Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

38" Two Stage Snow Thrower????

mr.pipes

There is no way $350 is the blower and tractor. If it is and you don't want it I'll give you $100 if you give me the guy's info and I get it.

sgtsampay

There is no way $350 is the blower and tractor. If it is and you don't want it I'll give you $100 if you give me the guy's info and I get it.

:banghead:

mattd860

It's $350 just for the blower. He was asking $900 for the tractor, blower, 42" SD deck, and grass catcher. I just need/want the blower since I already have one 18hp and one 12hp tractor. The 10hp tractor is not appealing to me, nor is the mower or grass catcher.

I will sleep on it and let you all know more in the morning. Thanks!

mattd860

Ok so after mulling about it over the weekend I've decided to get the snow thrower. I will be picking it up later this week. I've repeatedly asked the owner for the number of hours on the tractor as well as the type of grass bagger (power-flow, etc) but he hasn't told me. When I pick up the thrower I will get all these answers myself. I may also try to purchase the whole package (tractor, deck, bagger, etc) if it all looks good. Otherwise I will pass on the info and sellers contact information to all you who have asked me for it.

I will keep you all posted.

So how do these 2-stage throwers work compared to the 1-stage? Do you have to load them up with snow like you do with the 1-stage? Are the 2-stage throwers still effective with a small amount of snow?

Posimoto

I have one and their great blowers (dennist linked my thread to this post). Their listed in the Wheel Horse brochure for $1400 and weigh just over 300lbs.

Make sure you get all the parts that come with it.

mattd860

I have one and their great blowers (dennist linked my thread to this post). Their listed in the Wheel Horse brochure for $1400 and weigh just over 300lbs.

Make sure you get all the parts that come with it.

I told the seller that I want to remove the thrower from the tractor my self. I will also run the thrower on the tractor before removing it to inspect it. I want to make sure the auger shaft isn't bent and everything is included.

mr.pipes

If you have been using a single stage before I think you will be much happier with the two stage. It does not need to be loaded up to throw. I don't think it will throw a 1 1/2" as far as 6" but I think overall you should be happier with the two stage.

sgtsampay

If you have been using a single stage before I think you will be much happier with the two stage. It does not need to be loaded up to throw. I don't think it will throw a 1 1/2" as far as 6" but I think overall you should be happier with the two stage.

What he said. :banghead: @ stage are also much better at deep snow and frozen snow banks.

mattd860

What he said. :banghead: @ stage are also much better at deep snow and frozen snow banks.

Well that's honestly what I'm a little worried about. I know we are getting absolutely dumped with snow this year but normally, we get small storms totaling 4-8 inches on average. Next year and the next 30 years will probably be the 'norm' that we've experienced for the past 30 years.

My decision is set - I'm going to buy it. I just hope I don't regret it once the small snow storms resume in CT again.....

TT

Well that's honestly what I'm a little worried about.

There's absolutely no reason to be worried.

There's really no point in trying to compare a snowthrower to a snowblower anyhow, and most of what you are reading here is just everyone's opinion based on their experience - under continuously variable situations. (temperature, horsepower, depth, consistency, etc.)

It's kind of like trying to compare a moldboard plow with a rototiller.... they both dig up the dirt, but the tiller is able to provide a better end result with less effort.

The throwers are just that - they throw the snow out of the way. Nowhere in any manual is it written that they should successfully hurl snow 30 feet away from the machine, but they do enable an area to be cleared without having piles everywhere, like you would have when using a dozer blade. No matter what the depth of snow may be, if it finds it's way into the auger, it will get tossed out of the chute. It might not be the best design, but it sure beats shoveling.

The two-stage blowers have an impeller "fan" to actually blow the snow out of the chute at a higher velocity. They are designed to move snow as far away as possible from the machine. The feed mechanism is usually lighter and more susceptible to damage than a thrower, which is why they're normally protected by shear pins. They obviously have more moving parts - including the reduction gearbox for the auger drive. The smaller shafts and lighter auger flights don't react well to frozen chunks or other debris. More often than not, when a two stage does break, it costs more to repair.

The Berco blower is a great unit. They were being made long before Toro/WH built their own, and there are still variations being built today. As far as the parts availability goes for this particular model - I wouldn't let that influence your decision. The parts for the Toro blower aren't going to be around forever either, so you can't really use that as a reason to buy a Toro over a Berco.

I think you made a great decision to purchase the Berco, and I'm certain you will be pleased with it's performance. :banghead:

can whlvr

hey if its canadian its got to be good,we know about snow removal(except for the past few years,no snow here)

mattd860

I picked up the 2-stage snowblower yesterday. What a beast! The tag says BER-VAC. The seller even gave me a toolbox full of spare parts. I will take some pictures of the unit installed.

For those interested, The 310-8 has 1200 hours on it and the grass bagger is just a regular Wheel Horse bagger, not a Power-Flow. The grass travels to the bagger simply by the thrust of the mowing deck. If anyone is interested in the 310-8 pictured above with the deck and bagger, PM me and I will give you the sellers contact information.