Sign in to follow this  
dnelmo

K241 interesting problem

dnelmo

Hello all:

I just found this Wheel Horse web site yesterday, and it is like I hit the jackpot. It's easy to get lost for a few hours on this web site.

I've been browsing the engine forum for a couple of hours this evening, hoping to find someone else who has had an engine problem similar to that which I am having.

I have a 1974 C-100 with the K241 10HP engine. Beginning last season the engine developed an interesting problem. After running for approximately 10-15 minutes, the engine would begin what I can best describe as "fluttering" and losing power. Eventually it would simply stop running. After I let the tractor set for a few minutes, I could restart the engine and it would run fine for a few minutes and then go through the same process.

At first I believed the problem to be an ignition problem, so I began changing different ignition components - spark plug, spark plug wire, points, condensor, and coil. I used all Kohler components. The problem continues and has not gotten any better.

So now, after reading your postings, I'm thinking that the issue may be caused by carbon build up. But I'm also wondering if the engine just may need a valve job or new valves.

If time permits, I plan on pulling the head this weekend and doing a thorough cleaning.

I'm not a mechanic by trade so I'd like to get the input from those of you who have way more knowledge and experience with these Kohlers than I have.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

David

can whlvr

:thumbs: this is a great site,there is lots of really knowlageble people here that will be able to help when u need

Fiscalyear

David :thumbs:

:thumbs: Eddie

Sparky

I had a similar issue with a Kohler 10 a few years back and a valve job took care of it. It ended up needing a new exhaust valve as well. I had it done at a shop but cant remember what I paid.

Mike.........

WH nut

Its an Old tractor, Id start by looking at the muffer, you could have a baffle or just a plugged muffler. A compression test when it quits would be a good start

mavfreak

:thumbs:

rmaynard

Nice to have you aboard.

First of all, let's start with the simple stuff before you start taking the engine apart.

Check the gas cap. Sometimes the vent hole will get clogged and if you can't pull air in the vent, the tank will develop a vacuum and gas won't flow.

Replace the fuel filter.

Check fuel hoses to make sure that they haven't gotten weak and are collapsing.

Check the fuel pump. Those old pumps will eventually give out and not pump any longer. Depending on how they fail, they may still allow some gas to feed through to the carburetor by gravity.

Clean the carburetor bowl and check the float valve. Rebuild the carburetor if necessary.

Before taking the head off, check the valve gaps.

After all of that, if the problem still persists, then start taking the engine apart.

Good luck. If you don't have a K241 manual, you can find one at www.mywheelhorse.com

Kelly

Do like Bob said, but I still would pull the head and clean everything and install a new head gasket, be sure to re torque it after about 15 min. of run time let it cool first.

I believe Kohler recommends changing it every 100 hours, and cleaning the carbon out.

WH nut

And a compression test when it quits will take all of 5 minute and all you have to do is pull 1 spark plug and the results will give you a starting point instead of wandering aimlessly

MikesRJ

JC 1965

HI DAVID, and :thumbs:

can whlvr

the compresion test is difficult if the engine has the decompresion gear for starting,u need to use anither tractor with a belt from pto to pto and maybe it will need to be a figure 8 depends on booster tractor,and that tractor needs to be a horizontal shaft to make it easier to hook up,then u can get the engine near running speed to get a reading

Horse Fanatic

My first thought is the gas cap. When it happens, loosen the cap and see if it runs fine with it loose. If so, the vent is bad in the cap and you need a new gas cap.

WH nut

the compresion test is difficult if the engine has the decompresion gear for starting,u need to use anither tractor with a belt from pto to pto and maybe it will need to be a figure 8 depends on booster tractor,and that tractor needs to be a horizontal shaft to make it easier to hook up,then u can get the engine near running speed to get a reading

Even with ARC if you dont have 60 to 70 psi you have a problem, lets not make it tougher than it it to fix these things

Don1977

Have you checked the fuel pump. My 1977 C-120 did similar when the fuel pump quit working. It would run for awhile then quit, let it set a while and it would start up and run then quit again.

i had the same exact problem, it would run really crappy after 10-15 minutes and if i was mowing or working iw ould have to idle it down all the way just to get it home... (it would only run good that way) but all i did was give it a good carb cleaning and that solved it never would have guessed it tho