Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

How rare??

Kelly

I have a chance to buy a front mounted reel mower for a RJ/suburban, it looks mostly complete, and in pretty good shape, the rubber tires on the casters are gone but the casters are there, needs a new chain, blades are not beat up, mount brackets look to be all there, engagement rod it there but broke at the treads, no belt guard but has belt, most of the paint is there but faded bad with minor rust showing, it has set outside for a few years, I just need to know about what they are worth?? and how hard to find?? I know all the how bad you want or need where you live and so on...... I'm just looking for a basic idea. Thanks

mavfreak

I would say it is. Love to see a picture of it. I used to work on gang reel mowers

stevebo

In the condition you are saying I would not pay more than $150 for it. It will need a lot of work and parts are hard to find. If complete and operable then $300-$400 is reasonable.

wallfish

I would love to add one to my collection. They seem to be pretty rare.

ducky

i would jump on it. if u think it is worth the money. i haven't seen very many.

TT

Before everyone started thinking this stuff was made of gold, probably $40 to $100......

but now you're looking at twice that for what you've described ~ unless the seller doesn't have internet access. :)

Something like that is going to get bolted to the front of a tractor and rarely (if ever) used - but if you want it, you want it.

I do know a guy that can sharpen it for you. :thumbs:

mavfreak

When and by whom were these made.

The reason I ask is how available is the parts like the bed knife and the reel.

That would be a big determination on the price. How much stock is left To grind.

TT

Late 50's/early 60's and sold directly as WH pieces. (I don't know who they had making them)

You won't find replacement reels or bedknives for them - at least not easily, so if you have any intention on using them, they better have enough "meat" left for at least a clean-up grind.

I really don't see anyone wanting to actually mow their entire lawn with one, but I would have to try it out at least once. :thumbs:

Kelly

Well the guy does have access to the net, and has 2 other WH's one is for sale pretty nice orig, RJ-58 with a very nice ID tag but it has a briggs transplant, he has snowblade, bottom plow, belly mower, and extra parts, like fenders and rolling chassie, he is thinking of selling, I think I'll pick up the reel mower this week, I got him to drop the price, just by asking, to a level I thought was about right, and you guys backed up.

I don't really want it but thought they are kinda hard to find I don't see many of them, I wish it fit a front engined tractor then I would be posting pictures of my new toy, not asking questions.

TT

They were also made for the front-engined tractors, Kelly - and with your luck, you should be able to find the pieces in the junkyard to convert it. :thumbs: :)

wallfish

I don't care about the reel and back knife condition as long as they're there and not all bent up. I doubt it would ever be used except like TT said, a test run. I would like to have one just to display.

Kelly

I wish I took pictures of it, the ones I have seen had a chain guard like a RJ drive belt guard, this one has a piece of flat stock bent to follow the shape of the chain and is welded to the frame, and open so you can see the gear to gear and chain sprockets with chain, the knifes all looked good as the rear blade, like I said it looks pretty good mainly needs caster wheels and a new chain, even the rear rollers are in nice shape.

I'll post pictures this week after I pick it up.

I seen it at his house 2 years ago, and he is hard to get ahold of, so today I was going to pick up a free Toro kind of a zero turn and he was in the yard so I stopped to see if he still had the stuff.

stevebo

Kelly,

I think this is the belt cover you are talking about?

runningRJ-1.jpg

beltcoverinside.jpg

I have a front mounted reel mower that is going on my 55 and to the show in June :thumbs:

• Like 1

Kelly

Yes and I see the engagement stuff is partly on it also, that might be hard to find.

mavfreak

I would love to get ahold of one of these.

I'm sure if I did I could figure out who made it for them and see if parts are available.

After 20 years of working on every kind of reel mower. I could certainly figure something out. I haven't worked or ground mowers for about 3 years so I probably forgot more than most people know about reel mowers. I wouldn't mind getting ahold of an old national mower and adapt it to a wheel horse.

HorseFixer

Kelly is the model # tag on it? was it a LMR-301? Did it kinda look like this?

WH4Sale071.jpg

WH4Sale069.jpg

WH4Sale068.jpg

mavfreak

So thats what one looks like...Would you happen to know the length of the reel?

Kelly

yes just like that one, and about that shape, this one has rubber rollers on the back and I think 4 or them, and it has the rear side mounting plates.

mavfreak

Oh crap...I really want one now!

VinsRJ

I have had a couple of these reel mowers, they are about as cool as they come. But, keep in mind they are heavy and do not raise but more than a couple inches off the ground.

After a couple of times moving an RJ around with it attached the cool factor wore off for me and they both went bye-bye. For the right price I would buy another reel set-up just to flip. :thumbs:

As for rear rollers go to Wal-Mart and pic yourself up a couple wooden rolling pins from the kitchen department. Take them apart and cut the rollers in half. Presto! New rear wooded rollers. :)

taycotrains

below are some pictures of two types of reel mowers.

the first one is on a 1960 550 with a enclosed gear case...this model goes on a front engine tractor also...also note the belt guard is the wrong one it is off a early reel mower like the one above.

P1040874.jpg

P1040876.jpg

1961 401 with reel mower

P1040858.jpg

BT

mavfreak

These really look alot like a Jacobson greens mower the older style walk behind ones

Kelly

Well I bought it tonight, and picked up a mid mount cultivator with the lift link, it was dark when I got home I'll get pictures tomorrow after work.

CasualObserver

Here's a pic of mine with the correct guard and the engagement lever for the other style like Bob posted above....I love this tractor... 99% original condition and runs like a top. Only non OEM parts on it are a new carb and wrong muffler.

09show15.jpg

Never been used since I've had it... needs some bearings replaced, but it makes a heck of a conversation piece at our show up here.

• Like 1