Sign in to follow this  
perry

Say Goodbye Hershey

perry

: SAY GOODBYE HERSHEY

A sad story for those of us who remember growing up with Hershey bars, and just as sad for the generations of today. What will be outsourced next? Pennsylvania is a big state, but it amazes me in this day, how some news doesn't make it over the mountain to the front page of our papers or the top of our news hours in Western Pennsylvania .

Milton Hershey, this year, will be joining H. J. Heinz in rolling over in his grave. Hershey Chocolate is moving to MEXICO...whoopee! They're even closing down Hershey Canada. Don't buy any more Hershey Bars. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are my favorite and they are made by Hershey. But, I will not purchase another one!

M. S. Hershey had a dream...I will buy my own sugar, milk, cocoa beans, (all natural mind you!) and make candy...(no tariffs etc..) even during the depression...he and the company made money...now some corporate big wigs are ruining the name... and the product M.S. created..

Please pass it on...What a bunch of college educated "idiots".

Thank you M. S. Hershey for all the things I have and all you have done for me and my family..."I" do appreciate it... as for "****" Lenny and Company good luck you greedy, money loving BASTARDS...you are ruining the name, the company, and MANY lives in central Pennsylvania.... read on...Enough is Enough!

So Hershey executives are closing plants in the US , laying off over a thousand people, and destroying Mr. Hershey 's dream, all to cut labor, material costs and AVOID PAYING ANY U.S. TAXES!

The company will save about $170 million a year, all on the backs of the American people. The top executives will still make their mega bucks and the laid off workers will have to find other jobs, some probably at minimum wage due to their age. All this to take their jobs to India, China and Mexico. So what part of the "GREAT" American Chocolate Bar is left?...NOTHING! These countries are no doubt laughing at the Americans, who they don't like anyway. How long are the American people going to sit around and let big corporations do this to us? We must all band together and let our Politicians in Washington know we have had it with NAFTA, CAFTA and "SHAFTA" and we won't take it any longer!

Please, do not buy any Hershey product! If the company wants to take the work to these countries, then let those countries buy the product. We don't need it!

BOYCOTT HERSHEY!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kj4kicks

I'm with you Perry ! Hershey is less than 45 minutes from me, and the waves are already rolling this way....

Greg B.

I'll give you an AMEN on that, Perry!

Greg B.

pond195520032003

Im with you too Perry :thumbs: i bought my last candy bar the other nite :thumbs:

T-Mo

This one is almost too much to bear. One of the greatest things in life has been a plain Hershey bar. Now, they can't even use their own slogan, "Hershey, The Great American Chocolate Bar". I guess they need to change it, "Hershey, The Not-So-Great Mexican Bar". I hope that Nestle and Mars candies are STILL American. :thumbs:

CasualObserver

It's a sad day. Bummer too... cause Hershey bars were the best on s'mores!

On the other hand.... Nestle' may be headquarted in Switzerland, but I know they still make tons of candy at their Bloomington Illinois facility. Nestle bought the Beich (pronounced - BIKE) Candy factory in Bloomington when I was a kid. You know all those fundraiser candy bars that school kids and scout troops sell? Katherine Beich makes them - Caramel, Krunch, Almond... they all come from there in Bloomington, IL. 100 Grand, Nestle Crunch, Nestle Treasures... all made at the Beich candy factory in Bloomington. When I was in grade school we got to tour the facility every couple years for a field trip... and buy the brokens by the pound. Yummmmy memories... let me tell you.

T-Mo

Jason,

Now that's a field trip I would have love to go on as a kid, heck, even now. :thumbs:

Curmudgeon

If this trend of the rich getting richer at the expensive of the poor and middle class, which Hersey is now a prime example, continues, expect a depression far worse than the one in the 1940's.

When will corporate america wake up and realize if the american worker isn't paid enough, or not paid at all by way of outsourcing to foreign companies, there will no one to buy the product, which means even the rich idiot at the top won't have an income because his business went belly up due to lack of sales?

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!

