Sign in to follow this  
evan4434

Pulley noise on motor

evan4434

I have a 416-8 I bought a year ago, and when I pull the pulley engagement lever for my implements (such as the mower deck) it makes a loud whining noise. I took all the belts off the pulley and again when I engage it makes the same noise.

My question is it suppose to make this noise? If not, does anyone know where I can get a replacement pulley system?

There are barrings on the inside of the pulley, so my guess is that they are shot.

TT

The bearings in the PTO pulley are serviceable (can be replaced), but you should also check the tractor drive pulley (the one on the inside - closest to the engine) to make sure something isn't loose or worn enough to let it rub against the side of the engine block when it's under pressure from the PTO clutch engagement.

Here's the IPL:

PTObelt.jpg

Tear it apart and have a look. :thumbs:

WH nut

If it were bearing #38, wouldnt it make noise when the PTO was disengaged. the whole PTO locks up and turns with the engine when its engaged. Id look at the friction material.

Jim_M

The first thing I would do is check to make sure the pulley hasn't come loose and is rubbing on the crankcase. The second thing I would check is bearing #36.

DenisM

I have the same problem on a B-80. I replaced bearing # 36; bearing 38 and shaft # 40 were in excellent condition with almost no wear. Still have the noise after I got done. All the other parts in the pulley look good.

Is there something else that can cause this wining noise? When I had the pulley off I ran the engine but there was no noise??

Jim_M

As TT said....the pulley can be loose on the crank shaft and as soon as you put pressure on it by engaging the pto, it gets pushed into the side of the crankcase. It's VERY common for that to happen.

DenisM

Mine makes the noise engaged or disengaged. The bolts labeled 41 are tight and the pulley # 43 is not rubbing.

What is the shaft part # 40 connected to and how is it connected?

WH nut

#40 slides over the crankshaft and is held in place by #42 and bearing 38 rides on # 40

kpinnc

I also have had the same problems with a PTO on one of my 300 series tractors. Not sure what you've got without seeing it, but here is something else to look at.

Part #40 on the IPL had spun free on the end of the PTO shaft of the engine on my tractor, which wallowed the ID out of round and oversize. Luckily, the part itself was damaged, and not the shaft. The clips (#42) were also ruined. It was obviously loose with the PTO bell removed- you could wiggle it side-to-side with your hand.

Since replacing part #40, I have had no other problems. The bearings in the PTO bell were fine. I guess the wear in the collar was enough to allow the PTO bell to be pushed "off center" slightly, which loaded the bearings wrong.

If this is what is causing the noise on your tractor, be sure you find a collar with the right bore in it. They came with both 1 inch and 1 and 1/8th inch ID.

Good luck!

Kevin