Sign in to follow this  
P3x

520H/Onan P220 Servicing Info

P3x

The 520H is getting a good workout with the snow we've had (MA) and another storm predicted for Wed. Don't know where I'll put it all - maybe use the neighbor's yard accross the street as KenB! But before the next storm it's time for some care and feeding. I've read lots of posts, looked in the Parts and Service Manals and have some Qs prior to digging in:

What is the PN of the NAPA and Wix Oil Filters used on the Onan? I've read many posts regarding filters and it seems these are most preferred, but did not see the PNs listed. I went to a local Auto Parts Store and asked for a Wix Oil Filter for an Onan P220 and got a WIX 51374. Is this correct?

The Toro 520H IPC shows a separate Oil Filter and a Gasket. As most Spin On Filters I've seen have the rubber gasket installed, is there another type gasket needed?

What is the NAPA/Wix PNs for Hydro Filter that fits the 520H?

What is a good oil to use in the Hydro unit? New to Hydro tractors and surprised to find Auto Engine Oil is used.

After changing the Hydro Oil/Filter is there a Bleeding Procedure you need to follow to purge air or prime the components? If so what is the process?

While checking out the items I want to purchase on the different vendor sites, I'm surprised to find mufflers for the Onan are listed over 500.00!! What's up with that? I purchased a nice set of Ceramic Coated Headers for my Vette for 30% less! Luckily I do not need to replace it now, but would like to know what folks do when the time comes.

The tractor's been working nicely; although there seems to be a knock in the lower end when first started (stored in the garage). Nice threads on performing an overhaul which I may need to do in the future. Nice sound when the engine is spooled and when the Hydro kicks in after it warms up. Quite a change from the Murray...

stevebo

I do not have the part numbers for the filters however I wold run 10w30 or 10w40 in in both the engine and tranny. You will need to get both good and hot as adding the fluid to the tranny takes a long time so be ready !! That 520 is no Murray for sure :banghead:

P3x

Yes 10-30W it is for the remaining winter months.

Nice Grader on the rear of your tractor. - Is it a Toro/WH Part and are they available? The attachment addiction getting stronger...

TT

WIX filter info

The "extra" gasket you see in the IPL is the one that seals the gap around the outside of the oil filter.

The Eaton 1100 series hydro unit is self-priming and does not need bled. You should remove one of the fender bracket bolts on the top of the transaxle so the air can escape while filling the tranz through the dipstick tube. Otherwise, you'll be trying to get the oil to go in for two hours and/or probably have a mess to clean up when you're done.

sorekiwi

I just bought filters from Napa for mine last week.

Air Filter: Napa 6094

Oil Filter: Napa 1374 - this is a short filter, about 3 1/2" high, there is one that is about an inch longer, I think it is #1762. I decided to try the short one to see if it was easier to sneak in there, but I think it will be a pain to remove as it is barely proud of the shroud on the engine. I like to fill my filters with oil before installing them, and I hoped the short filter might help me do that without making as much of a mess.

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_3149.jpg

For the transmission filter, go get a genuine Toro filter for that. Duke did a good thread on this a while back:

I'm sure there are aftermarket filters out there that are OK, but I dont think it is worth the risk. Just go with the OEM filter and take that variable out of the equation.

P3x

Thanks for the info, it will make changing these out a breeze. I'll be returning the Wix 51374 and get the 51762 and ordered a Hydro filter from Toro.

Posimoto

The wix 51410 Hydro filter doesn't use a by-pass or anti-drain back valve similar to the OME Toro filter. If you feel better using a OME filter do so, but IMO there is no performance difference between the wix 51410 filter and Toro filter the only difference being the price.

MalMac

I have two 520's, a 90 and a 94 one takes the short filter and one takes the long. I can't remember which is which right now. I just remember when I found this out is I was changing oil in both of them and bought two long filters. I could not even come close to getting the long filter in one of them and thats how I found out. Back to the store to exchange. The parts guy looked it up and sure enough the book list two fliters available just not the year for which one goes to which tractor. These were Wix fliters. If you go to the Wix web page that TT put the link to. Put in tractors and turff equipment the 520h will show. Click on that and it will list the two flilters available. (thanks TT for the link)

Posimoto

The wix 51374 = 520H w / Onan P220G engine