dclarke

857 rebuild

rmaynard

Denny,

I need to order some new front tires for my Commando 8 and was wondering what you decided for your fronts? Size? Brand?

I like the looks of whatever you have in this picture.

DSC00953.jpg

dclarke

Bob, those are the original 16 - 5.50 x 8 Wheel Horse tires. I put Miller's tire paint on them.

dclarke

Been waiting since December to get these back from the chrome shop. The hood ornament turned out really nice, wish I was ready to put it on.

001-15.jpg

• Like 1

dyt4000

This is the n.o.s. deck shell I got from Scott, (whfan74) I had it blasted then installed all new bearings, seals and put a new set of blades on it. A new set of belts and it should be ready to go.

013-1.jpg

012-3.jpg

Hello,

Where did you get the bearings for your deck? I have the same one and will be rebuilding it this fall...

Thanks,

David

Edited by dyt4000

dclarke

This is the n.o.s. deck shell I got from Scott, (whfan74) I had it blasted then installed all new bearings, seals and put a new set of blades on it. A new set of belts and it should be ready to go.

Hello,

Where did you get the bearings for your deck? I have the same one and will be rebuilding it this fall...

Thanks,

David

David, it's been a while since I rebuilt this deck but I think these are the correct numbers. The spindle bearings and seals I got from NAPA - Bearing number B1212 - seal number 7408....... The bearings for the pulley on the front of the deck I got from McMaster Carr - their part number 6384K47...... I also got the face gear shaft bearings from McMaster Carr - their part number 6384K79..... Hope this helps. 

dyt4000

Thanks!!!

dyt4000

Is there a sticky for this awesome information about bearings for the older decks?

dyt4000

Seal 7408 is a match for McMaster 5154T56?

dclarke

I got new knives for my sickle bar and yesterday I found a buddy that has the tool to change them. Nothin to it once you get the hang of it. This thing shears the old rivets off to remove the old knife and punches the old rivets out of the bar. It also does a nice job installing the new rivets.

001_zps15d4d430.jpg

003_zpsc87dec2f.jpg

008_zps15ca5886.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

bowtiebutler956

Very nice, I bet that thing would cut as good as the day it left the :wh: factory, now!!  Great work! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

sorekiwi

I got new knives for my sickle bar and yesterday                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Where did you get the knives from Denny?  

Edited by sorekiwi

dclarke

Where did you get the knives from Denny?  

I got them and the rivets from Dale's mowing service in Kempton, Pa. Phone # 610 - 756 - 6453. I bought these knives a year ago, Mike. I assume this info is still correct. By the way, they are expensive.

Edited by dclarke

dclarke

I'm back to work on this project now that my 701 is done. The sickle cutter bar that I put new blades on has been plated matte chrome. I bought a set of wheel weights last spring at Mentone, I got those blasted and base coated and a few tins and small pieces painted. Before I painted the seat pan I drilled holes in it so I could put springs under the seat for a better ride. I wanted a wider set of rear rims for the weights so I took all the tires back off and had the fronts and the wider rear rims powder coated and got those back on and last week I picked up an ST326 snow blower for this tractor.

007_zps700b76ee.jpg

003_zpsbb8ee768.jpg

004_zpsab10fc37.jpg

005_zps2496a638.jpg

009_zps4aaf42f7.jpg

• Like 2

bowtiebutler956

That's coming along very nicely Denny! Those knives look fantastic, and so does the rest of it. :text-datsphatyo:  Look forward watching the rest of this build! :thumbs:

Terry M

Yes, those knives do look nice Denny!! :handgestures-thumbupright:   Can't wait to see the whole tractor done with the sickle cutter installed. :)

horsesaver98

what paint are you using 

dclarke

what paint are you using 

I'm using Martin Senour base coat, the label from the can is on page 3 of this build thread.

dclarke

This is as it sits now, still waiting on the hood and belt guard to get blasted. I hope to have this done in time to take to Jacksonville but I'm running out of days fast. Tomorrow I should have everything painted but the hood and guard.

009_zps81ec5de3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

bowtiebutler956

Looking really good!!!! :thumbs:

welderman85

great work the sickle looks great

Terry M

yes!, I agree Denny, sickle looks great on that Tractor. :handgestures-thumbupright:   And I really like the wheel weights you installed. :handgestures-thumbupright:  :handgestures-thumbupright:

dclarke

I've still got a few things to finish up on this but I'm finally getting close to being done. I discovered a pin hole in the gas tank, have to put a new diaphragm in the fuel pump and I still have to do the wiring and install the correct battery tray.

002_zps4e2bcda1.jpg

004_zpsa56bc932.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

MalMac

Looking good Denny, If only that Sickle Bar could talk, from where I got it, to being stolen from me, to me getting it back, to you getting it from me. I am glad you got it and restored it. Looks a whole lot better on a tractor than it did just sitting around here. You did good.

• Like 1

dclarke

Thanks, Tim. It does have quite a story.

bowtiebutler956

I really like the sickle bar on there. Those things look very intimidating, they just scream keep all appendages clear! :ychain:  

• Like 1