Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

C520 FEL update

kj4kicks

Hey Guys, Figured I'd start a new thread so you wouldn't have to load all the pics every time.

The front wheels have been bead blasted, and are painted and clear-coated. I'll mount up the new tires in the morning. So now it will have all 4, brand new 4-ply tires. The outer wheels on the dual setup will get done "one of these days". Also going to order some new thrust bearings & washers for the spindles.

Next issue: The axle pivot is worn. A new pin will make it better, but it has actually egg-shaped the hole in the front of the frame, very noticeably. So tomorrow I'll head to Tractor Supply to get a bushing, grind the rest of the hole round, and weld it in. Remember, this thing has 1800+ hours on it, and though it works well (and doesn't smoke a bit), I don't think the previous owner was much on "frame maintenence". Just about everything that has a pivot, was worn !

I already have new steering shaft bearings, so I will be addressing that tomorrow as well.

It won't be long until I can get back to the 160 hood conversion. BTW, the 520 hood is about 4 inches wider, so I can't just change the grille part (bummer). I hope to get the completed hood, fender pan, and running boards all blasted and painted in the next few weeks. It feels like I'm counting the days now until the next show season starts !

Eldon.... obsessed with shiny stuff

T-Mo

Sounds like it's coming along nicely. Can't wait to see the finished product.

kpinnc

TSC also has bronze insert bushings, and I think the have them up to 1 inch+ diameter with a flange on one end, or just straight with no flange. If not, Lowes certainly does. they should be plenty strong enough to support the stress of low speed spindles, even with the FEL.

Welding new steel inserts (aside from welding cast, which is pretty hard to do correctly) may make the spindles wear more to match up to the new sleeves. Kinda like having new keys cut to an old lock. It wears the lock out FAST. Bronze may wear out over time, but it won't damage the spindles, and they would be really easy to replace...

I use them on the older Wheel Horse hood pivots. Usually, the hood support has a egg shape to it from years of use, so I drill them out to round again, and use a bronze insert. It tightens the hood back up, dosen't squeak when you raise it, and looks pretty sharp too.

My two cents...

kj4kicks

Hi kp, Thanks for the input. Actually, the spindle area is ok. I was talking about where the axle center pivot goes through the frame crossmember. That part is steel, and should weld up pretty nice. Of course, if I can't come up with a steel bushing, a bronze one will work if I just grind the steel out to a light press-fit so the bushing doesn't move around.

The guy with the hood on ebay also just listed some wheels. It would be nice to have a matching set for the duals, so I'm going to bid on those also. Four 23x10.5x12 tires across the back oughta do it !

Night folks !

Eldon.

nylyon

Like the new Avatar!

kj4kicks

The wheels turned out great, and look good with the new tires on the front. Better yet, they work GREAT ! I replaced the steering shaft rear bearing, and re-shimmed it. Much better. I will take care of the front one, and axle pivot, on another day. The weather was still good yesterday, and called for a major cool-down and rain today (and it did). So I wanted to get the rest of the topsoil done and seeded.

So now it'll be muddy for a day or two. Maybe I'll tackle the other stuff....

Somewhere in there, I need to work on some of the stuff for my "real job" ! :D

Eldon.

PS. Thought you'd like the new avatar !

kj4kicks

It's getting closer.....

Cut the hole in the 160 hood yesterday morning, and took the hood and the fenderpan to be blasted. Just picked them up, and got home.

Now it's time to cut the louvers, heat shield, and hold-downs out of the 520 hood and weld them in.

The hood and pan have some light pitting all over, which I knew they would. A little high-build primer and sanding before they're painted, and they'll be smoooooth !

Time to head to the playroom, um, I mean garage!

Eldon.

nylyon

You know, I look forward to the C-520 updates, probably not as much as you do but still..... Looking forward to seeing some progress pictures.

T-Mo

I also look forward to the finished product.

kj4kicks

Just came in to grab a bite.....

I forgot that I also needed to add about 2" of the lower grille/hood pivot to raise the front of the 160 hood. So that ate up some time, but it's done. Also have the heat shield (above the battery, to keep heat away from the gauges, etc) fitted and welded.

I am fitting the ears on the back of the hood, for the hold-downs, next and saving the louvers for last, which may still be this evening.

Still need to work out the headlight situation.

Thanks all for the encouragement !

Remember Karl, this is ALL your fault !! LOL

weldin' Eldon

kj4kicks

OK, about 7 hours into the hood today. Everything is cut, fit, and welded in. Everything! Next to grind down all of the welds, and blend it all together. Gotta tell ya, it looks pretty wild sittng there on the 520 !

