Sign in to follow this  
frankiefiredog

Adding a hydraulic lift to a manual lift tractor

frankiefiredog

1975 C-120 Auto. I'm currently working with another RS member on adding a hydraulic lift to my C-120. Other than the valve, cyl, hoses, and couplings, what else might I need to get this switched? Is it pretty much bolt on? Any advice would be great. I appreciate all of your knowledge so much. Thanks.

can whlvr

i too am wanting this info for a 1975 c 120,a while ago i asked this and got some help looking at the parts tree page for the pump,its not that clear to me what parts i need and what i have,went to my dealer and they are in no way of any help,so please help us,thanks

Kelly

I know you will need to add a cone valve to the trans or it will not work, I've never done it, but they are easy to change under the caps you see on the pump.

B-8074

I put one on my 69 Charger 12. Pretty straight forward. I have a pdf. of the manual I used if you would like a copy pm me your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

frankiefiredog

I know you will need to add a cone valve to the trans or it will not work, I've never done it, but they are easy to change under the caps you see on the pump.

I'm not familiar with the term Kelly, I googled it and found way more than is useful. If the kit is coming off another wheel horse, will the cone valve already be connected/installed?

Thanks!

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

frankiefiredog

Anyone? Your advice is always appreciated! :thumbs:

B-8074

Did you get the pdf.?

TT

This is the kit:

Mike ("MikesRJ") also has the manual (.pdf file) at his site: LINK

See - that wasn't so tough. :thumbs:

can whlvr

not my thread but thanks tt,that is worth saving and adding to my wheel horse manuals

frankiefiredog

Thank you TT!!! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!

And for the record, I used search :drool: Seems there are just a few posts here that have "Hydro", "hydraulic", and "lift" in them :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: . Never found those you just posted. Thank you again! :thumbs:

C-160 Tractor

This is the kit:

Mike ("MikesRJ") also has the manual (.pdf file) at his site: LINK

See - that wasn't so tough. :thumbs:

good stuff. :thumbs:

frankiefiredog

Ok guys. You've been very helpful so far. There is a question though about the cone valve, where it is located, and what it looks like. Anyone have a picture or a diagram close up? Does the cone valve go by any other name? Thanks!

B-8074

It should look like a metal cone. It goes in CONE....SPRING....CAP. If you look on page 2 of the pdf. I sent you figures 2 and 3 will show you. Hope this helps.

frankiefiredog

Thanks. I think we have it all figured out now. I should have this kit in my hands by next weekend! VERY excited!

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

frankiefiredog

OK I got all the parts. The thing is pretty much bolt-on, replace this, swap that. Just as you all said it would be. Until I got to the cone valve, ball, spring pieces parts for the hydro. First I had to figure out which front, back, top, bottom ports and plugs came out. Once I located all of this, I removed the rear plug as directed by the install guide. Inside was a spring and a cone valve. I removed the front plug and inside is a spring and a cone valve. Now I'm lost!!! The ball goes in the front and the rear I would leave alone? I thought I had to change these things? And shims? I don't see any shims at all? I can post some pictures later if you guys need them, but I'm fairly certain that you know what I'm talking about. This tractor has never had a hydro lift on it. My father was the Original Owner and we've lifted by lever for years! Thanks!

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

Shuboxlover

I'm glad you got the stuff on....now you know why I was so confused about the ball and cone valve situation, hope you get it going quickly....keep us informed

frankiefiredog

Anything here guys? Anyone have any ideas?

Shuboxlover

What places do you/don't you have the ball and cone valve??? Let's start there, maybe you didn't even need them to begin with. :thumbs: maybe they were already in there? :thumbs:

can whlvr

this is info from another member,front goes plug,light spring,ball,rear is hollow plug,shims(two peices)heavy spring,cone,as far as EXACTLY what parts ar what i dont have any expieriance in actually doing this,but in my pis that is the order in which they go,i believe the parts inside come out and the new ones go back in,hope this helps,im sorry i dont know how to post the pic i have thats in my email

frankiefiredog

Thanks Don. I went back and took the front and rear pieces out and put them back in using the order you provided. The lift tries to pick up the snowblower, but it seems weak? I finally got it to lift the blower about a 1/2" off the ground. Not nearly all the way up, but it's something. I wonder if the snowblower is just too heavy? What are these hydraulics rated for?

On another note, the little cast handle broke, probably due to me trying to make it work harder :thumbs:

Not sure if the JB weld is going to hold, but I hooked it up last night. Good times! It's kinda rough blowing snow when you can't lift the blower, but I got it done!

can whlvr

the lift should pic up the blower no problem,i have a 1975 c 160 auto that came factory with the lift so i have not opened up the lines on it,i was going to if and when i converted mu 1975c120auto with manual lift,any way the hydro on my 160 will lift a full bucket of topsoil in my homemade jonny bucket,so much that i was concerned about my front end wearing out.if any one could help me learn how to send a email that i have saved i could email u the pic i have of the parts and order,im gonna be away this week 4 work so ill check in thursday night,unless i figure out today

frankiefiredog

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, and I'm pretty frustrated. I have the cone valve and spring in the back and the ball and spring in the front. I have all the hoses hooked up and I do get movement, but it's slow and lacks any type of power. What am I doing wrong? I'm getting ready to start throwing tools! I've removed those plugs so many times!

B-8074

Are you installing the HY-6 lift unit?

frankiefiredog

As far as I know, yes. That is the kit. I bought it off another member here that had it on a c-160. It worked well for him. So I'm concerned that I may have some sort of hydro transmission problem?

B-8074

Ok. I took a few pics of mine. The first pic is where the spring and cone go.

It's the small hex head.

5492331990_928276bdac_b.jpg

The others show the hose hook ups. I hope this helps. I know when I put mine on I had 2 caps left over.

5491737665_98a2cf4889_b.jpg

5491737375_6255396fc5_b.jpg