Sign in to follow this  
harleyjj

agricultural tires

harleyjj

Is it necessary to put snow chains on agricultural tires for plowing snow? I have a C-111 with a 42" blade that I will be plowing with and was curious if these tires plus my 240lbs will be ok or if I need chains?

Kelly

I prefer turf tires with chains, ags don't do as well, I've used both, and ags with chains need to be at least 2 link so they don't drop between the lugs.

sorekiwi

I prefer turf tires with chains, ags don't do as well, I've used both, and ags with chains need to be at least 2 link so they don't drop between the lugs.

And I say what he (Kelly) said!!

I use weights as well, but I'm only 160 lbs.

Kelly

Yes I use weights also, at least 50lbs, one tractor has 75lbs I only weigh 180 I need all the help I can get.

wheel857

i think that ag tires are over rated for yard work. i dont like how they tear everthing up. pluss on snow packed hard or ice then the tire is cold and hard there for they dont mash down and u will find out you will spin alot do to ridding on top of the lug.. chain and yards for me pls :thumbs:

Sarge

Ags work great but only with extreme weight - got 2 workers set up with cast weights and 7 gal of fluid in each - 140lbs for each tire. It doesn't spin and in fact one has nearly flipped over backwards once.

Turfs and chains, for the most part, are much better and no they don't tear up the grass.

Sarge

slufoot733

Ag tires work in sofe dirt but not so well when plowing snow. Snow plowing is usually done on pavement or hard packed gravel and the lugs just don't dig in. Chains on terf tires with weight is the only way to go.

K

AMC RULES

Think about and watch what you're doing. Those chains can/will do a number to the driveway/blacktop if you're not careful. You might not notice it until spring. :):thumbs:

hoosier

Is it necessary to put snow chains on agricultural tires for plowing snow? I have a C-111 with a 42" blade that I will be plowing with and was curious if these tires plus my 240lbs will be ok or if I need chains?

I use one tractor with turfs,weights, and chains, and another with Ag's and weights. I prefer the one with Ag's for snow mostly. It is weighted a little heavier though, and works best for my conditions. A lot of ice is another matter. In those cases the one with chains comes out of the shed. You might just try it 'as is' and see.

hm12460

Yup! What Kelly said, you gotta trust me on this, us Michi-ganders know how to plow snow.

KC9KAS

Last winter was the 1st time I used a garden tractor for snow removal. I have used large tractors and dumptruck/plow equipment.

I used a 1964 654 with turf tires and chains. I weight 240# and I really needed additional weight when pushing snow, as I was "spinning" my wheels a lot of times.

I did find some weights this summer, but they are FMC and only have 2 mounting bolt holes, and they are not a direct fit to the WH wheels. I did buy a device to pump fluid into the tires, but have not completed that process either...maybe it won't snow this year!

wheelhorse656

i suggest useing no chains if you have ags and take alot of air out of the tires for taction.

HankB

I used ags late last winter to avoid scratching up my asphalt drive. I thought liquid filled ags did as well as 4 link chains on turf tires. That's on a 314-H that weighs in at 700 lb (w/out the blade.) I add about 200 lb right over the rear wheels.

I've heard that chains slip between the lugs on ags so that's probably not an optimum combination.

-hank

bitten

I have only used ags with chains and they seem to work just fine. I do use the two link and this is on a D200 that is heavy out of the box. I am going to install front wheel weights on it this year to help with steering.