Sign in to follow this  
drydave

Newbie with 702 and ?'s

drydave

I'm really glad to have located this site- tons of info for a newbie! I picked up a 702 today, no engine, no deck for a personal/class project for a HS class I teach. Planning to go through the machine's mechanical, structural, and sheetmetal in class. I did pay $100 for it- It looks like one of the previous owners had started restoration- 2 new front tires, and quite a bit of wirebrush/sanding started on the sheetmetal, fuel tank is absolutely clean. Some play in the steering that shouldn't be tough to snug up, front spindles/hubs do seem to have quite a bit of slop though.

I have run across where to locate the serial numbers on this site, but have been unable to locate it- is it stamped or on a plate that may have been removed in the previous restoration process?

I did talk the previous owner down in price due to it appearing to be stuck in gear- only to take a closer look this evening and noticing the shift pattern is an I and not an H pattern that we had been trying to get it into neutral to load....

I'm planning on actually it as a working machine. Does anyone have anything specific to be prepared for before I start tearing it down?

Save Old Iron

Documentation of the teardown / rebuild would go much smoother if digital pics are taken every step of the way. Just documenting which style fastener goes where can be priceless when all of the parts come out of the vibratory tumbler nice and clean.

And don't forget to drain the lube from the trans before splitting the case.

Otherwise, the rebuild will be fairly straight forward.

Good luck on the rebuild.

You may want to check out the "Board of Education" post I created a few weeks back.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...52&hl=education

My intent is to use the "Board" in a few classroom settings in my local area in exchange for some access to their Vo-Tech machine shops. If the "Board" is of any interest to you, I would be happy to advise you thru a buildup of a similar setup for your use.

Save Old Iron

and DryDave,

please, please, please test the paint on the tractor for lead content before placing any students in danger of inhaling / ingesting lead based products. That could end up being a serious healthcare liability for you if lead is present and is ignored.

sorekiwi

Serial #'s on the '62 tractors was on the top right hand corner of the shift plate.

sorekiwi2.jpg

(These 2 are reproductions by Vinlyguy, in the vendors section)

The early models didnt include a model #. The 502, 702, and 552 were all the same tractor but with the 702 being a Kohler electric start, the 502 was a Tecumseh recoil start and the 552 was a Tecumseh electric start. Often whats left of the wiring is the clue to what it actually was.

A nice simple and great looking tractor, you will find info on almost everything you will need here.

The spindle bores can be bushed if you need to, but most of the wear occurs on the spindles themselves. John (AZTrooper) made some nice replacements. http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...8254&hl=spindle

Usually the biggest amount of slop in the steering on these models is in the tie rods.

:ychain:

rickv1957

drydave

Serial #'s on the '62 tractors was on the top right hand corner of the shift plate.

The early models didnt include a model #. The 502, 702, and 552 were all the same tractor but with the 702 being a Kohler electric start, the 502 was a Tecumseh recoil start and the 552 was a Tecumseh electric start. Often whats left of the wiring is the clue to what it actually was.

:ychain: Found the serial number- lol- guess I didn't look at the decal close enough- again! Thanks!

d180man

HI :D:hide: good luck with it! :ychain: :D

drydave

photobucket isn't wanting to resize and save for me this morning, but here is the link to the album: 702?now to do some looking on the serial number- assumed it was a 702 because of the sheild decal.....

zieg72

Nice start to a great looking tractor. I will be reading the progress posted... :ychain:

sorekiwi

That is a saveable horse, it'll be a nice project.

The fact that it has the gauge in the dashboard, and the switch's on the tower point to it being an electric start tractor (702 or 552).

There is some kind of weird battery-box :ychain: going on there, I cant really tell what it is. The original battery box was smaller and welded to the frame:

IMG_1702_1-1.jpg

Also the front of the belt guard has been modified, from the factory it looked like this:

IMG_1697.jpg

(This is a 502, the Kohler belt guards are a little different where they bolt to the motor itself)

porkchop

:D :ychain:

drydave

The fact that it has the gauge in the dashboard, and the switch's on the tower point to it being an electric start tractor (702 or 552).

There is some kind of weird battery-box :ychain: going on there, I cant really tell what it is. The original battery box was smaller and welded to the frame:

Perhaps it in not a 702- previous owner picked it up at an auction.... I'm still trying to find the info in Redsquare on serial numbers- ran across some before I bought it, can't seem to find it now. :D

WheelHorseSerial.jpg

It looks like the battery box was cut off with a torch, perhaps turn stops? I'm guessing that someone replaced the original with a different engine at one time, or had some different plans for it. The only electrical wiring is new.

WheelHorseframe.jpg

sorekiwi

Unfortunately the serial # wont identify the tractor on these early models. Not that it matters either, you now know that it is a 702 or a 552.

I'm thinking the battery box mod was for a different engine, there are pics of replacing one in my Lawn Ranger thread here: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3240

What are you going to do for an engine?

drydave

Unfortunately the serial # wont identify the tractor on these early models. Not that it matters either, you now know that it is a 702 or a 552.

What are you going to do for an engine?

Thanks for the help on the serial number- guess I have the choice of 552 or a 702 to choose from. Pics of the projects are very impressive- would love to restore like original, but will probably have to use a "whatever available that fits" recoil start when it gets to that point. I do not want to mess up the hood, etc. When funds are available can update to electric start- there were quite a few 5.5 Honda's around here that may work for a while...I personally think it would be neat to get a 5HP diesel, but they are way out of my current price range.

btrrg1969

ducky

dclarke

:ychain: Please keep us updated as you go, this will be interesting to follow. Good luck.

fabricator2009

chazm

Hello & :D

Chaz :ychain:

Operator

If you do put a Honda in it, keep telling the tractor it's only temporary. :ychain:

Wheel Horse :D

Randy

drydave

If you do put a Honda in it, keep telling the tractor it's only temporary. :ychain:

Wheel Horse :D

Randy

After I posted that I figured someone would comment about the honda.... Have located a 12 HP Kohler at a neighbors, will need some work- How many HP does a guy dare run through the 5025 tran/differential and have it last? Hate to tear it up..

puddlejumper

Dave without doing some hacking the biggest engine you can get in there kohler wise is a 8 hp. and even then you have to use a 7hp air cleaner. They didnt lenghten the hood on that style tractor to except a 8hp until 64.

sorekiwi

There are quite a few pics around of the 6 hp Honda's or clones of the same in Roundhood tractors.

Trouble is that the cylinder slopes forward, so you have to move the engine back a bit. This requires modifying the battery box and the belt guard (both non issues for you!). The other problem with this is that the pulley ends up in a different place which requires modifications to the PTO assembly so you can drive a deck or snowblower etc. If you're not planning on running any attachments then that wont be an issue either.

Would probably be the cheapest way to go...

puddlejumper

DDave, please excuse me for highjacking your thread for a observation/question.

Guys I notice that on daves tractor the implement lift has a multiposition Height selector my 552 does not have this and I cant tell for sure if kiwis 502 has it or not due to glare in the picture. Was this a optional height selector or a Mod by somebody. :ychain: Just curious never seen one like it.

Sorry dave, Inquiring minds want to Know.

sorekiwi

Guys I notice that on daves tractor the implement lift has a multiposition Height selector my 552 does not have this and I cant tell for sure if kiwis 502 has it or not due to glare in the picture. Was this a optional height selector or a Mod by somebody. :ychain: Just curious never seen one like it.

Good eyes, I hadnt noiced that.

Here is a slightly better pic of mine:

Quadrant.jpg

I am reasonably sure there is only 3 detents in it. Maybe someone made a couple more in Daves? (which isnt a bad idea).