Sign in to follow this  
CTPATRIOT

Drive belt question?

CTPATRIOT

The original drive belt on my 877 has seen better days.Just curious if factory is the way to go,or aftermarket?Are Toro belts that much better?

877belt.jpg

520HC

I think Toro is the way to go, but not sure if it is still available.OEM belts just seem to fit better, I think.

Redbirdman

I just walked past the belt selection in ACE HARDWARE and was surprised to see the right diameter belt for my 701 just hanging there for 8 bucks.

Although my existing belt works fine, it has been throwing black rubber dust off onto my fresh paint. (it was at least 20 years old)...and has a permanent old age twist in it (no comments please)

HOWEVER......the ACE belt fits perfect but it 'grabs' the motor oulley when not in gear and is real hard to get back in gear again. So I don't know if the rubber composition is wrong, or I'm doing something wrong or the Ace belt has to break in :banghead: but it is nice to know they have them right around the corner if they do work!

ED

Zaemo

I've been going through the same thing. I have changed motors and I'm trying to find the correct size belt. I had a 3L290 on it first. That's 3/8' wide by 29" long. I have a 4L300 (1/2" wide x 30" long) on it now. The 3/8 wide belt would slip like you're talking about, but the wider belt grabs the pully's also. I have adjusted the idler pulley and pedal so that it retracts more and that has helped yet it still turns the trans pulley making it hard to get into gear. I have newly painted pulley's and have been trying to stretch out the belt by pulling on it. The wider belt needs to be longer because it sits higher on the pulley.

What width came from the factory? Seems like the narrow belt slipped more under load. ACE had some of the belts for me also.

Brrly1

I believe that Wheel Horse belt# is 8005. Myself I try and use OEM they fit and work a whole lot better than aftermarket. That is My Opinion but I am also sure somebody will argue the fact. I believe that has been the # all of the way back starting with 875-876 an pretty sure it involves the 877. Good Luck.

See Ya, Bye Burly :thumbs:

:banghead:

CTPATRIOT

I just picked up a belt from Napa.One of the heavy duty green ones for $15-.

W9JAB

Any belt that will be used in clutching applications use a Kevlar wrapped belt it will have a "k" in the belt number.

The Kevlar gives superior grip, and will not burn when clutched.

CTPATRIOT

I installed the green belt,and it didn't work out too well :banghead: .I'll get a pic.

oldandred

I installed the green belt,and it didn't work out too well :banghead: .I'll get a pic.

should be a 4L 72inch belt

Redbirdman

WH854........thanks for that link to the other thread. I assumed that would be somewhat of the case but I could find no indication of a belt/stop guide in the basic owner/parts manual. (I even tried a home made stud version to no avail).

But that must be the fix since the guide would lift the belt up out of the drive groove where it would first grab.

Any idea where there would be a better photo of the exact part?

I wonder if that part would help Patriot with the green belt as well?

BTW, is a Kevlar belt bulletproof :thumbs:

ed :banghead:

Brrly1

Patroit, I do not know how big of hurry you are to get a new belt. If my memory serves me correctly I believe Daves Tractor World had one of those belts in the stuff he was trying to sell on ebay. I bet he would sell you the belt for a decent price. I just checked Parts Tree and they are pricey over $42. I will check the garage later on, I might have one. Send me an email at brrly1@yahoo.com

See Ya, Bye Burly :thumbs:

:banghead:

CTPATRIOT

I put the belt on and everything looked good.After driving around for a while,this is what it looked like.What did i do wrong??? :banghead: It's a Napa 4L720W 1/2"x72" Green shavings were all over the place!!!(belt WAS a nice green color)

wstdbelt.jpg

WH854

That nut in the picture is there a wire finger behind it. If it is that finger may need moved closer to the bottom of the belt just a guess by looking at the picture.

Chas

PS something is sure chewing that belt real bad :banghead:

That pully looks like it could use a cleaning also,that rust will play heck with a new belt :thumbs:

Zaemo

Anyone know what width belt is supposed to be on my 551?

Z

WH854

Z I would say 1/2 inch - length I do not know!!!! :banghead:

Chas

Redbirdman

PATRIOT.....it sure looks like the belt guide that they are talking about is already mounted to that nut in the photo! I suspect that spring looking wire heading straight down, (if it is that and not broken off) should be adjusted to nearly touch the belt and pully holding the belt up in the groove..........one way or the other the belt flakes are probably chipping off because the rusty still rough pully is grabbing at the belt while you have the clutch depressed. That is what mine seems to be doing.

I was looking for a flat guide like in that photo above, but I'd bet that spring guide will work too.

Gonna try something tomorrow!

ed

WH854

Also here is a picture of a belt guard with the fingers on it :banghead:

BeltCover.jpg

Chas

CTPATRIOT

Also here is a picture of a belt guard with the fingers on it :banghead:

BeltCover.jpg

Chas

My belt guard never had those type of fingers.Also the pulley is very clean where the drive belt goes.

flyovrcntry

Thats a high quality belt you have,the belt is not the problem.The belt has to be rubbing on something or you have a bad pulley.If the belt is the correct size you could have a pulley that was changed.

Anglo Traction

Anyone know what width belt is supposed to be on my 551?

Z

Z - Your 551 requires belt #1569 . section is 4L 1/2" x 5/16" and it's 28.95" long.

CTPATRIOT

I think i may have found the problem,something i overlooked.The wire belt guide below the belt in front was loose and just hanging(1st pic).In the second pic. with the belt on i tightened it up againts the belt.Is that where the guide should be?

gda1.jpg

gda2.jpg

Zaemo

Thanks Anglo. It had a 3/8 wide belt on it when I bought it. It seemed to slip quite a bit which actually helped when putting it in gear as discussed above. I have a 1/2" x 30" belt On it now but it grabs the pullies when idling. I don't have a belt tension guide of any sort on my 551. Maybe I need to fabricate one.

Glad you found your problem Patriot. Sorry it was at the expense of a new belt.

Z

520HC

I hate to do it but" I told you OEM belts fit better". I been at this a long time and found this out years ago. :banghead:

Redbirdman

PATRIOT.....it sure looks like the belt guide that they are talking about is already mounted to that nut in the photo! I suspect that spring looking wire heading straight down, (if it is that and not broken off) should be adjusted to nearly touch the belt and pully holding the belt up in the groove..........Gonna try something tomorrow!

So it was the spring guide.........great!

I made a temporary one today for my 701 and it too worked out well.

ED