Sign in to follow this  
Coadster32

Home made Chess Set

Coadster32

A couple of people on this board had requested that I post up some pics of a chess set that I had made. All things being equal, I figured, what the heck. :D

Just turn your head sideways, and check them out. (Sorry, I should've turned them before I up-loaded to photobucket)

pics020.jpg

Pawn

pics019.jpg

Bishop

pics018.jpg

King

pics017.jpg

Knight

pics016.jpg

Rook

pics014.jpg

Queen

pics012.jpg

I designed and made this set approx. 10 years ago, (3rd generation machinist here). They are a bit dusty, but the plating is still perfect on them. One set is Chrome, and the other is Black Anodize. They are made from 6061 alum. At the time in our shop, we were crazy busy, and I just put aside some bar ends. I burned a bunch of mid-night oil on making them, as machine time was hard to come by. Just to get an idea of scale, the king is 6inches tall. :ychain:

pics023.jpg

The Field of Battle is mirrors and black tiles cut into three inch squares. The field will sit on this.

pics011.jpg

Two layers of 3/4 plywood. Glued and screwed 90deg. from each other. I plan on using some extra hardood flooring from the house to surround it.

pics010-1.jpg

These are the legs in raw form. They are slugs of Baseball stock (ash). They will be disigned to look like this.

pics022.jpg

A square morphed into an octogon.

I bought a nice set of chairs for the project also, ($$cha-ching$$). As much as I'd like to finish this project, the table is going to be approx. 3ft square, and I'm afraid that my kids might wreck it now. I will prob. have to wait a few more years to complete it. It might work out better, because then maybe they can help me finish it. Then when I hand it down to them, it'll mean more.

The knight might look familiar to some. It sits on top of my 551. (and my 854 soon)

pics008-1.jpg

pics007-1.jpg

I might consider making a few more hood ornaments for others it there's interest. :D

massey

Man, that is some excellent work. Put me in for a hood ornament if you get a chance.

MikesRJ

Nice work! :ychain:

JimD

That's some fine craftsmanship. Excellent work! :ychain:

64s

I've seen this set in person, as nice as the pictures are, it is ten times more impressive in real life. Chris really put some precision into it - the pieces look flawless. By the way, the 854 is coming along nice. :ychain:

Kelly

:ychain: Nice is all I can say.

racinfool40

:D I'd say Nice!!!!!!you have some skills!!!VERY NICE!!! :ychain: That hood ornament is awesome if you get the time I'm in for 1 or 2!!!!Thanks for sharing!!!

W9JAB

Put me down for a hood horse!

:ychain::D :D

Uncle BO

Chris beautiful !!! you can count me for one. :ychain: :D

horsefeathers

Chris I champion your skills and knowlage!

That's what it takes to win a game of chess!

10 years in the making and still going!

That's determanation, another chess skill!

Very nice! I challengen you to a game when your finnished!

:ychain: HORSEFEATHERS!

Oh, and can you add an ag tire to the horse hood ornament?

I'am in too!

dgoyette

That is some fine work Chris. Very Nice!

Gene_S

Chris that is some beautiful work... :ychain: I've seen alot of things good machinist make and your by far above them the best...

I'd also like to buy a hood ornament if you sell any for my 853...

Super job... :D

AMC RULES

Chris I champion your skills and knowlage!

Oh, and can you add an ag tire to the horse hood ornament?

Are you making the hood ornaments for sale here on the forum? I agree with horsefeathers idea, one on an ag for me too please? How awesome would that be, custom hood ornaments? Too cool. :ychain:

CasualObserver

Chris, that set looks bad-a$$!! Beautiful job!! I can't imagine the midnight oil stocks you went through. The cliche' is that you should work doing something you love, and you clearly do. Congrats on that. :ychain:

Duff

Chris, beautiful work! :ychain:

Put me down for two of the hood ornaments if they go into production, please! :D

Duff :D

buckeye

I love the game of chess, that would make a nice gift for someone. Did I mention I love the game of chess? :ychain:

stevasaurus

I love the game of chess, that would make a nice gift for someone. Did I mention I love the game of chess? :D

Me too...did I mention that I collect chess sets??? Super nice Chris...thanks for sharing. :ychain:

VinsRJ

Sweet Jesus! :ychain:

Horse Fanatic

Wow, that is extremely nice!

Coadster32

Thanks a bunch for the compliments guys. :ychain: Really appreciated. I was in my early 20's when I did them. (still full of piss & vinegar). One night I was at the shop untill 4am, and my shift started at 6am. That was a long two days. :D

It's just pure coincidence that 15 years later I got into :D and it looked pretty nice on the hood for size and all. Not sure how the sizing would be with an AG tire under it. My dad always said that a job worth doing, is a job worth doing right.

dclarke

Very nice Chris! :ychain:

Ken B

That is some serious craftsmanship Chris. Wicked nice! :ychain:

horsefeathers

Chris, Your an old ag tire guy!!! John said so! (another version of the rat)

Knight+ ag tire =Wheel Horse! Super Cool! Can ya'?

wheelhorse656

nice job if you make any ill take 2 please. oh and horsefeathers grate idea!! :ychain:

Greg Parnell

Great work on the chess set!!