, refurbish and/or refinish every single piece of this machine striving to achieve a 100% mechanically correct machine per the original Integrated Parts List. About the only thing non-original will be the method of painting. I will use primer, which Wheel Horse did not, but as added protection to the longevity of my "Restoration". Hope you all enjoy following along.

Here's where we start ...

701-01.jpg

701-02.jpg

701-03.jpg

701-04.jpg

701-05.jpg

701-08.jpg

701-09.jpg

701-10.jpg

701-11.jpg

701-12.jpg

701-13.jpg

701-14.jpg

701-15.jpg

701-16.jpg

701-17.jpg

701-18.jpg

701-19.jpg

701-20.jpg

VinsRJ

Mike, I look forward to your documented approach of this resto :thumbs: .... Will you be looking for a correct motor or going with the K181?

MikesRJ

Already have a "correct" K161 lined up, dual belt and deep belt cover and all. Also have the following parts either coming or already on hand:

Square Seat Pan

Hitch

Hitch Pin

Dash Plate

Decals

Muffler

Fenders

Gas Cap

Fuel Bowl

Front Tires

Clevis Pins

Hood Bracket

Knurled Hood Bolts

Still working on a positive ID (picture of originals) on the Throttle and Choke. Looking for a correct 2-prong starter switch, and other sundry items yet to be discovered.

TT

Best pic I have of a control knob:

roundhoodstuff72509010.jpg

That's on my 502, but it's the same as my 701.

Charlie claims there are early Jeep cables that are nearly identical, so you might want to check it out. :thumbs:

Toejam

Best pic I have of a control knob:

roundhoodstuff72509010.jpg

That's on my 502, but it's the same as my 701.

Charlie claims there are early Jeep cables that are nearly identical, so you might want to check it out. :thumbs:

Is that on/off switch and plate original to the 501? My 633 has that and I thought it was put on after the fact. Would it also be original to the 633?

I will be watching this rebuild very close because it looks so much like my 633. Good luck.

Wheelhorse633.jpg

MikesRJ

In my research quest for this machine, I ran across an interesting fact. Take a look at the following picture:

701-11.jpg

How many people KNOW what the correct assembly order is for the items installed on the dashboard? Makes me wonder how many machines out there are installed incorrectly!

From left to right, they are ...

Choke, Throttle, Amp Guage, Starter Button, and 2-Prong Ignition Switch

(Reference pgs. 7, 9-11) http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...-701_6155-P.pdf

That had me befuddled. Thought this might be useful information to the masses.

MikesRJ

Speaking of 1961 Suburban 701 research, the best place to start is the original manuals for the subject at hand. To-wit I add the following documentation I am current pursuing.

SPECIFICATIONS

Product Brand: Wheel Horse

Model Number: 701

Serial #: 48317

Model Year: 1961

Chassis Type: Garden Tractor

Deck Swath: Deck Optional

Deck Discharge: Deck Optional

Engine Manufacturer: Kohler

Engine Model #: K161S-28622E

Engine Size: 7 hp

Engine Type: 4 Cycle

Engine Starter: Electric Starter-Generator

Transmission Manufacturer: Wheel Horse

Transmission Type: Gear

Transmission Speeds: 4 Speed

Transmission Model #: 5007

MANUALS

701 Owner's Manual (OM) and Integrated Parts List (IPL): http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...-701_6155-P.pdf

5007 Transmission Manual: http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...1958_-_1982.pdf

Engine Owner's Manual: http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...93_f_all_OM.pdf

Engine Owner's Manual #2: http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...181_1968-OM.pdf

Engine Service Manual: http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/..._tp_2379_SM.pdf

Engine Service Manual #2: http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...1_1972-SM-2.pdf

Engine Integrated Parts List: http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...P_TP-1053-A.pdf

SERVICE BULLETINS

SB-19 5007 Transmissions: http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...Replacement.pdf

dclarke

Mike, i think there was some talk about this a while back. i don't remember exactly but i think they may have moved them around due to the dash breaking. i can't remember who posted it.

MalMac

Very interesting on the dash order. I see what your talking about looking at the parts diagram. Now I am confused, I have got a 701 that we bought new and the dash was set up the way the one is in the Photo. Choke,starter button,key, throttle. Came that way right out of the crate. I wonder which way it really is supposed to be. I do know as a being a machinist you get prints from engineers and what really happens when it's made can be totally different. Anyway thanks for pointing that out. It's got me thinking.

dclarke

Mike, Glenjeri explained it in one of his posts. i don't know how to post it here but do a search for "701 dash" then scroll down to "correct for a 701" he posted it there.

buckrancher

In my research quest for this machine, I ran across an interesting fact. Take a look at the following picture:

701-11.jpg

How many people KNOW what the correct assembly order is for the items installed on the dashboard? Makes me wonder how many machines out there are installed incorrectly!

