Sign in to follow this  
persof

Stink Bugs

persof

All,

Ground hogs did the early damage to my garden, the squash stem borers and finally when the temps dropped below the high ninety's those durn stink bugs wiped out my tomatoes.

Help for next season

Francis

300zx

Wow, I didn't realize they would cause problem in a garden. Here in VA, we have also been invaded in our homes as temperatures have cooled off at night. They said on our local news they are trying to get into warmer areas for the winter. They came in from Asia and have no natural predators, except chickens. Go figure!!

rmaynard

Francis,

Though we didn't have a major problem with them, my wife used an insecticidal soap spray (Safer). Because we have 3 small grandchildren who like to pick tomatoes, the soap spray was the logical choice. Seemed to work on the Stink Bugs that we have here in Carroll County.

Bob

MikesRJ

7:1 (Water-Dawn Dish Detergent) mix in a stream-type spray bottle works well too.

Duff

Just caught this thread. There was quite a piece on the evening news tonight about the pesky critters. Apparently farmers have petitioned the EPA and FDA to allow the use of a few selected insecticides to knock them back. They say the bugs are no danger to humans, just an annoyance. Well, so's starving to death when they wipe out our crops. Just another foreign insect hitting our shores! :)

Duff :USA:

sawhorse

Use a pyrethroid insecticide according to the labeling.

Examples of the pyrethroid ingredients in products sold at the big box stores:

Cyfluthrin

lambda cyhalothrin

pyrethrins (with pipernyl butoxide synergyst)

permethrin

note the pre-harvest interval on the labeling