Karl, let me guess..... now you want me to repro it in fiberglass.....

Eldon.... done weldin'

nylyon

Nah, this is the 21st century, Carbon Fiber :D

kj4kicks

Yeah, OK, carbon fiber then.... Like it wasn't fun enough trying to weld 1990's metal to 1970's metal. I'll tell you, there is a huge difference in the thickness !

I'll get some pics tomorrow night, if I can remember to bring the camera along home.

Eldon.

nylyon

Eldon, did you get the original hub caps with the 520? If not, the other difference between the original C's and 520's would be the wheel color from the white / off-white to grey. I personally think that the white wheels looks better anyway! Of course with the hubcaps it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Well, since I'm probably not going to be getting a new horse any time soon, living vicariously through the horses of others. :D

kj4kicks

I'm going to stay with the silver wheels for this one. The 160 and 1077 both have the cream colored wheels. I did not get hubcaps with the 520.

Oh yeah, here's a couple of teaser pics of the hood:

hood1.JPG

hood5.JPG

There are 4 other pics, posted here:

C520 Hood Pics and Text

Until next time.......

Eldon.

nylyon

The worlds first C-520 hood! Beautiful work. Can you imagine the talk among those who don't know on the authenticity of the C-520?

kj4kicks

Hey Karl, Picture this....

2 guys get into a heated discussion about what it is (of course, I overhear this), and decide to go find someone who will know for sure. As they walk away to find help, I open the trailer, pull 2 pins, and switch hoods......

Think they'll be surprised when they return?

I won't bother to switch fender pans, because they probably won't notice that part.

Geez, I am sooooooooo BAD !

Eldon.... aka "Sneaky E"

nylyon

You'll need to put the C-520 Automatic decal on a magnet so you can slide it off when the tractor becomes it's alter ego the 520-H

T-Mo

What's really bad is when a novice like me sees it and would just assume that Wheel Horse made a C-520 without really question it's authencity. I've seen a guy over on wfm paint his 317 black, replace the original KT17 series I Kohler with a Kohler Magnum and had special decals made "317 SE" and people asking him when did Deere make that model.

kj4kicks

I think the C520 decals will be on the wide part of the hood, near the latch. It will also have the old style "Wheel Horse" decals on the side. BTW, the originals from the 160 are identical to the one on the front of the FEL. So it should look "just right".

I got talked into going out for dinner last night, so no hood progress.

Tonight, I'll be a-grindin' !!

Eldon.

Curmudgeon

I'll tell you what's bad.

Bad would be me putting one my creations next to this one. You know, screw it, close enough and to heck with prep before painting, just shake the can and spray, me.

Guys like Eldon is why I will NEVER, EVER take a tractor to a show. LOL

Dale, knows his capabilities, and sticks to them!

kj4kicks

C'mon to the show Dale.... I'll also have the rattle-can C160 and the 1077 with 40 year old paint. "Run whatcha brung"

Besides, the bottom half of the 520 will be as ugly as ever... I'm not touching it !

I did get all of the grinding done tonight. Now back to the light duty blaster to finish off the Toro red !

Eldon.

Curmudgeon

Oh, I come on to the show, as a spectator! LOL

My plan was to put together a show tractor. Fix up the 855 and put the fence row mower on it. Don't see too many fence row mowers around, in fact, mine is the ONLY one I've seen.

Are you planning on the Wheel Horse Collectors Club show in Pennsylvania in '08? I'm hoping to be there, and maybe a few others that are close by. Which aren't many.

Dale

kj4kicks

Got the final blasting done this evening, and fiberglassed all of the seams. By tomorrow night, it should be in primer. Picked up a nice set of small 55 watt driving lights today. I need to weld in a small mounting plate, and then they will hide behind the OEM headlight lense. Only difference is there will be a slightly blue tint when you look at it. At least I'll actually be able to SEE now. They are brighter than the originals, and also about 4" higher, thanks to the 160 hood. I'll be able to see something besides the back of the bucket!

Hopefully, finished pics by the end of the week !

As for the PA show.... YEP ! I'll be there. It's only about 1/2 hour from me.

Bring that fence row mower, I'd like to see it!

Eldon..... still with no plow.

CasualObserver

Eldon, doesn't "brighter" also mean hotter? be careful those fancy new lights don't melt and / or cloud up your lens. :D Just a passing thought.