If anyone has noticed and wondered, I no longer capitalize america. We used to be a great country. Now we have overly greedy corporate executives, war monger presidents, and I'm ashamed to say I'm an american. Remember when it used to be a good thing to be american? Now we are the looked down upon, laughing stock, of the world.

Thank you for another minute on the soapbox.....

perry

If this trend of the rich getting richer at the expensive of the poor and middle class, which Hersey is now a prime example, continues, expect a depression far worse than the one in the 1940's.

When will corporate america wake up and realize if the american worker isn't paid enough, or not paid at all by way of outsourcing to foreign companies, there will no one to buy the product, which means even the rich idiot at the top won't have an income because his business went belly up due to lack of sales?

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!

If anyone has noticed and wondered, I no longer capitalize america. We used to be a great country. Now we have overly greedy corporate executives, war monger presidents, and I'm ashamed to say I'm an american. Remember when it used to be a good thing to be american? Now we are the looked down upon, laughing stock, of the world.

Thank you for another minute on the soapbox.....

dale summed it up right there. we are in BAD shape....america the :imstupid:

Now, they can't even use their own slogan, "Hershey, The Great American Chocolate Bar". I guess they need to change it, "Hershey, The Not-So-Great Mexican Bar".

............what a great slogan :thumbs: ..........

Greg B.

Gentlemen,

I'm a mutt. My family tree has so many branches thet it looks like a weeping willow. Thanks to the anal retentive record keeping of the early missionaries, I can trace one branch back to arriving here in the 1690s. Another branch met the boat. The only able bodied male, in the family, since the Spanish American war, not to wear the uniform is my oldest son. He's so left wing he flies in circles. My youngest was a combat engineer.

Our leadership may be flawed. The process to choose them may be flawed. I cannot, however, bring myself to bad mouth The United States of America. "I care not, sir, for what you say, but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it."

Greg B.

dennisleno07

I'm with you you on this Perry . I used to live in Shippensburgh and go to Hershey atleast once a yer and i wanted to take my kids there but it looks like i can't now. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Sparky

So are the "New Mexican Hershey Bars" gonna have jalapeno's in em? Maybe a salsa flavored chocolate bar :thumbs: .

This was certainly bad news.

Mike...........

horseheadhunter

What a crying shame !! I just took my 7 year old daughter there last August 07 along with my fiance,and it was a real good time.We took the tour through the area by bus & learned alot. I love everything about PA,but this sure stinks & to bad for the locals & the employed.I'll tell you as soon as all of our Easter candy is gone no more Hershey in this house for sure. -Shawn - (horseheadhunter)

Nick

Looks like your still safe with Mars, they have 8 plants in the us. Didnt know they were also into snacks, rice and pet food. :thumbs:

Mars Site

combatmp29r

:wtf: I'm glad they haven't figured out how to run trains from Mexico :thumbs: I'm with shawn when the Easter candy is gone no more Hersheys. I love reeses too :thumbs:

Greg B.

Joel,

You haven't noticed all of those NdeM box cars running around? The haul immigrants and drugs in and jobs out.....

Greg B.

combatmp29r

Greg there was actually a Mexican National Raiway locomotive in one of our consists when I was in the yard the other day. All the engineers were talking about how it looked pretty, but mwechanically was pure junk :thumbs: I see UP and BNSF locos all the time in our mixes, but this was the first mexican engine :thumbs:

perry

Given these circumstances and the present economic catastrophe I imagine Hershey is completely dead as a viable company in PA. Hey, Bear Stearns, the 5th largest investment bank in the country, a bank that survived the Great Depression just fine, thanks, just died and it's carcass was sold for two bucks a share the other day.

The loss of Hershey is sad, but many more large companies, considered institutions, will "die" soon. They don't actually die, but they will never be the same. For example "Hershey" will now be a brand of candy made in Mexico.

We are facing an economic catastrophe with devastation on a scale possibly never seen before.

kpinnc

Once we reach, and I'm afraid we're close, the point in which this country no longer manufactures any goods, it will be over economically. While there is certainly nothing wrong with white collar jobs, this country can't survive exclusively on it.