From left to right, they are ...

Choke, Throttle, Amp Guage, Starter Button, and 2-Prong Ignition Switch

(Reference pgs. 7, 9-11) http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...-701_6155-P.pdf

That had me befuddled. Thought this might be useful information to the masses.

actually thats the prototype tractor the production tractors are choke,starter button,

amp gage,key switch, throttle

there was just a thread about this a couple of month's ago

production machines were changed do to breakage of the plastic dash from the stress of the choke,throttle cables next to each other the parts book was made from the prototype tractor

you should also notice the pto ingagement is done with a rod an nob from the hoodstrand to the pto pulley

and not the foot pedel that the production tractor used also on the front picture on the owners manual the tractor has a round seat and not the production square pan seat and no lift lever for a mower deck

check this out

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...687&hl=701+dash

Brian

MikesRJ

Spoke via PM with CharliesD250 and received the following information about the Throttle and Choke Cables. Both knobs are as TT described above. The knobs are convex crowned, black plastic knobs with White "THROTTLE" and CHOKE" lettering on them.

Charlie tells me that the "old" (1946-1971) Willey's Jeep throttle and choke cable knobs are identical to the Wheel Horse throttle and choke, with the exception of the base diameter. It appears the base diameter is somewhat different than the original, but inserting a "drilled out" 5/16" Stainless Steel washer will sufficiently make up for the diameter difference while maintaining the external appearance.

The throttle and choke cables should look like this (yes, I realize it's a crappy picture):

Jeep-Throttle_Chooke-Cables.PNG

I have located and contacted a supplier who carries both, and asked the question; 'Is the throttle cable the 'twist-lock' style?". As soon as I have an answer in the affirmative I will place my order for a set. I'll also post details here when I get a solid answer or find the right ones, whichever comes first.

MikesRJ

Something else I found while researching 701 information is a post made by Terry (TT) in December of 2010. TT's post sums up the one-of-a-kind nature of the 701, and how the 701 is a stepping stone in this generation of round hoods. The post also contains some insightful details about the machine as well. The original thread can be viewed here: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...=0entry189885

Terry's Quote "

The 1961 701 was yet another milestone "small" tractor for the Pond's. Their first front-engined model designed for suburban homeowners, it strayed far away from the converted two-wheeled walk-behind based tractors built up until that point.

Although these round hood tractors look "the same" to many people, every year they were produced (1961 to 1964) showed improvements and refinements over the previous year(s) and gave each group their own "personality" or traits to enable them to be identified individually.

The 701 was the guinea pig of sorts and had a lot of "one-off" or unique pieces (or lack of) that were not used on any of the following models.

The most obvious would be the solid-front hood, the dual starter/generator belt system, and the lack of a parking brake and left side cover.

Some other unique (different) things:

The rear fenders had sharper rear corners and were mounted to a low tapered-side tool box and had diagonal support braces.

The steering wheel had three exposed steel spokes and was the same part used from late 1956/early 1957.

The 701 had a starter relay (solenoid) activated by a push button mounted in a plastic dash panel. Ignition power was controlled by a split key switch - also mounted in the dash panel.

Throttle and choke controls had small convex-faced knobs and the amp gauge had a black bezel.

All 701's produced had a single bend near the bottom of the shifter, since the HY-2 had not been introduced yet. It wasn't until part way in to '62 that the second bend showed up, which allowed the shifter to clear the pump unit.

There are variations in the steering components, including the lower support, lower shaft, tie rods, front axle, etc. that changed over the four year "run" of these tractors.

Too late to say this, but "long story short"..........

The 702 was - for the most part - the improved version of the 701. The 753 was the improved version of the 702, and the 1964 854 was the last and final tractor of this generation and was the improved version of the 753.

I could keep on typing about these, but it's probably easier (on me :wh: ) for you to ask specific questions though. :thumbs:

"

rydogg

Mike, that is the same throttle cable I ordered it is not a twist lock I was thinking of pinching some of the cable tube so it will not move on its own. I believe I have the original choke cable I got it with a 653 that I purchased from the same person that sold me the 701, I put it in the 653 since the original had a broken knob but now I guess I will be pulling it out for the 701 or ordering a Jeep choke cable also.

OOPS I just noticed TT posted a picture of the choke so I guess I didn't need to post my blurry picture his is easier to see.

wheelhorse048.jpg

sorry about the poor picture I broke the screen on my digital camera so I can't see what the picture looks like until I load it on my computer and this is the best out of 6 pictures

sscotsman

Is the 701 considered a "Surburban model"?

and should it be referred to as a "Suburban 701"?

I dont believe it should be considered a "Surburban", but im no expert! :thumbs:

I thought the only "suburban models" were the 1960 Suburban 400,

and the 1960 Suburban 550.

They are listed that way in this model list:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=17174

So is that correct?

thanks,

Scot

DMK855

Looking forward to yet another great resto Mike!! :thumbs:

MikesRJ

You guys will appreciate this, and please keep in mind I am not bashing the seller, eBay, or the Post Office.

I ordered a set of the Jeep CJ2 Throttle and Choke cables for the 701 project. They were scheduled to arrive yesterday and something strange showed up in the priority mail tracking information. As of 4pm yesterday (Thursday) afternoon the info said "Out for delivery" as of 9:30 AM.

The package didn't arrive until today (Friday), and the envelope was shredded, open, and empty of any contents.

Along with it is a letter from the Philadelphia mail center stating they received it empty, and if I wanted to, I could refuse delivery by returning it to the carrier or to the post office. Well duh, you deliver an empty envelope, what the hell do you think I want to do, Keep It!?!?!?

So now I have to call the seller, file a claim with both PayPal and eBay, and wait an additional 2 weeks to get the cable, by the time all this crap is sorted out. Now I've bought a lot of things off eBay, and this is the first time this has happened to me, but how aggravating is that?

Indy w h

Well I guess you can go ahead and restore the tractor while you wait for the cables!!!!

What are you waiting for ????? Get on it !!!

Indy

MikesRJ

This weekend I plan to begin the diss-assembly of the machine. The first order of business is to get the transmission split, repaired and restored. followed by the frame, front end, and rims/tires.

MikesRJ

Finally received the two sets of (Jeep and Toro Throttle and Choke) cables I ordered. I find that the Jeep cables, and in particular the throttle cable, is NOT a twist-lock version unfortunately. Also the base of the Jeep cables is also not correct either. The knobs on the other hand are correct as far as I can tell, and the bases of the Toro cables appear to be the correct style. I considered transferring the Jeep cables into the Toro bases, unfortunately the cable shafts are too long for the Toro bases and stick out quite a ways when bottomed into the bases.

What I have done is taken the knobs off the Jeep cables and swapped them over to the Toro cables. This way the knobs are correct in appearance, and the cable assemblies are correct in appearance as well.

As you can see in the pictures below, the dashboard (purchased from one of our RS Vendors) is not the correct color. The correct color is white plastic, and this will require the dash to be colored white using VHT Vinyl Dye.

The Amp Gage is original, and the bezel will need to be repainted black. The started button is original and will need to be re-polished.The key switch should be a split key version, but I've yet to locate one for a reasonable price (I don't consider $40 and up reasonable for a $10-15 switch).

Any thoughts, comments or interjections?

701-Dash-01.jpg

701-Dash-03.jpg

Thus far the following parts have been aqcuired:

Square Seat Pan - check

Kohler K-161 w/Double Pulley cover - check

Hitch - check

Hitch Pin - check

Dash Plate - check

Decals - check

Muffler - Check

Fenders - check

Gas Cap - check

Fuel Bowl - check

Front Tires - check

Clevis Pins - check

Hood Bracket - check

Knurled Hood Bolts - check

Gerry w

I split the speedo on the VW and repainted the inside with model paint. What are you going to do Mike?

MikesRJ

Time will tell Gerry ... :thumbs:

That needle is beginning to get to me though.

puddlejumper

Mike, I think you will regret it if you try to take the bezel off. They are hard to recrimp due to streching when removed and its hard to find another without the stewart warner logo on the face. If you find some I could use one :thumbs:

Also Glen told me I think off white is correct for plastic dash and he also has white ones if youn prefer I ordered the off white specificaly

buckrancher

As you can see in the pictures below, the dashboard (purchased from one of our RS Vendors) is not the correct color. The correct color is white plastic, and this will require the dash to be colored white using VHT Vinyl Dye.

Mike

FYI I have two original dashs and I believe there both off white

Brian