rmaynard

Kohler Points

rmaynard

I don't know how many of you have experienced this, but the last 2 sets of Kohler brand point that I have gotten, have all been made in Mexico, and they are difficult to hold an adjustment. What I mean is that you can set them at .020, and when you go to tighten the screw, no matter how you do it, the gap always changes. :thumbs:

I never had this problem on the older Kohler points.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue, or is it just me? Any tips on how to hold the gap while tightening the screw? :thumbs:

I'm thinking of trying an off-brand to see if they are any better. The old points that came off of the K241 that I am rebuilding were Phelon brand. You could loosen the screw, set the gap, and snug it back without the gap changing.

JC 1965

:thumbs: I've had the same problem and it's driving me crazy. Also the contact surface is smaller than the older ones and made of softer material. They get burn spots when the gap closes. The older points would hold the gap setting for years. Seems like everything is being made cheaper these days. :thumbs:

Bill

You can go to MWSC and get the Bracket to switch over to Chevy points for $17.95 and the new cover for $6.65. they work great, and so much easier to Adj. the points now..

• Like 1

rmaynard

You can go to MWSC and get the Bracket to switch over to Chevy points for $17.95 and the new cover for $6.65. they work great, and so much easier to Adj. the points now..

I might just do that.

Now, tell me what the heck is MWSC?

Bill

Sorry Bob, MWSC is Midwest super cub.. http://midwestsupercub.net/ They have an online Catalog and if you look under K series you will find the points bracket and cover.. BTW for your stock Eng.. you don't have to use the $46.00 32 oz accel points that they have listed, you can just go to you local nappa and get std. chevy points

• Like 1

rmaynard

Thanks for the info. I went to their site and they have some very interesting items.

Bill

Thanks for the info. I went to their site and they have some very interesting items.

Yes.. My wifes says I must own stock in the company in the amount of money I spend there for my cub puller :thumbs:

algrc120man

the chevy points are the way to go used them pulling an have got a set on a generator that runs a week at a time during most storms i my area.

rmaynard

I did order the bracket and installed a set of Chevy points. They are amazingly simple to adjust. :thumbs:

• Like 1

JC 1965

I did order the bracket and installed a set of Chevy points. They are amazingly simple to adjust. :wh:

:D Bob, I ordered the points bracket from MWSC then i went to Napa web site to order points and it said you have to enter a chevy model year. Do i just make up a year, :D were the points the same for all the years? :thumbs: Any help greatly appreciated.

rmaynard

Here's the NAPA part number - CS786SB

stevasaurus

the points are Delco Remy D106PS or D106...the PS stands for pre-set. :thumbs:

rmaynard

I got my points bracket and cover from a different company than MWSC. I understand that MWSC has a very nice bracket and cover, but their shipping was very pricey. I was trying to save some money on shipping.

The bracket and cover that I ordered was only $27.50, and that included S&H.

The bracket was great, but the cover was a piece of junk. The holes did not line up, and the workmanship was like something that I might have done my first day in Junior High School metal shop. No, I think I would have done better.

I asked about getting it replaced, and the only response was that they have a return policy. 25% restock, ship back at my expense.

I have explained that the reason I want to send it back is because it is defective, but there has been no further response.

I am not mentioning the name of the company at this time, as I am allowing him time to reconsider, but if the problem is not resolved, I will post the name of the company so that other RedSquare members that may order this item, are not disappointed as I have been so far.

stevasaurus

Bob...just bought 2 sets of the brackets and 2 covers from MWSC...excellent quality for a total of $61.60. You get what you pay for. :wh: An extra $3 or $4...about a gallon of gas. :thumbs:

• Like 1

rmaynard

Bob...just bought 2 sets of the brackets and 2 covers from MWSC...excellent quality for a total of $61.60. You get what you pay for. :wh: An extra $3 or $4...about a gallon of gas. :thumbs:

Actually, the parts were about the same price. Only buying a single set, MWSC shipping was $13.00 compared to $5.25 for others. Next time I will know better.

However, the bracket is fine. The Chevy points work great, and adjusting is a breeze.

squonk

If you drop the SB from the part # you get a better grade point set. The SB was the consumer/economy line. Napa used to have a gold line (still used for it's filters) for professional grade and a silver line for it's consumer grade. SB stood for "silverline boxed". CS786 would be the Echlin made contact set 786

• Like 1

rmaynard

Whether they are silver or gold, they are better than Kohler. :thumbs:

I got the SB line just to see how they would work. They were only $7.00, so if the adapter bracket didn't work out for me, I wouldn't be out much for the points. I had the empty box sitting on my desk, so that was the first number I threw up there.

:wh:

dclarke

Bob, could you post pics of your setup if you get a chance? Thanks.

rmaynard

Soon as it stops hailing outside, I will run out and get a picture.

Hail stopped.

30462b00.jpg

• Like 1

JC 1965

:wh: Bob, thanks for the NAPA points part # Also thanks for posting a photo of your setup ( much appreciated ) I'm always amazed at how you guys are willing to help. Thanks again!! :thumbs:

rmaynard

Just adding my latest thoughts on the Chevy points mod.

The whole idea of the modification was based on pulling. The guys that designed this modification had no intention of using the tractor for general purpose use. There is no way that I have found to seal this modification from rain, snow, and dirt. A dust cover that is supplied with it only keeps out enough dirt to allow the tractor to run a good pull.

In order to use this on a daily basis, I am going to have to devise a way to cover the points with a waterproof cover, as was originally intended for the Kohler points. :thumbs:

Any of you metal working guys that may have any ideas, I hope you might share them.

dclarke

Thanks for the pics Bob, please keep us posted on any updates. looks good. :thumbs:

JC 1965

The whole idea of the modification was based on pulling. The guys that designed this modification had no intention of using the tractor for general purpose use. There is no way that I have found to seal this modification from rain, snow, and dirt. A dust cover that is supplied with it only keeps out enough dirt to allow the tractor to run a good pull.

In order to use this on a daily basis, I am going to have to devise a way to cover the points with a waterproof cover, as was originally intended for the Kohler points. :thumbs:

Any of you metal working guys that may have any ideas, I hope you might share them.

when i first received my bracket and cover from MWSC that's the first thing i thought about. ( how to keep dirt and snow out of that cover ) if you come up with any ideas, please let me know. :wh:

Kelly

looks like you can set these while running with a dwell meter a much better way.

• Like 2

Jim_M

In order to use this on a daily basis, I am going to have to devise a way to cover the points with a waterproof cover, as was originally intended for the Kohler points.