We don't make any goods for the rest of the world, we just want to be in charge of everyone else's. Somehow, I don't think that will last very long...

Even more frightening to me is the idea that this great country will be fully dependent on foreign suppliers for everything. OPEC should have taught the people who make these decisions that simple point.

I work for the local communications provider, ie.. the phone company. It has been the "little company that could" for 110 years providing local phone, broadband (and I mean HUGE broadband @30 times the speeds of the fastest Roadrunner services for 10 years), long distance, wireless, and 225 channel HD video services. We have maintained the best customer satisfaction of any local provider for decades.

Last October, our company was sold to a "major" carrier that I will not name for twice the amount our stock was worth. That company came in, stripped us down to nothing, sold our equipment, discontinued our video services, and forced in equipment and services that are 15 years behind anything we had previously. They also laid off 5 out of every 6 employees (including my wife), took our benefits away, including pensions, and shipped most of our customer care services to India. While I am thankful to have a job, what they did to this place is a shame. Of course, I could go on and on about how bad it is, but I am sure you can figure out the rest.

While I am glad to have a job, it is just unbelievable how this has changed the entire area. The previous company sponsored races at LMS, was the talk of the town, and was something to be proud of being associated with. Now, I have family members who tell me to "get that ugly thing out of my driveway" if I stop by on my way home, and most folks who honk the horn while passing now usually shoot us the bird.

The prior company employed about 625 people, and made about 30 million profit every year. And yes, the key word there is "profit". I guess for the beneficiaries of the sale, it just wasn't enough...

Kevin

Greg B.

A lot of companies don't survive the founding generation. Thosethat do are usually raped by the "kids" that Dad busted his a>> to educate at some ivy league school. They, or the grand kids, if the company makes it that far, usually find a multi-national to buy the carcass.

Greg B.

kpinnc

That's exactly what happened Greg. When the old man passed last year, his son (who has no wife or kids) sold out.

Kevin

Curmudgeon

How long will it take corporate america to realize...............

Ford is closing plants, moving jobs overseas, and losing money.

Toyota is opening plants in this country, creating jobs here, and making money.

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!

charger10us

My wife & I like to go to Pa. for weekend trips & we spend alot of time in the Bird & hand-- Strawsburg area. I like to pull over & just watch the people work the horses in the feilds & go to the Sight & sound theather.. The one day we was taking a buggy ride, & wile going down the country road looking at the farm land, I asked the buggie driver WHAT are yaw going to do with the milk that yaw send to Hersey???? Some times I don't think the BIGSHOTS looks at the hole pitchure of who all it hurts!!! OR they are just so gready they just don't CARE !!!

AND THAT MY FRIEND IS A SHAME !!!!!!!

I'm in Pa. 30 or more times a year for steam engine shows,,just to stay for the weekend,,or just for a sunday drive,,BUT now I'll have to watch what I eat.. I guess I'll have to eat more pigs & cows & to make up for the lack of candy bars...

I have to keep up my 265 lb. figure somehow !!! :thumbs::D

Billy in Va. just some thoughts :thumbs::P :D

Curmudgeon

"Some times I don't think the BIGSHOTS looks at the hole pitchure of who all it hurts!!! OR they are just so gready they just don't CARE !!!"

You hit the nail squarely on the head, and drove it all the way in with that comment.

CasualObserver

I know this had worked its way down the list of rantings... :whistle: but I came across an article today that made me want to add this. I found it interesting that in fact this Hershey information was more than a year old, and has been investigated by Snopes.com. Seems that the US shutdown is only partially true.

Snopes

Here's another interesting tidbit

A complete list of all the corporations that have sent manufacturing to Mexico does not seem to be available on the Web but a short list includes Levis, Wrangler, Black and Decker, Maytag, Black, La-Z-Boy, Honeywell, Phillips, Eastman-Kodak, Ford, General Motors, Chrysler, Pillsbury, Carrier Air Conditioning, Lexmark, Whirlpool, Colgate, Zenith, Canon and Pratt & Whitney.

No matter who occupies the Oval Office next year, these jobs are gone from America.