Sign in to follow this  
sgtsampay

Engine swap again..

sgtsampay

Hi all. After much waiting, i think I finally found the bigger engine that I have been wanting for my tractor for $100. I found it on craiglist and its on an old Wizard tractor. The owner says the engine runs if you put gas down the carb, so that tell me its a carb related issue. Now, with this is mind, can I take the motor and tranny out of the Wizard, scrap the rest and then put the motor (Once fixed) in my wheel horse 211-5, slap the old clutch and pto thing on it from the 11hp briggs that is on it now and go from there? Lastly, any idea is if the Wizard tranny would be strong than then the Wheel horse one?

Thanks guys for your imput. I'm thinking it would really be cool.

P.S. I'm doing all of these mods to my wheel horse cause it fun. I like tinckering and rebuilding things. I know i could have gotten a bigger tractor, but where is the fun in that?

boovuc

I guess the crew here would need a whole lot more info on that new engine of yours. I'll assume it's a vertical shaft engine and I'm not familier with how the drive belt pulley's up to the tranny in your Wheel horse. There are a lot of variables swapping an egine on a vertical shaft motor plus how it would bolt up to the frame.

What is the make and HP of the motor in the Wizard?

Gotta love tinkering with them.

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

sgtsampay

Well All I know is that the new engine will be fro ma late 1980's Wizard and its a Briggs 18HP opposed twin. (Or I think its a twin. If its V-twin, then I get to figure out how to make more room in the engine bay of the tractor. :) ) I will get dual stacks on it. My only problem is going to be the pulley swap. I hope that it will swap out fine without me having to get a new PTO/pulley set-up.

Anyway, I also found out that it will have large rear tires, so mabye swapping out the tranny will work out also. :USA:

Here is what I believe it looks like from the owner's discriptions.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/grd/1909631693.html

daemon2525

On the engine, the first thing to look at is the crankshaft diameter and length.

If they are the same then you have a good start. The hard part will be to get the pully off of the old and new engines. Soak them with your favorite oil (PB Blaster or Kroil) and then forget about it for a while.

I do not know, but the trannys are unlikely to swap.

TT

216-5's (22-16B501) & LT-1637's (A2-163701 or D2-163701) were production models and had the opposed twin B&S engines.

(The B-165 models also used the twin but had a different hood)

Example:

294503458_1000215342_0.jpg

You will have to cut the hood, but everything else should bolt right in.

I also doubt you'll find the tranz to be a direct swap, but many of them could be made fit with a little fabrication/modification.

sgtsampay

Wow TT, thats really good news. I really don't want to cut the hood, as I like to keep it looking like normal but O well. Anyway, where did you fine that information? I never knew that Wheel Horse made the 200 series in that high of engine sizes back then. (I'm talking about before toro took over..)

And when i went to the local toro dealer to pick up the bearings and the belt i order for the snowblower and got to talk with the mechanic. I asked him if the if the 11 briggs that I have one should have the same crank size and lenght as the 18Hp i hope to get later in the week, and he said it should.

Anyway, thanks for chimming in, you really made my day. :)

sgtsampay

Hey guys should I stick with the opposed twin or should i go for this running Briggs 21Hp v-twin. They are the same price, but i don't know much about the new v-twins.. feedback please:

http://maine.craigslist.org/tls/1962847721.html

sgtsampay

Well When I got home, I called the ad and the engine is gone. I did however fine out that the maximum demensions of the engine compartment on my tractor. Now this is all without cutting the hood.

H: 13.in

L: 20.5in (Thats even into the hood)

W: 11.75in (this is inside of the hood area)

So with this in mind. I could fit a Briggs V-twin in with little cutting of the hood and the same for a opposed twin. Wow, I got a lot of space to work with.. :)

Horse Fanatic

18 HP should be more than adequate for anything you can do with your 211-5. Putting a 21 HP engine on wouldn't do any more work and would just waste fuel.

Roger from southern Iowa

sounds like a fun swap!

Matthew hurst

What model Wheel Horse is it going into? I put a 12.5 HP Kohler into a Wheel Horse A100 it fit real good. I swap it in about 2 Hours. :)

sgtsampay

Well, from my last haul, I was able to get a 16Hp briggs. So, that will be the engine to go on the 1986 211-5 which currently has a Briggs 11HP l-head with about 450 hours on it. Its smoking a little and leaking a little oil on the bottom of the crankcase, but other than that it runs fine. Anyway, I will just get the 16Hp running and then place it on the horse and see what it can do. :)

Matthew hurst

I would love to see picture when it is done... :)

Kelly

The last swap I did like that I put a 18.5hp briggs twin in a B-111 that had a briggs single 11hp, the bolt pattern was not the same, so I had to drill all new holes and be careful to keep it centered so everything still lines up, belts, clutch,ect......

sgtsampay

Kelly, thanks for the advice. Also, did you notice an increase of power? Or was it to much?

Kelly

Well I did a pulley swap also so it was fast, till I sold it.

bustedglass

Hey Sarge,

Sounds like you got your work ahead of you. Good luck with your swap, and remember :) .

sgtsampay

I made a seperate topic Engine rebuild in the engine section.

sgtsampay

OK, So the swap is now completed.

I had to completely rebuild a 18Hp 42ci 1995 Briggs Twin II that came from an old MTD Powercraft. I put new rings in, all new gaskets (But the crankscase), cleaned carb twice and rebuilt it once and fuel pump, custom dual stacks, new hoses, new coil, several new head bolts, rebent and fixed external govenor assem, custom choke cable back, custom hood lift and back plate, some strip ties, A new 360CCa battery, a bunch of money, and lots of cleaning and degreasing.

During the bench test runs, and before I got the carb issues iron out, I got the engine to run to 5k RPM by accident. So I knows its a least a tough old girl. LOL. Ok, so here are the picture that you all have been wanting. :thumbs:

IMG_4570.jpg

IMG_4571.jpg

IMG_4572.jpg

IMG_4574.jpg

IMG_4569.jpg

I will be adding some rain caps or mabye some curve elbows for the tops of the stacks.. I also need to get a way to make the key stop the engine, make some longer wire for the headlights, get the hunting issue at idle taken care off, and then let her rip! Thanks for all of the impiration guys, :)

TT

Nice....... but where's the rest of the cooling shrouds? :thumbs:

I'd hate to see all of your engine work have a melt-down. :)

sgtsampay

They need to be mounted, I will do that, but i just wanted to get the engine on the tractor, before i got it all pretty. I'm also still ajusting the way things need to go and such, so when that all done, the shrouds will do on. In the mean time, the little bit that tractor is use, I think won't hurt it..