Sign in to follow this  
mr.pipes

Snowblowing Tip

mr.pipes

We all know that you shouldn't stick your hands in the snowblower chute to clear clogged snow. You should use a stick or maybe a broom handle. If you do use a broom handle please make sure the auger is not engaged.

My broom fell off of the banking at the street without me realizing it. I was clearing the side of the road at the mailbox so the mail-person doesn't have to hang halfway out the window. Suddenly it sounds like I picked up a football sized piece of ice. I knew there shouldn't be any ice where I was so I looked to see what it could have been. All I saw was the head of my whisk broom and no sign of the handle. It was 8:30 so I couldn't see and I'm thinking the auger is going to be trashed. I grab a flash light out of my truck and couldn't believe it. The metal broom handle was wrapped around the impeller shaft completely flattened. I grabbed the pliers and wound it off the shaft. No broken shear pins, no damage at all. Not bad for a 15 year old MTD. Other than the thin metal and lousy paint I don't have a bad thing to say about that machine.

sinktiretile001.jpg

The handle looks a bit shorter but there was no sign of it anywhere. Guess I'll hit it with the Power-Flo in the spring.

sinktiretile002.jpg

theoldwizard1

As the singer Jim Croce used to say, "You don't spit (or blow snow) in to the wind, ..."

You are lucky. That that must have been a MTD broom!!

:thumbs::banghead: :ROTF:

mr.pipes

You are lucky. That that must have been a MTD broom!!

:thumbs::banghead::ROTF:

Just as bad, Wal-Mart. Quiki brand, same at Home Depot. In my defense, I bought that 15 years ago when I didn't know any better. In the MTD's defense, 15 years and maybe 12 oil changes, auger and drive cables replaced once and a carb cleaning for the first time this year. It needs new skid shoes and it will go another 5 years ANYWAYS. Well, if I am more careful with the broom from now on.

Redbirdman

I'll bet the WITCH is really pissed!

on the good side: ya got a nice whisk broome now...

and it coulda been worse.....................it could have been the neighbors cat!

meeeeeeoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww :banghead:

mr.pipes

I'll bet the WITCH is really pissed!

on the good side: ya got a nice whisk broome now...

and it coulda been worse.....................it could have been the neighbors cat!

meeeeeeoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww :banghead:

Funny you say that. The neighbors have an all white cat that is deaf. I don't know if it stays in when it snows or I just cant see it. The owner used to have a bell on its collar so the birds could hear it coming I guess. On a few occasions it has been in our backyard hunting. If it is focused on something with it's back to you it is quite easy to sneak up on it. It gets a little spooked when you tap it on the back. It's fairly young so I wasn't worried about it having a heart attack.

rmaynard

Looks like modern art.

Last winter, my snowblower (not on the WH) ate a couple of low voltage ground lights. I am still finding pieces a year later more than 30 feet from the sidewalk.

HorseFixer

Well "PIPES" just be glad it didnt happen to your :thumbs: no damage or not :banghead: