Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

A Freecycle find

Stigian

Ive been watching Freecycle for a while now, and never had any luck finding anything of any interest. But my luck has changed :thumbs:

Hidden inbetween the "offered microwave, like new, works well, just needs a door!" kinda ads, i spotted this big old beauty :o

Its a Howard Gem with a big old 600cc JAP engine B):D

Its in needed of a lot of work, a good soaking in a bath of WD40 would be a good start :o

The plan is to free up all the rusted lever rods and see what state the engine is in, the decide what to do with it then :P

Anyway, here's a few pic's for your viewing pleasure :D

100_2825.jpg

100_2826.jpg

I hope my wife isnt reading this :P but isnt that Amal carb with the open bellmouth just about the sexy-ist thing youve ever seen :D:D

Or maybe i need to see a doctor :thumbs::D

100_2827.jpg

Oh, did i forget to mention the Howard came with a free sit-on mower? :D

Its (or was) a AYP (thanks Jim for ID-ing it for me :P ), and was slightly past its best :P

100_2828.jpg

HHMM me thinks this front end looks a bit er... outa shape :D

100_2831.jpg

And here is why!!

They dont make em like they used to, is the age old saying, in this case its spot on.

You'd never see a cast Wheel Horse axle in this state :o

100_2834.jpg

Anyway, most of the AYP is on the scrap pile now, with anything usable stashed away in the "might come in handy one day" pile, including a non ripped seat :o

To finish on a good and funny note, in a change from the normal way with peerless trans, the rear wheels slid straight off :D:P

Its a shame all four tires are filled with silicon rubber, but if i ever need some extra very heavy weights for something they will come in handy :) B)

perry

good find :thumbs: .

i check my local freecycle everyday. mostly women and kids stuff, but you never know.

Stigian

Cheers Perry :thumbs:

I keep looking out for a "offered. barn full of Wheel Horses" ad, but alas they never seem to appear :thumbs: :D

Nick

That is a nice haul and the walk behind looks like a real nice find. :thumbs: The AYP and MTD tractors do have a few good bits in them for the parts pile. Even if it just ends up being a couple small brackets, bolts and nuts. :thumbs:

Guess I need to start reading those darn Wanted: smurf costume ads again. :D

Rollerman

Okay Ian...why two tank caps on the fuel tank..... :thumbs:

Looks pretty cool....but mostly very heavy!

hoosier

Dual fuel maybe?? start with gas, run on distillate.(sp). Looks old enough.

hoosier

Curiosity is killing me. Ian, is the Howard company based in England. Is the name of your find actually Rotopotato? Just wondering as I have a big, 3 point rear tiller in the outdoor toolshed that is a Howard Rotovator. Big son-of-a-gun.

Stigian

Okay Ian...why two tank caps on the fuel tank..... :thumbs:

Looks pretty cool....but mostly very heavy!

Sorry for the late reply to this, its been a mix of very busy days and feeling very knackered evenings of late :thumbs:

The tank has two compartments, the back tank for fuel, the front one for oil :P

For its age, which is er.... quite old, it has quite a posh oil set-up with an external pump on the engine and a nice big filter in the tube hanging off the side of the big fuel/oil tank.

Rotopotato is just my pet name for it Hoosier :D

BairleaFarm

Cool stuff. YOu know i never find anything like that around here