Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

Wheel Horse Model No. 1-0120

T-Mo

Anyone know anything about this model? The ad says WH Model#10120-8 ser# 911526, which I think should be 1-0120 which would make it a 1973 8 hp, 4 speed with a 8 hp Kohler engine. From the picture it doesn't look too bad, though it doesn't have a deck.

Sparky

The 73, 8hp 4 speeds are smaller than a "C" or a "B" series tractor. The front tires are 6" and the rears are 10" rims. It will not have the Hi/Low tranny and I think its a hard tranny to find parts for as it wasnt used much by Wheel Horse. The motor is a horizontal 8hp Kohler so thats good. I think that it will run the 36" decks that are used on the "C" and "B" series with the standard attach-a-matic setup. Probably a good sturdy tractor, just smaller. I'm 6'1" so I would probably not like riding one for to long.

Mike....

PS....I think Ben (CHARGER 9 AUTO) has one, maybe he will chime in....

nylyon

Is the frame smaller or is it a standard frame with smaller wheels and tires? It would be fun to see one of these sitting next to Mikes D.

T-Mo

Here's a link to it:

73 Wheel Horse

Rollerman

The 73 8HP 3 speed is pretty much the same as a C series.

Frame is the same but the do put a riser plate under the engine.

Pretty much the same tractor as a B 80.

Wheelhorse did put out a short frame 800 model "I think" that was setup to run the 3 blade 36" tach a matic deck.

They did use smaller front rims & tires as well as the 10" rear rims and tire Mike mentioned to make the deck fit between the tires of the short frame.

The 800 had longer axles to set the tires out wider...but other than that same tranny.

I believe ther was anther odd ball horse out there too with B&S power & a peerless trans & used the standard long frame.

Wow...so many variations!

Stephen in northern IN

Curmudgeon

Stephen, would the 800 with the extended rear axles be a Commando 800?

Seems I had a width issue with the Lawn Ranger, and I solved it (at least I hope so) by using a transaxle off the shelf, but I have NO IDEA what tractor it was in originally!!!!!!!!!

Dale, confused, but only slightly dazed, in Michigan

Rollerman

That sounds right Dale...Commando 800.

I used a trans off one to fit 26x12x12's on my sons 701 Hot Rod tractor.

Had JD off set rims...looked good too.

Stephen in northern IN....ebaying

Curmudgeon

Cool! I"ll have to write that down somewhere.

C-Horse is a compilation of a Commando 800 and a C-141, using the body work from the Commando, rolling chassis from the C, so that would put a Commando 800 transaxle on my shelf.

Dale, in Michigan

T-Mo

So this 8 hp, 4 speed would be more of a lawn tractor than a garden tractor?

Sparky

I wouldnt say that. It still has a cast iron tranny, a cast iron front end, and a horizontal cast iron Kohler motor and the Wheel Horse angle iron frame. I think its not as common a tractor so parts might be harder to find. Its also a bit smaller and that will turn some folks off when its time to sell.

Mike......likes em big :D

Rollerman

Treed that is a the same size tractor as a C series!

A 1973 8HP 3 speed right?.... it is the same thing as a C series minus the bigger engine, no hi/lo, no lights,& probably has the 22" rear tires.

What it should have is a cast iron 8HP Kohler K181 "enough power for 36" deck" same over all layout of any of the "long frame" tractors, should have 8" front rims...I beleive that was a standard size in 73...This is a very good tractor for lighter mowing, pulling a cart, snow plowing.

Would be very similiar to your C141..a little less power but will run a long time with the gas in it's tank!

It's the same 3 speed used in all the later 3 speed tractors

I think it's a good buy & you'd be happy with it.

Now I may have confused you when I typed about a 1972 Commando 800...this was made out of a short frame tractor with smaller tires to fit a big deck...still a tractor but I think it's what Mike is describing...but not what you are looking at.

I have a B-80 in my fleet now...it's the same tractor you are looking at pretty much...well it was before I gave it to my son.

Stephen in northern IN

Rollerman

Also Treed looking at the pic again...looks like 23x8.50 tires on back...also the tractor has the cool flip up rear fender with the tool box under the seat.

Looks like there is no deck but I do see the mule drive under the hood in front....so if you buy & don't mow it would be a spare or good ebay material...mule drive's do good on ebay.

Looks like a nice tractor....wish I was closer :D

Stephen in northern IN...claim jumpin

T-Mo

Thanks. Admittedly I was getting a little confused with the talk of the Commando's, the Bs, the Cs, etc. The guy wants to make me a deal for my JD 210, but he wants to throw in a, yuck, a MTD. What I want is his Wheel Horse and some cash and if I think we can work out a deal like that, then I will make the deal. I do think it looks to be in good shape and it would be nice to have to pull my cart around the yard, etc.

CHARGER9AUTO

Treed, I bought a 1973 made only one year '73 Wheel Horse 8 HP 4-Speed for $400.00 at the Wheel Horse in PA 2006 it's been stored in the garage and well maintained every year with some oil changes , new spark plug it's my favorite tractor to use out of the rest of the Wheel Horse herd

CHARGER9AUTO

Also Treed looking at the pic again...looks like 23x8.50 tires on back...also the tractor has the cool flip up rear fender with the tool box under the seat.

Looks like there is no deck but I do see the mule drive under the hood in front....so if you buy & don't mow it would be a spare or good ebay material...mule drive's do good on ebay.

Looks like a nice tractor....wish I was closer :D

Stephen in northern IN...claim jumpin

Tickster, The '72 - '73 Commando 800 and 8 - 4 SPEED with the cast iron Kohler K-181S horizontal engine used 15x6.00-6 on the front and 20x8.00-10 on the rear

they used 10" rims only the B-80's had larger rear tires 27x7.50-12 turf tread tires . Ben

Rollerman

Ben if you take a look at the pic in the 4th post in this column, I'm going by that.

Those tires look to be the same size as a C series.

The 27" tires were used on large frames only.

And the Commando 800 used the weird size "small" tires to clear the larger size deck on a short frame.....one of those Wheel Horse spare parts speacials.

To my knowledge (limited :D ) Wheel horse did not put 6" front rims on any long frames till the introduction of the 300 series?

The 73 8HP 3speed was only made one year...but you get that alot with some wheel horse models....it became the B-80 in 74...same tractor...differant decal.

Stephen in northern IN

CHARGER9AUTO

Ben if you take a look at the pic in the 4th post in this column, I'm going by that.

And the Commando 800 used the weird size "small" tires to clear the larger size deck on a short frame.....one of those Wheel Horse spare parts speacials.

To my knowledge (limited :P ) Wheel horse did not put 6" front rims on any long frames till the introduction of the 300 series?

The 73 8HP 3speed was only made one year...but you get that alot with some wheel horse models....it became the B-80 in 74...same tractor...differant decal.

Stephen in northern IN

Steve, 1974 The B-80 was built next years model tractor in '72 is the Commando 800 another years later on Wheel Horse made the 8 HP 4-Speed in '73 both of these tractors used the same 5085 transmissions and fromt and rear wheels 15x6.00-6 and 20x8.00-10 with 10" rear rims to clear the 36" mower deck. back in '74 the B-80 used the 5084 4-Speed transmission and larger front wheels 16x6.50-8 and rear wheels 27x7.50-12 same tractor but different decal and engine I think the Commando 800 and 8 HP 4-Speed looks Cool with the smaller wheels and bolt pattern on 1" rear hubs . Ben :D

CHARGER9AUTO

To my knowledge (limited :D ) Wheel horse did not put 6" front rims on any long frames till the introduction of the 300 series?

Stephen in northern IN

Steve, I think my '73 8 HP 4-Speed is in better shape than the one your buying because mine has been stored indoors in a garage when not in use the guy said before I bought it . Ben :P

Curmudgeon

I found it hard to believe the B-80 had a 27" rear tire, so I went to toro.com, and looked up the parts list.

The B-80 is listed as having 22x7.50x12 rear tires.

Dale

Rollerman

After talking with a friend of mine tonight online....we got on the discussion of tire sizes on the various horses.

It seems they put out more than a few small tire models before the 300 series...I did say my knowledge was limited.... :D

Also after said friend checked the Toro site it seems that the model 1-0120 did have the smaller tires on it 15x6.00x6, 20x8.00x10 ... :P

My apology to any one I miss led.

Now I'm curious though if this Model 1-0120 is a short frame or a long frame?

I do know the before mentioned Commando 800 was a short frame on the small tires..I have a friend who still mows with one.

And I did have a 10HP auto at one time...same sixe as a C...would have led me to beleive...well you get the picture.

Treed I still think for the money it be a nice tractor!

Stephen in northern IN...getting off my soap box & burning it

T-Mo

I will have to say that I had to decipher the model number from his email. I think in his email he said it was Model#10120-8 ser# 911526, which I think there is no. 10120-8, so since it has the 10120 in it and it had a 8 hp Kohler, I assume he meant 1-0120. Now, I'm wondering if I assumed wrong. What else can it be?

CHARGER9AUTO

I will have to say that I had to decipher the model number from his email. I think in his email he said it was Model#10120-8 ser# 911526, which I think there is no. 10120-8, so since it has the 10120 in it and it had a 8 hp Kohler, I assume he meant 1-0120. Now, I'm wondering if I assumed wrong. What else can it be?

Steve, I replaced the old decals with some new ones on my 8 HP 4-Speed the

running boards were powered wired brushed down with my Dewalt grinder with wire brush wheel and washed down with soap and water to get all dust off of them

then aired dryed in the sun . the next day I painted them waited a couple days until the paint cured before putting on the tractor I bought new battery cables at Wal - Mart two for the battery and one for the starter I put another seat on the '73 model 1-0120 that came off a '71 Raider 10 parts tractor and repainted it satin black with the adjustable back rest every C-Series tractor had them with arm rests and seat springs . I pull a two wheel dump cart with the little garden tractor and a Agri - Fab 42" lawn sweeper around the yard for picking up leaves ,

grass , egg corns or small tree branches . Ben.... :D

CHARGER9AUTO

The 73, 8hp 4 speeds are smaller than a "C" or a "B" series tractor. The front tires are 6" and the rears are 10" rims. It will not have the Hi/Low tranny and I think its a hard tranny to find parts for as it wasnt used much by Wheel Horse. The motor is a horizontal 8hp Kohler so thats good. I think that it will run the 36" decks that are used on the "C" and "B" series with the standard attach-a-matic setup. Probably a good sturdy tractor, just smaller. I'm 6'1" so I would probably not like riding one for to long.

Mike....

PS....I think Ben (CHARGER 9 AUTO) has one, maybe he will chime in....

Mike, I have a '73 8 - 4 SPEED I'm not sure if you know Ben Kasler he had a '72 Commando 800 that I've picked at the show up for $300.00 it need the rear 10" wheels I

found some at Rice's lawn mower repair shop in Wilbraham , MA for $15 never used except for the valve stems were broken off I had to buy new ones and put them in after that the tires held air . Bill Pearson bought me a '71 Work Horse 800 and a '73 8 HP 4-Speed I'd used for parts to rebuild my Commando 800 I then

found the one I'm useing now to replace my Commando . Ben