Sign in to follow this  
ThePartsGuy

Mans best friend?

ThePartsGuy

I thought a dog was suppose to be mans best friend? Im starting to think different. This little deer is the best!! follows me everywhere! I seen this baby all by herself in the spring..actually seen her many times and i never seen her with her mom so im assuming she was hit by a car or shot by a poacher.

So i started to feed the deer, i dont know how it lived without a nipple or milk but seems to be doing great now!!

I spoil her like there's no other! I never knew deer loved donuts either. Yesterday she came in the house and had pancakes with me :thumbs:

Attached Image

post-12-1289338709.jpg

stevasaurus

Priceless...can they be domesticated? I thought not. :) :thumbs:

ThePartsGuy

i think they can! I cant wait till she gives me a fawn! I might be a deer hoarder now too :thumbs:

horsefeathers

My co-worker is also a dairy farmer and he told me this story yesterday!

Years ago he hit a fawn while cuttin' hay.

It's front legs were almost cut off!

His li'l sister set the bones put on splints and bottle feed him!

She kept the wounds cleaned and resplinted daily!

He became a farm pet!

He followed her to the school bus everyday.

And walked down the lane to meet when she got home from school!

He lived almost four years, roaming with the cows! what a great story!

dgoyette

I have heard of deer as pets before. Just be very careful to keep her safe during hunting season. I know of a pet deer that was shot during hunting season because a nit whit was hunting way to close to a home.

puddlejumper

My great grandmother had one for a summer a few years before she passed away. the fawn pretty much adopted her. was a good match she was in her late 80s/early90s Have a christmas card around here somewhere with there picture on it. I will see if i can find it.

AS a side note I have had lots of coons; a red fox ,skunks, squirrels,ground hogs and they all tame, but dont trust them they are all still wild animals. But I guess that could be said for fido and sylvester also.Oh yea even had a possum for a while wouldnt believe how active they are.

Duff

Great story - thanks for sharing and the picture! :)

Interestingly, deer don't generally die of disease or old age - they starve to death. :wh: Their teeth don't continue to grow during their lives like a lot of critters, so when they wear out the poor animals literally starve to death because they can't chew their browse. Anyone ever watched a game warden or a veteran hunter "age" a deer by opening its mouth and looking at the teeth? It's actually a fairly exact science.

I would imagine a "domesticated" deer with the right diet could live well into its teens or longer as long as an accident or, as mentioned above, a nitwit hunter didn't pick it off. You may want to limit how much sugar you give her, though, as I would guess her teeth are prone to decay like any others.

The hard part, if you want her to give you a fawn, will be getting her bred without her running off into the wild for good, although the lure of good vittles and a warm, safe place to sleep may overcome that instinct. Who knows?

Keep us posted!

~Duff :thumbs: