Lost Pup

Tiller Rebuild - Pic HEavy

Lost Pup

I purchased two tillers at the Wheel Horse Show this Summer. Total for both was $225.

One tiller had the correct bracket mount for my (418A & 417-8) but the tines were worn to nubs and the main shaft had side to side movement. The second was the older style with the axle mount attached to the tiller bracket but with perfect tines.

First job was to weld a nut to the tine tube to drive a threaded rod to press it off.

With the good tines removed from the older unit I went to work on the newer one. The drive pulley refuse to budge as it has a small mushroom on the shaft end. I used open end wrenches and screwdrivers to drive the pulley but the internal clip deformed and the entire pulley shaft came out from the body of the tiller. I was able to turn the end of the shaft so the pulley would slide off.

Open up the case and noticed a crack in the top bolt housing, it did not go through so I simply reversed the tiller halfs by swapping the open and closed pulley shaft bearings. Now the cracked section in on the bottom and the steel tiller shell can connect to a case with a good hole.

I think the PO had let the top bolt go loose and a few cracks developed in the steel shell near the mount for the lift chain. I welded up the cracks on the shell so problem fixed.

The side play in the main tine shaft was due to the c clip coming loose so the PO thought it was thrash. I think the clip was damaged by the PO trying to remove the tines in an improper way.

The case was opened , parts cleaned of dirt and rust and reassembled with only new c clips for the shafts. Ultra Black was used for the gasket and so far no leaks.

I used One quart of gear oil to refill.

All the bearings were oiled and has no rust or damage. There was gear oil in the unit when I opened it.

Comments Welcome.

DSC04192.jpg

DSC04198.jpg

DSC04214.jpg

DSC04220.jpg

DSC04227.jpg

DSC04236.jpg

DSC04237.jpg

DSC04238.jpg

DSC04239.jpg

DSC04240.jpg

DSC04241.jpg

DSC04559.jpg

DSC04560.jpg

DSC04568.jpg

DSC04569.jpg

DSC04587.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Lost Pup

More Pics

DSC04624.jpg

DSC04625.jpg

DSC04635.jpg

DSC04641.jpg

DSC04642.jpg

DSC04643.jpg

DSC04644.jpg

DSC04645.jpg

DSC04646.jpg

DSC04647.jpg

DSC04648.jpg

DSC04649.jpg

DSC04650.jpg

Lost Pup

DSC04651.jpg

DSC04652.jpg

DSC04653.jpg

DSC04659.jpg

DSC04660.jpg

DSC04662.jpg

DSC04664.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Looks pretty good, tried it out yet? :thumbs:

Lost Pup

Looks pretty good, tried it out yet? :thumbs:

I have used it at this point. Works great.

Grouping a few sets of pictures right now.

I had to fab the mid mount pulley setup first and Then setup a cable lift.

More pics to follow.

sawhorse

That tiller has seen a lot of hard use. It didn't look that bad on the inside but the outside looked shot. Very nice pictures and rebuild thanks for posting. The tines were worn down badly. Are there any new replacement tines available anywhere and what do they cost.

:thumbs:

Lost Pup

That tiller has seen a lot of hard use. It didn't look that bad on the inside but the outside looked shot. Very nice pictures and rebuild thanks for posting. The tines were worn down badly. Are there any new replacement tines available anywhere and what do they cost.

:thumbs:

The two tillers I purchased were just to piece together one good one. The older one had the rusty great condition tines which I needed. Replacement new tines are not seen that often if so as expensive. I can not imagine the amount or volume of tilling it would take to wear down a set of these tines, very thick and heavy steel.

rick

There are new tines available, at least Jack's Small Engines gives a price for them.

Hopefully there may be aftermarket tines available, since they are "rather dear" in OEM. I could refit all three of my Troy-Bilt Horses with tines for price of WH OEM tines.

Lost Pup

Finished the other items, Mid Mount Pulleys, Rear Rockshaft Setup and some PTO work so I am set to strip and refinish the entire tiller gear setup this winter.

Unit work great, Neighbors are impressed.........Hey Neighbor can you do this next spring....Nothing like a Wheel horse Tiller to make friends.

I tilled up our original garden plot and then widened it in no time at all, no sod removal at all.

Placed the 417-8 in low and rolled right thru the tough turf. The travel height is 5 inches and when tilling this is about a half depth cut. Perfect for the first pass thru the turf. I just dropped it a link or two on the chain connected to the lift plate at the tiller end and then it goes to full depth when tilling. I doubt I will ever touch the chain link shackle under the tank on the rockshaft.

DSC00026.jpg

DSC04667.jpg

DSC04671.jpg

• Like 1

Olratlr

Great job on the Tiller I am sure you will enjoy it. :thumbs:

groundhog47

Definitely bringing up the past, really some fine work, and several of us are workin' on em now. Needed to save and only way I know how. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

Bm75

Thank you for sharing this!! I used the welded nut trick on mine today and it worked well!!!

• Like 1

Lost Pup
On 4/25/2020 at 3:20 PM, Bm75 said:

Thank you for sharing this!! I used the welded nut trick on mine today and it worked well!!!

Glad it helped.