chevelletown

The most collectible Wheel Horses

chevelletown

I'd like to pose a question to the world's largest group of Wheel Horse enthusiasts. :) In your opinions what are the most collectible tractors or accessories. What makes them so collectible? Low production numbers, special features, hard to buy (because everyone wants one) Is there a model that always seems to be out of reach?

It would be interesting to see what the cumulative top ten for this group would be, and perhaps crown one the holy grail. :thumbs:

daemon2525

420lse

Gene_S

Ken I'd say the most collectible would be the RJ's. RJ-25 and RJ-35 the most. I might even put the lever steer and senior in front of them. For attachments I'd say the good old sickle bar, all of them. I'd love to have a sickle bar!

BPjunk

The "What I feel the Rarest" Wheel Horse tractor model is the RJ-25, from what I understand is only 11 of them are known to exsist. I have only seen two of them that are original but have looked at a few fakes. One is in Oklahoma and the other in western Michigan.

Wild Bill

mavfreak

I agree with BP the rj25 would be in my opinion then the seniors lever stear.

stevebo

Early model 55 RJ 35 with the aluminum steering wheel and gas tank stand for the clinton gas tank. All senoirs and RJ25.

VinsRJ

I agree that either a RJ25 or Senior would be the rarest finds. There are just none of them around and if you find one, its not for sale.

Most collectable model....... if you are into round hoods, IMO, is the RJ58-9. Its not the rarest model made by :) but when a nice example comes up for sale it goes quick. Most collectors don't just have one, they may have 2, 3, or even 4 in stock :thumbs: Nice examples are reasonably priced and best of all the RJ58-9 is a nice riding tractor. You can actually have fun with them in the yard or at a show. A RJ25-35 with the veri-drive and ratchet hubs can get cumbersome, not to mention should you hurt a part it could get pricey to replace and/or even find.

BTW there is an original RJ25 in CT.

whfan74

Agree with all of the earlier mentioned tractors..........

Let's throw in a more recent model....I know a guy who has an E-141 :thumbs: ......haven't seen any others in working condition.

evanloock

The WD-35 is more scarce in my opinion than the RJ-25. I only know of 1 Walk-Away Deluxe in existence.

wheel horse 1045

not the rarest but just as hard to find is the air horse

CasualObserver

When you get into the ultra-rare things like the RJ-25, WD-35 and other Pond tractors, you're getting into a smaller collector market. Not many people can afford to 'play that course' so to speak. They are very collectible, but not to the masses.

I agree the RJ-58 is by far the most collectible in general. Most collectors want an RJ-58 if they don't have one already, many that have one (or more) will happily and quickly pick up an extra, and even if you don't want one, all collectors can appreciate the simplicity of the design that put the company into the big time.

I think this is a fun topic... I'd also be curious to see people opinions of your

jusjeepn

Of all the tractors made I'd have owned just about all of them or at least had a chance to buy all but 2. The WD's are so rare that if one did come up, it would probably be out of my price range. I've only ever seen 1 RJ25, same scenario! I've owned from Juniors all the way up to 520H and I'll have to say the 420LSE still seems to be the most sought after and still attainable (affordable) tractors produced. I'd have to say that the most collected is probably the non running tractors from the start to the end of production. :)

For me, the most sought after and nearly impossible attachment to find would have to be the Bachtold brush mower. I only know of one to still exist! The owner (a member here) had offered to sell it to me, but at that time it was out of reach.

I have owned or still own just about all of the hard to find items (tractors included) and once you find/buy them you find you really don't have a whole lot of use for them. :thumbs:

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Pat there's at least two of those Bachtolds... that person you mention had both of them, but I'm pretty sure one of them is in North Dakota now.

Gene_S

not the rarest but just as hard to find is the air horse

Was it made by Wheel Horse?

CasualObserver

No, they were an air craft tug retrofitted out of garden tractors... There have been a few discussed around here in the past, Search results There's still a company making the Air Deer if you google it.

wheel horse 1045

its a wheelhorse made to pull aircrafts,this is the 1 i drove DSCN0564.jpg

Kelly

Well i've had a few RJ's and suburbans, they are not my thing, but I do like to collect the odd ball and first ones here is my list but probably the most collectable to most but it's what I like, and that's what makes our collections differnt, if we all collected the same stuff, that would be boring.

I'll start with the oldest, and my reason for collecting

701, first front engined tractor and is mostly a one year machine with most parts only fitting it.

603, a striped out bare bones tractor, that has many parts built just for it, and not used on any other tractor.

the next ones are a trio of 1965 tractors

1045 a one off tractor with round hood rear fenders and the new then square hood, with a 10hp kohler, and a set of unique front tires.

1075 first year for the square hood first year for the hydro, and the only year they put a big block Kohler (10hp) in a short frame tractor.

1055 the brother to the 1045 and 1075 basicly a 1045 but has the new style rear fenders.

These may not be as hard to find as a early RJ but I like them better

I'd like to have a 520 8speed that is a rare tractor with only around 250 built, I'll have to build my own probably.

TT

There's two on my list - after I get my hands on a 754.

I'll take a 512-D and a 706, :thumbs:

buckrancher

I already own the rarest of them all and I hear theres only one in the whole world

:) :thumbs:

MikesRJ

I already own the rarest of them all and I hear theres only one in the whole world

:):thumbs:

Schmartazz! :wh: :)

clintonnut

For a top 15 here's what I think:

1st - 595 HD Only 2 known so far

2nd - RJ-25 Apparently only 11 exist so far

3rd - Lever Steer

4th - Ride-Away Senior

5th - Walkaway series

6th - 420-LSE 225 built

7th - 520-8 250? built

8th- 754 421 built

9th - RJ-59 1100? built

9th -1045 1200? built

11th - 603

12th - D-250 2000 built

13th - 603

14th - 1046

15th - 1055

Some production numbers may be off

Charlie

• Like 1

harleyjj

Charlie,

not to sound stupid but what is a 595 HD? I have never heard of that model

clintonnut

Search it on this forum. They are really neat.

Charlie

AMC RULES

Of course as a newb, this by far is the best thread going here on the forum. Thanks so much for the :) history lesson everybody. Really enjoying this so far, so please don't stop now. :thumbs::) :wh:

• Like 1

dcrage

OK Charlie -- I did the search and the only hit I can get is this string for '595 HD' -- What's up?