Sign in to follow this  
CTPATRIOT

What happened to Wheel Horse???

6wheeler

I agree with most of what was said here. But I do believe that if toro wanted to, they could have kept the brand alive. However, realistically looking at it. Do they want more higher end competition? What I mean by that is, how many brands are going to compete with JD, Cub Cadet, Simplicity, Kubota and Toro,as far as that goes, how many more could? If the market doesn't sustain itself. Toro really can't pay employees and expenses on equipment that won't sell. But, I do also think that in this day of having to get by on what you have, and with fuel costs seemingly to be ever rising,(which translates into higher food costs) there just may be a market for the true GT again. I am almost sure that Toro and the others know these trends much better than I. So, the Wheel Horse GT could make a return. I am sure the tooling and such from the past is probably locatable in their operation somewhere to be recalled if necessary. Its my fantasy and I'm stickin to it......... Pat

can whlvr

boy i shueeere hope toro will restart the gt line,but im not gonna hold my breath

In My Opinion:

1. Management failed to innovate and produce a diversified product line while also expanding into other tractor markets.

2. Management failed to re-invest and streamline operations to keep costs down.

I don't believe it's a matter of tractor cost because John Deere has never been known for being inexpensive yet they have done very well and the company stock is nearing an all time high in a down economy. Currently the John Deere x700 series Residential Garden Tractor sells between $9-$14K so their customers don't seem to take issue with those prices.

It's fun to contemplate what kind of machines could have evolved. I like my brother-in-law's 520h a lot, but I think by the 90's that machine wasn't really on the bleeding edge of innovation. Legacy designs, no matter how good they are at inception are not sustainable cash cows. The 'legacy' policy doesn't work in this economy anymore (I'm not sure it ever did except for maybe coke and snickers). Wheelhorse of the 90's and 00's should have been entirely different animals.

TT

How many of you are THANKFUL that Toro is no longer putting the Wheel Horse name on their latest models? I AM. I like the fact that the name is not associated with the stuff they're selling now. :banghead:

How many of you would run out and buy a new 315-8 "Classic" if Toro would start building them (in quantity) again? NOT ME. I would rather buy several used hydro/hydraulic lift tractors for the same money. :thumbs:

This is what you get: http://www.toro.com/home/tractors/index.html

Ken B

I'm with you on both counts! That GT 2200 looks like something ugly I just saw at Home Cheapo.

I was just looking at their line up, and I agree 100% with you. (on both points, as well) I just can't get it out of my head what the 2011 equivalent of a 520H or 315-8 could have (or should have) been. On the topic of a return, I perceive something vastly different technologically than those classic machines (not the Toro machines by the way), and on the contrary, I would take a strong look at that concept if it were simple and rugged.

TT

My opinion:

The xi models were the "successors" to the 520H.

They were a great tractor too - especially when compared to the current offerings - but the price tag ran a lot of potential buyers off in a hurry.

Kelly

Even if they did start making them again, real WH tractors, how many of us could really afford one?? you know we are talking $5000+ with a deck I know I can do alot of fixing on a nice older tractor, with that kind of money, now if we could get them to make new replacement parts, to fix the older tractors I'd be happy.

Brrly1

I second what you just said Kelly. That makes the most sense to me. Just reproduce some of the parts to make what we already have stronger.

See Ya, Bye Burly :thumbs:

:banghead:

TT

I'm not so sure that Toro making the replacement parts would be a good idea for us price-wise.

It would be nice if they would grant permission to the "aftermarket" to reproduce some parts though. :banghead:

Save Old Iron

you don't think one has anything to do with the other ...... there's just that look ..... seems like its everywhere these days .....

staypufft.jpg

:banghead: No comment - that about describes everything nowadays.

hodge

I predict that if the Wheel Horse name did surface again, it would be a rebadged Deere/Cubcadet painted red and sold at Lowes/Home Depot. I'm with TT- better the name to go out with dignity and respect, than to be associated with junk.

CTPATRIOT

I predict that if the Wheel Horse name did surface again, it would be a rebadged Deere/Cubcadet painted red and sold at Lowes/Home Depot. I'm with TT- better the name to go out with dignity and respect, than to be associated with junk.

No doubt,just look at Bolens! :banghead:

SAM58

Does anyone have any idea how many Wheel Horse tractors were produced over the years? :banghead:

Is it true that Most of the D Models were imported from Europe?

I have found 4 or 5 in this area setting out in the weather just rusting away and the owner says " I am going to fix it up someday"

You would think that in just a few short years the supply of good used WH's will dry up....

:thumbs:

TT
Does anyone have any idea how many Wheel Horse tractors were produced over the years?

AMC RULES

WOW! What nice looking tractors.

rick

As I get older (born in 1948), I tend to hang on to the older things more. Troy-Bilt tillers made at the old Rototiller factory, Wheel Horse tractors, my Ferguson TO30, M1 Garand rifles, cast iron skillets, 50's and 60's music. You get the idea.....I would rather fix up an old tiller or tractor than buy a new one.

farmer

From reading this thread i think i fall into the category.-

Loves his home and garden, recognizes quality and longevity.

I bought a brand new 312-8 in '93, and it wasn't cheap. nearly 20 years and 1000 hrs later it has cost me zero (outside normal running costs).

This tractor, i'm confident will "see me out" :banghead:

How could a manufacturer ever hope to stay in business with a customer like me!

WH854

You nailed it on the head farmer :banghead:

Chas

theoldwizard1

As I get older (born in 1948), I tend to hang on to the older things more. ... cast iron skillets...

Hey they still make these !

Lodge Cast Iron Cookware

rick

Yep, Got one! Also have some older ones given to me by older people.

truckin88

Simplicity and John Deere still make GT's, The x500 is roughly 6K, my issue is, for 6-8K I can get a clean used New Holland series 4x4 loader with 3pt pto and brush hog or something like a Kubota 7500 4x4 diesel etc. My neighbor bought a beautiful Simplicity GT with a Vanguard motor snow blower and weights new for 6500-7500.