Sign in to follow this  
rickq.

squeal in hydro

rickq.

Hi I just joined this forum. My name is Rick, and I am thinking of buying a 16 hp Wheelhorse with a Quick-Way FEL tomorrow. The owner says everything works BUT the hydraulic pump squeals. It was like that when he bought it 2 yrs ago and he has had no problems using the loader.

So i am thinking of buying the tractor but how big of a deal is this? The loader works and tractor looks real good. It looks like a 1980's, has a 2 cylinder Onan. Is there a aftermarket pump or rebuild parts available anywhere? The tractor is $2,000 with FEL no weight box or any attachments. Am I nuts buying it? I always had JD, but these WH tractors are so dam nice looking, I am switching over.

Thanks for any help.

Save Old Iron

squeals all the time or just when the loader is worked heavy ?

wh79d160

Sounds like it's probably a D160??? Parts of the hydro's are weak on these models. Some noise is normal. Could be helped w/a simple fluid change or you may have a bad pump. The FEL should have it's own hydro pump that runs off the front PTO. If it's a D series, 80 is the last year they made them. Hydro parts for these are hard to find & they are $$$$$$. Good luck :banghead::thumbs: :ROTF:

rickq.

Sounds like it's probably a D160??? Parts of the hydro's are weak on these models. Some noise is normal. Could be helped w/a simple fluid change or you may have a bad pump. The FEL should have it's own hydro pump that runs off the front PTO. If it's a D series, 80 is the last year they made them. Hydro parts for these are hard to find & they are $$$$$$. Good luck :banghead::thumbs::ROTF:

Thanks for help guys. Let me clear this up, the noise is from the pump on the Kwik way FEL. Its when the loader is used ,not constant just squeal on start up. The hydro trans on tractor is 100 %, no problems. So is it possible to rebuild or replace the FEL PUMP? How much $$, to do that? Thanks again

wh79d160

Yes most of the pumps on the loaders are pretty common & rebuildable. I think I saw some where here where a new pump is like $159.00 from northern tool. do you know what model of :thumbs: it is? Get us some pics & a little more info on it . You can get lots of opinions of what its worth on here. You may want to add to your profile where your located. Good luck :banghead:

rickv1957

:banghead:

WH854

:thumbs: Good luck with your decision :banghead:

Chas

Jim_M

That pump is belt driven. Could the belt be loose or worn out?

wallfish

The loader pump shouldn't be a problem to rebuild or replace. Don't let that stop you if that's all that's wrong.

smoreau

:thumbs:

sounds like it ma be low on fluid for the FEL or wrong type. like others said this should not stop you from buying it. sounds like a good buy if it looks ok and no make shift parts on it I would buy it. :ROTF: :banghead:

can whlvr

i agree that if its the fel pump thats not a huge deal especially if the loader works and the squeel goes away when it warms up,my skid steer does that for about 5 seconds and doesnt do any more

Coadster32

My truck squeals a bit on startup, but I'm not getting rid of her anytime soon. I'd say go for it. :banghead:

hodge

I agree- if you like the price, don't let the noise stop you.

Do you have pics?

And, welcome to Resquare! Get ready to be addicted...

And, it's nice to see a green convert.

rickv1957

At the worst a pump is not a big deal.

rickq.

Thanks guys, I BOUGHT IT!! Got me a 516-H WH. It has the Kwik -Way bucket and its from 1987 or 1988. It has 600 hours on a 2 cyl Onan and is in very good condition. A couple of surface rust spots, engine is strong and no leaks,tires are cracked,needs a brake band.

The loaders hydro squeals at start up then its quiet,low fluid? It pushed 8 inches of snow down my 90 foot driveway with no issues. It has chains and 50# wheel weights on the rear tires, but I need to fabricate a box for more weight. That will help with steering,right? Rear tires are holding,not loosing traction all. What

a blast it is to use that loader, its worth every penny I paid for the tractor. ($2,000)

COUPLE of questions, please.

- How is the fluid is checked on the reservoir for the loader?

- Is the trans fluid checked on a warm engine,running or engine off?

- I need to get the repair/service manual anyone know where I can buy it?

I know Toro sells the parts,users manual. With my JD I have the manual to fix every mechanical part, is that available for the 516-H?

- I can not read the serial number, but found this number on the engine. Its 823287132, is that a production date?

- The tires are 23x8.50x12 and 16x6.50x8. Will going to larger tires on the front help in the handling? If so, What is the largest tire size I can put on the front? It is tough to steer,it hard to turn etc..

Thanks for any help with information.

-Rick

d180man

Hi :ROTF::hide::hide::banghead: :thumbs: