Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

C520 FEL update

kj4kicks

Another hot-rodding trick. The lense will be there, complete with screw heads. But it will be attached with velcro so I can just pop it off.

The lights will be an inch or so away from the lense, so I'm not even sure the heat will be an issue. But just in case.....

Eldon.... head to toe in hood dust !

kj4kicks

Well, there's a quart of high-build primer on the hood and fender pan. By tomorrow it will be nice and dry, and ready to sand. Hopefully it's enough to cover the small pits, etc. If not, I'll hit it again (maybe). Then comes the PPG urethane paint job. If all goes well, they'll be some red pics for you guys by this weekend.

Also spent part of the day picking up a 42" snowblower that I got off ebay. It's for the real C160, or whichever one it lands on!

Eldon... with a touch of gray.....

kpinnc

Touch of gray is good. You'll know you've had fun when you sneeze Wheel Horse red...

Can't wait to see the finished machine!

Kevin

kj4kicks

Just a quick update today (should I be starting these "Dear Diary"? )

The high build primer did the trick. Sanded it down tonight, and it took care of 95% of the pits. Good enough! Covered all the underside seams with 3M seam sealer to keep the moisture out. That's great stuff, and I use it all the time. Let it set up, and you can paint right over it. Set the heat at 60 in the garage, so by tomorrow, it should be ready.

All it needs now it a light coat of regular primer (for where I sanded through), and then some shiny red!

Eldon.... with a not-so-quick update after all....

kpinnc

I dunno folks....

I think he's doing this on PURPOSE! :D

Just joking- but definately want to see it!

Kevin

Curmudgeon

Just a quick update today (should I be starting these "Dear Diary"? )

The high build primer did the trick. Sanded it down tonight, and it took care of 95% of the pits. Good enough! Covered all the underside seams with 3M seam sealer to keep the moisture out. That's great stuff, and I use it all the time. Let it set up, and you can paint right over it. Set the heat at 60 in the garage, so by tomorrow, it should be ready.

All it needs now it a light coat of regular primer (for where I sanded through), and then some shiny red!

Eldon.... with a not-so-quick update after all....

Pits = patina

Patina = character

Character = leave them in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dale, does it the EASY way. LOL

kj4kicks

Ok Guys, it's RED ! (and so is the cardboard on the garage floor. Learned a long time ago about painted concrete)

It turned out pretty good, but the color is slightly lighter than I wanted. It's about the color of the original 160. Not as dark as the '91 520, like I wanted. So now I need to repaint the running boards and side covers. Welcome to my world !

Anyhow, there is still some "character" in it. We'll see how it looks tomorrow after it lays down. Only got one run in it. I'll give that a few days to cure, and sand it out. I don't think it will need wet-sanded and buffed, but you never know.

I'll bring the camera home and get some new pics.

Time for supper, then to the bowling alley.

Later....

Eldon.

nylyon

I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product. So if you paint the running boards and side panels, you'll have to paint the original hood and rear fender pan the same color as well so you can interchange them right? Anyway, I'm betting that this is going to be one great looking FEL!

kj4kicks

See, there's the problem with the paint not matching. I doubt that I will ever use the stock stuff, so it will stay original (at least for now). The running boards and side covers would be easy enough to change back later. Or I could just paint them gloss black and be done with it.

Since the FEL won't really see alot of summer action, maybe I'll repaint the framework and bucket next year.

BTW, if you're near a cemetary headstone store, most of them also do sandblasting. It is very reasonable. I paid $24.00 to have the hood and fenderpan blasted, top and bottom. Be aware, though, it is SAND blasting, with a higher pressure than most bead blasters. Early WH sheetmetal is no problem, but the later (thin) stuff may get warped.

Eldon.

kj4kicks

OK guys, here's 2 of the pics of the (nearly) finished product:

h2.JPG

h4.JPG

You can see the rest of the pics (7 total) at:

Painted C520 Hood

The color did darken up a bit when it dried, but I'm still going to do the side panels and running boards.... next week!

Eldon.

kpinnc

That's very sharp Eldon, looks even better than I thought it would!

Kevin

nylyon

Eldon, that looks incredible what a nice job fabricating and painting, I wish I had a third of your talent! Now, it looks like it needs a little washing.....

nylyon

So for the headlight cover, maybe you can either get a piece of glass and etch it with some lines, or maybe some steel screen which can be painted, maybe paint on the wheel horse logo or something? I have no idea how hot it would get but the screen would allow some cooling, minimal light loss and might make for a good alternative to putting on and off the headlight cover.

kj4kicks

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I will probably stay with the velco method. It will probably stay off whenever it's home, and only be attached at the shows.

Never can tell, though. Maybe I'll make a trick aluminum piece!

Posted the pics on MTF... can't wait to see what they think.

Eldon.

Rollerman

Okay I seen the pics on the "bright lights" thread 1st & commented on how nic the hood looked there.

I'll say it again....Eldon that is incredible...I wish my level of talent was in the same state ...heck continent as yours..LOL

Stephen in northern IN.....thinking about an Andy Warhol paint job...atleast I'd have an excuse then?

Sparky

All I can say is....Absolutely Awsome!!! Your fabricating and Paint skills are incredible!

Mike...lookin forward to seeing it at the show in person....

T-Mo

Eldon,

Awesome job - that looks incredible. Great job. It just makes me anticipate the finished product even more.

kj4kicks

I sanded out the run tonight, and then I just couldn't stand it. Next thing I know, the hood and fenderpan are wet-sanded and buffed. WOW !

It still has a few "character" marks, but that's ok with me.

Thanks all for the compliments and encouragement along the way.

Eldon... still smilin'