Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Suburban 550 Drive Belt...

mattd860

When I picked up my 1960 Suburban 550, the main drive belt would not disengage when I pressed on the clutch pedal. I took the belt off and it ended up being a 28" belt which is 1" smaller than the factory 29". Yesterday I purchased the correct 29" belt and installed it but it still will not disengage. If I start the tractor in gear while pressing the clutch pedal, the engine drive pulley will not spin the belt, but If I release the clutch pedal and then press it again, the belt will not stop spinning making it impossible to change gears.

So is the belt routing incorrect or am I missing some parts here???

1013102011.jpg

1013102012.jpg

hcminis

Have/had this same problem. When I purchased my 550 there were no belt stops and this allow the belt to keep spinning when the clutch peddle was pressed. This would not allow you to change gears at all. Thinking the problem was the belt, I purchased a new OEM belt which was smaller and that just made the problem worse. So, put the belt back on the came with the 550 and added the belt stops (info supplied from this great board) and the problem was fixed.

Now, I noticed you have a belt stop on the engine. Therefore, could be the belt but just making suggestions. My belt is actually a Goodyear belt 17295

DSC02543.jpg

DSC02540.jpg

DSC02535.jpg

Hope this helps. Other experts will have a better solution I'm sure. This is just what I had to do.

Don1977

From the looks of your pulleys, I think the rust will not let the belt slip.

linen beige

From the looks of your pulleys, I think the rust will not let the belt slip.

:) My thoughts exactly!

mattd860

Actually the belt grooves aren't that rusted - especially the engine pulley groove. The outer engine pulley groove is definitely rusted but that's irrelevant.

Is the belt stop in the right position? I think if I turn it counter clockwise so it's underneath the belt, it will raise the belt off the engine pulley when the clutch pulley drops down. Yes/No?

10131020121.jpg

Eriks Red horse herd

Looks to me as if your belt is to wide ? check to make sure its an 4L series that is the width of the belt. If its to wide then it would ride higher in the pulley and that might be the culprit.

hcminis

Not an expert but this is the same problem I had with my 550. No rust and the belt is the OEM 1569 as specified in the manual. However, as mentioned the Goodyear belt works perfect.

Might be somewhere along the time frame the old guys did it better and the new guys screwed up something. Just my opinion...which is like...well you know.

CasualObserver

Actually the belt grooves aren't that rusted - especially the engine pulley groove. The outer engine pulley groove is definitely rusted but that's irrelevant.

No... ANY rust that either adds to the drag on the belt or increases the circumference of the belt track is definitely relevant. The belt needs to drop effortlessly out of the pulleys in order to disengage the system when it's running.

Is the belt stop in the right position? I think if I turn it counter clockwise so it's underneath the belt, it will raise the belt off the engine pulley when the clutch pulley drops down. Yes/No?

No, don't do that... the stop serves two purposes, it gives the belt something to push against to allow the it to pop out from the engine pulley when you depress the clutch, and it also keeps the belt located at the correct groove of the pulley. If you put it under the belt, it won't push against the stop and force the belt away from the engine pulley. You might try rotating it counter-clockwise to about a 10 o'clock position like the one in the picture from DJ. That might give you the lift you need.

I also agree with Erik, it does look like your belt is riding a little high in the grooves.

W9JAB

Looks to me as if your belt is to wide

Looks to me as if your belt is to wide

I ran the belt # it is 1/2 top width

same as 4L or A :)

mattd860

I just purchased 4 belts:

3L - 29" & 30"

4L - 29" & 30"

I won't get a chance to test them out until Saturday but when I do, I'll let you all know.

If anybody has some more pictures of the factor belt setup on their Suburban, please post them here. Thanks!

wallfish

You need to put the belt guard back on after you change the belt. The belt guard will also guide the belt. Try it with the belt guard installed and see if that solves your problem with the belt not disengaging.

gwest_ca

mattd860,

The belt you have installed appears to have raw rubber sides. They need to be fabric covered to slip on the drive pulley and the 4L 29 you have should work. Let the belt run in neutral for a few minutes to seat in, readjust the belt guides and you should be good to go.

Garry

mattd860

The belts I purchased yesterday were the green kevlar belts. They appear to be wrapped entirely in cloth. Tomorrow morning I will be able to run some experiments with the belts and see what works the best.

I will also install the belt guard with every belt I test. Thanks.

mattd860

Ok I did some testing and the 4L 29" belt works perfectly. The aftermarket 1569 belt sold to me by the shop must be a 28" belt rather than a 29". I ordered a TORO 1569 belt but received STENS (I think) belt. Like I said, the Napa 4L 29" belt works great and I had a fun time driving my 550 around the Jacktown, PA show this weekend.

hcminis

Well, thought I had this problem solved. BUT, purchased the 29" belt yesterday from NAPA and it is too short. My brake pedal only moves about 1/2". Will mess with it again some more this evening. My current belt is a 17295 Goodyear, which I'm thinking is a 29-1/2" belt. This really sucks right now.

wallfish

Loosen the nut on the rod that pulls the brake band and the 29" belt should work fine.

hcminis

John, tried that. Still too tight. Put the belt guard on and still didn't work. Tried with just the four belt guides and still didn't work either. Gonna get a 30" (which is what is on there now) and try it this evening.

SkyhawkTL

I have a Suburban 551, and when I fabricated a drive belt guide it only worked when I mounted it so that the guide piece was further away from the engine pully. See the photo. The belt guard still fits nice. I would flip yours over 180 degrees.

DSC00503.jpg

wallfish

John, tried that. Still too tight. Put the belt guard on and still didn't work. Tried with just the four belt guides and still didn't work either. Gonna get a 30" (which is what is on there now) and try it this evening.

Hmmm, If all the pulleys are original, the 29" belt should work. You could try loosening the motor bolts and slide the motor back as far as it will go. If the 30" belt works then you should go with it but there has to be something taking up that 1" of belt.