Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chambley4

Belt Rubbing Mower Deck on 2007 315-8

Guest Chambley4

When I use the 42" mower deck at almost full height, I've notice the belt rubbing on the deck top. Is the belt loose or what else is wrong?

Thanks!

TT

I would check the belt tension first, but you might want to make sure the front mounting bar on the deck is indexed properly. The slot on the tab should point upwards and straddle the "pin" on the mid hitch latches.

If this is not attached correctly, the front of the deck will lift higher than designed, and the belt will rub the front of the deck shell.

kj4kicks

Most of mine have the same rubbing issue, when they are operated at full height. I really don't think they were designed to be run up there!

NolanMVP

I have the same tractor, and I also have a belt rub issue when the deck is at or near full height. The rub is not there when I lower the deck, so I am assuming this is "normal", but annoying.

nylyon

Just a thought, but maybe you can get a very heavy piece of plastic sticker to put on where the belt is rubbing. It won't stop the belt from rubbing, but it will keep the paint on the deck that much longer.

TT

I guess I misunderstood. I thought you meant the belt was rubbing when the gauge wheels were set for maximum height. :whistle:

Although these decks will operate in the raised (travel) position, (which I sometimes do in tall grass or weeds) it's not how they were designed. The belt will also rub if the mower goes over a steep hump or runs up on an object.

There's really no way to keep the belt from dragging on the deck shell unless additional guides or idler pullies are installed.

T-Mo

I guess I'm as dense as TT as I also misread the initial post. I also am guilty of sometimes running the deck in the transport position, but I believe that wasn't the design intention. :whistle:

illinilefttackle

:whistle: Guys!-My 42" deck does the same thing. I have to run it a little high because of the 1/4" extra length of the replacement spindles I put on when I rebuilt it. I cemented a patch of teflon in the exact spot it was rubbing on-also I run the belt a teesy bit tighter than what is probably normal to minimize it.-AL