Sign in to follow this  
FreddieFarmall

Troy Bilt tiller question

FreddieFarmall

Hello: I am trying to replace the shaft and bearings/seals on the tine drive of a Troy Bilt Horse model tiller. I had a heck of a time getting the seals out, even though they were leaking. Now i don't see how to get the bearings and shaft out. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Fred P. :whistle: :WRS:

TT

Freddie,

How are you making out with your tiller?

I looked around online for some info and haven't found much yet. I did find THIS on a message board, but don't know if it applies to your tiller, or if it will even help you. :whistle:

wh500special

fred,

Those Horse tillers are awesome machines! i bought one for my dad a few years ago with an 8hp Kohler and it is a great tiller. Even though it is only 20"wide, I think it worked up my garden in less time than my 36" tractor mounted tiller. Love it.

I haven't browsed there in a l-o-n-g time, but there are two groups on Yahoo about the TB tillers. Both seem(ed) to get a lot of traffic and were monitored by guys who made their living working on those things.

Try:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/troybilttillerclub

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/troybilt

Good luck,

Steve

FreddieFarmall

Hi Terry and all:

I haven't looked at this thread lately, so sorry about letting this topic drop. I borowed a repair manual from a neighbor to my inlaws who rebuilds small engines and learned that the left side of the housing is a seperate piece held on by 5 or 6 allen head screws that were hidden underneath the old grease and dirt. It was a piece of cake to get the shaft, bearings, and bronze gear out after exposing them and removing this whole casting. The one thing I am still a little uneasy about is that you need to use various thickness gaskets on this side piece to adjust the play in the tapered roller bearings. I put it all back together with the old gaskets and it seems OK. There was also a thin thrust washer on the insde of the left bearing as shim, I guess.

By the way, Terry, we were able to get out of the other committment for May 31, so am planning to come to the NAMA show and auctioni after all. Look forward to seeing you there. Do you know if you need to pre-register tractors or just show up?

Fred

TT

No pre-registration necessary, Fred.

Unload your tractor(s) somewhere outside the fence and drive them through one of the gates and down the area where you usually see me. :whistle: You can register at the "camper trailer" after you find a place to park.