Sign in to follow this  
neil

Never trust your postal service

neil

I just bought this mk v deep sea divers Helmet from the family of a guy who had owned it and cared for it for nearly 30 years.

the guy used to spend hours polishing when it tarnished but it look fantastic when it was all gleaming. It was his pride and joy , he loved it

Unfortunatly the guy died and his family decided to let someone else enjoy its beauty.

So i see it and also fall in love with it ,i alway wanted one right from when i was a kid ,so you can imagine my delight when i eventually get the chance to buy one.

So with the money that my children gave to me for a christmas gift for me to go and buy something that i wanted i deside to put the money to buy this divers helmet .

well i need to have it shipped to my house from the previous owner ,so i pay

rickv1957

I feel your pain as I have received some ruffed up items over the years.

neil

Thanx for your your concerns

What really pains me is the fact that UPS are clearlly trying wriggle out of my insurance claim even though that there has been an addmission of the packaging being changed at the depot .

As you can imagine i am really P"!

wheelhorse656

:ROTF: boy that suxs really bad neil!!! :thumbs::banghead: sorry this happend!

flyovrcntry

Something does not sound right about this.Why would ups try to cover this up?

They would just send it to you and pay the ins,why would they bother?I have to tell you I don't think your problem is ups.I would say you got screwed before it got to ups.

Operator

Something does not sound right about this.Why would ups try to cover this up?

They would just send it to you and pay the ins,why would they bother?I have to tell you I don't think your problem is ups.I would say you got screwed before it got to ups.

I'm kind of thinking the same thing here. That doesn't really sound like UPS, but yours may be different than ours over her but I doubt it.

Did you get tracking on it when it shipped? That could tell you when sellers got it out. Then where it got lost.

Hope you make out on this.

Randy

AMC RULES

I highly doubt UPS would try doing a botched repair, and put it in another box before delivering it to your door damaged? Something don't smell right to me. Sure, maybe they dented the top in transport, but the rest of that damage is PO I bet. :banghead:

GlenPettit

I'm sure you have some legal grounds here, over and above what Insurance covers.

- - - While in the care of UPS, one of their employees took the item you entrusted to UPS, altered it, made it useless, and then they tried to resend it to you; that's fraud, done by a UPS employee on behalf of UPS -- they are trying to defraud you.

You would have a very legal claim for the full value because of their attempt to fool you, which is something much more serious than a simple insurance claim for loss or damage. An employee of UPS, represents UPS and UPS is responsible for the actions of all their employees (only an employee could have altered that).

You need to seek legal action. Good Luck.

Glen

flyovrcntry

I'm sure you have some legal grounds here, over and above what Insurance covers.

- - - While in the care of UPS, one of their employees took the item you entrusted to UPS, altered it, made it useless, and then they tried to resend it to you; that's fraud, done by a UPS employee on behalf of UPS -- they are trying to defraud you.

You would have a very legal claim for the full value because of their attempt to fool you, which is something much more serious than a simple insurance claim for loss or damage. An employee of UPS, represents UPS and UPS is responsible for the actions of all their employees (only an employee could have altered that).

You need to seek legal action. Good Luck.

Glen

I just don't understand why a employee would do this,they just have no reason to do it.If it was damaged in shipping they would just send it in that condition.

neil

To those that that think that this is not like UPS

Then explain this.

I contact Ups to investigate what has happened then they tell me that it has been noted on Computer that the package has been Marked as REWRAPPED

So in other words it has been put in a different box other than the the original box, and why did the box arive at my house in an opened condition

my theory is that someone at the UPS Depot has MAYBE ACCIDENTALLY dropped the box and doesnt want to get in trouble decided to Try to repair or cover HIS/HER Ttracks.

My Step son has worked in these parcel depots and if you saw how your parcels were treated just to get the vehicle out of depot on time you wouldnt send anything in the post.

And why would the PO try and pull a trick like you haver suggested.

flyovrcntry

I don't have any doubt's that the postal damages things everyday.What I am saying is why would they try to cover it up.A postal employee here would not lose his job because he damaged a package.And you say someone tried to repair it,why would postal service do that,they just have no reason to do that.

chesbaycruiser

Neil,

What a crappy thing to have to deal with. The whole thing really does sound odd, no matter who shipped/damaged/attempted repair/re-wrapped/re-shipped it.

From my experience, the root cause of this problem is most likely inadequate packaging from the original shipper.

Hope you get some satisfaction from somebody!

Good luck,

neil

well maybe i have it wrong that they have tried to repair it, but it looks like a very new repair as it has chisel like marks that look like someone has tried to bend it back into place& why have they held the parcel for 4/5 days when it suposed to be a next day delivery .

I understand that accidents do happen and i would respect the fact that someone could have dropped it unintentionally .

But why would ups admit that they have put this item in a different box

So what happened to the original box and why wont they admit there was an accident and just let me claim against insurance .

Now i have send the divers helmet back to the depot for them to investigate what has happened. and wether to allow me to make a claim or Not.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I had ordered $700 of stainless insulated chimney pipe, chimney cap, etc. and it was all cosmetically damaged. UPS came out and returned one of the six boxes and left me with over $600 of still usable cosmetically dented pipe and accessories.

Whenever I pack something of importance I surround it by soft foam and then double box and add another layer of foam between the boxes. Then I shake it vigorously to make sure nothing moves. I pack assuming it will be treated like this...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_wGeErYTl8&feature=related

Having worked at UPS during college it may have fallen off one of the high conveyor belts during a jam which happens more during the holidays. Some of the conveyors were 15-20ft off the ground.

HorseFixer

I would immediatley file a police report and then take legal action. Like Glen says this sounds like Mail Fraud! Demand a like piece or a value suited to its real worth. I dont know about where you live but that story and BS their trying to feed you wouldnt fly here! <_< Sorry your going through this. :banghead:

Redbirdman

I have all the faith in the world in UPS.........it's people that worry me!

.....................HOWEVER: TRUE STORY

My friend ordered an aircraft nosewheel strut from a company in Oregon.

A week later he gets a UPS delivery and in the box is a Honda Car front end strut!

He calls the company and they are totally baffled.

But a few days later the company calls him and tells him some guy waiting for a Honda car part ended up with a nosewheel strut (it had the company name and phone on a sticker) .......

Both guys got the proper boxes with completely wrong items in the boxes, which means they had to have been switched while in the care of UPS..??????

But why? :banghead: The items were both packed really well and did not just 'pop out of a flimsy box'...........and why such a coincidence of both items from 2 parts of the country being so similiar (struts) swapped?????

UPS claimed it must have been 'the shipper!' , a totally lame excuse.

ED

VinsRJ

I have to agree, something is fishy here...... Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of any shipper, be it the US Mail or UPS. The only way to limit damage is to over pack an item. Be wary of the seller as welll as the shipper. Good Luck.

neil

Actually you are right the item should have been better packed then maybe it wouldnt have happened.

However the postal service should treat every single package as being Fragile

& also treat it with respect as it is your property.

Remember this cost me $100 just for collection & delivery which is quite a lot of money

I understand that accidents do happen , i fully understand that & my problem isnt too much about the damage ,my problem is the fact that they are trying to disown liability to the damage which will stop me from being able to claim on the insurance . so why sell me insurance if they are not going to allow me to claim.

what am i insured against?

In fact i actually had a small parcel delivered today, the post guy couldnt get the package in the post box so he threw it over the gate onto the concrete path.

fortunatly no damage. but this is how they are treating our goods

Horse Fanatic

In my experience, UPS will pay if they lose a parcel. But if it arrives damaged, they will always claim it was inadequately packaged regardless of how they treated it.

mcwh1950

Neil I can feel you pain. First off over on this side of the pond Ups and the post office are two different company and UPS is not allow to put anything in are mail box. Second you should get you money back since you pay for next day service and did not receive it. Yes I'm a retire postal employee this year after 37 and 1/2 year . 30 year working parcel. If we would if broke some thing we would if just wrap it up and sent it on in the same box and not a new one. This cann't be mail fraud if it was not mail thru a postal office.

neil

I had a message from UPS today saying that they accepted responsability for the damage of the Copper & brass Divers helmet.

They have also informed me that they have made an investigation into how the damage occured and can inform me that an agency employee tried to steal the helmet and it was damaged whilst transporting it to his vehicle as it was seen on cctv.

I have been told i will recieve a claims form in the post very soon.

So i would just like to rephrase what i said in the beginning

NEVER TRUST SOME PEOPLE THAT WORK FOR YOUR POSTAL SERVICE.

However i would like to say that I was wrong in thinking that UPS would try and wriggle out of this claim.

Thank you UPS for restoring some of my faith in the postal service

6wheeler

I have been watching this topic, I am sorry for your loss Neil. I too have gotten things shipped that came damaged. I believe that most of the time they try to watch damage, but it happens. The fact that they(UPS) tried and succeeded in an investigation of the incident and are willing to make restitution of some sort somewhat restores my faith in them. Good for you Neil for sticking to your guns. Pat

neil

thanks for your support Pat