Sign in to follow this  
yokomist

Mystery Wheel Horse

yokomist

I just purchased my first Wheel Horse but I have no idea what it is.

The build plate with all the info is gone, I am pretty sure the seat is not original. Its hydro and came with a plow. Its also 12hp kohler.

I spent some time in the galleries and started getting way to many possibilities (raider 10/12, 877, electro 12, charger 12 etc.)

Any help would be greatly appriciated so I can find a manual and work out what all the levers do!

http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/yokomist/

BTW, how do I add photos directly to the post?

Thanks

Bevan

C-Series14

:USA:

Copy the "img code" like this. The ID tag is under the dash, it is painted over...at least I think I see it! :D

DSC01354.jpg

TT

Although many things have been changed/modified, I'll go with 1968/69 Charger 9/10.

(it might be a 12, but I'm guessing the Tecumseh died and was replaced with a Kohler)

Brrly1

Hello and Welcom to Red Square :USA: All lot of the guys who hang out here will get to squared away and should be able to diagnose any problems that arise. Best place on the internet to hang out. Good Luck See Ya, Bye Burly :wh:

:D

802heath

good luck on the i.d. ,Terry is usually correct. :D :USA:

yokomist

Thankyou to everyone for the warm welcomes!

Terry I think you are right about being a charger, i see the 12 auto came with the same engine I have, would that make it a 12?

What things have been changed from original that you see?

Is there any way to find a manual online for this without a model number? The build plate has definately been removed, I double checked after Mike's comment, sadly it was gone.

Im not sure what some of the levers do, does the one on the right that moves up and down engage a attachment belt?

Thanks again!

Bevan

Kelly

You sure the tag is gone?? looks like it is painted over right in front of the seat below the dash small about 3/4" tall 2" wide carfully remove the paint to see the numbers, it's not a 12 auto, it's older like TT said the engine, dash panel, seat, rear fender raised up, I'd say it's charger also like TT

TT

Click on this link: manual

When the page opens, select the "manuals" tab and click on the "1-7931: Op. Manual / Parts Catalog (English - 16 pages)" link to open or download the .pdf file.

I have looked at your pictures again and can't honestly say I know exactly what it is. I will say that it's a mixture of a few tractors, but is predominantly early Charger.

The manual above should help you figure out what the levers and other gadgets are for...... and I'll keep trying to figure out what you have.

Could you get a better picture of the hood mounting area at the front of the frame, please?

yokomist

I went and did some scraping. The ID tag was removed. I also discovered in my scraping that the ID tag was removed after the tractor was painted blue but before it was repainted red! lol

I was also unclear before, I think its a 1969 charger 12. Does anyone have a model number for this model that I can enter on the toro site to see a manual?

Thanks

Bevan

TT

I think its a 1969 charger 12. Does anyone have a model number for this model that I can enter on the toro site to see a manual?

1-7241

yokomist

Ok I have the pictures for you

DSC01356.jpg

DSC01357.jpg

And this is where the ID Tag used to be

DSC01358.jpg

I will take a look at the manual!

Thanks guys

Bevan

TT

Wow! :D:USA: There's some funky mix-n-match stuff happening there.

I guess I'd say it is (was?) a '69 Charger something.

yokomist

Thanks for the help, after reviewing the manual, It looks to me a lot like the charger 12 from the second model number you gave me. What things differ that you can see?

Also what are the funny bars with the bolts in the end sticking up on either side behind the hood mount?

Thanks

Bevan

TT

Also what are the funny bars with the bolts in the end sticking up on either side behind the hood mount?

That's the headlight mount for the 60's HL-5 headlight kit. (don't "give" it away if someone asks about it :D )

The hood mount is very strange (not original) and looks like parts from other WH hoods.

It also has a newer dash / controls, mid hitch, and perhaps even the gas tank tray.

joebob

wow TT's got that right, there is alot of differant pieces on that , the dash is the biggest give away they should be push/pulls not levers,

the rods in the front look to be head lamp mounts

yokomist

Wow ok, thanks guys.

I'm quite dissapointed, is this still a worth while restoration project?

I figured the hood would need replacement, its pretty eaten up.

Forgive my ignorance, what is a mid hitch?

Thanks for the continued help :D

Bevan

TT

Forgive my ignorance, what is a mid hitch?

The mid-hitch is bolted to the frame under the engine and is the attachment point for mower decks, cultivators, mid-mount grader blades, etc.

The "speed hitch" - as they were first named - used a swinging latch secured by a hair pin clip. The next version locked via a "thick washer" mounted to the release rod. To release or open the hitch, the operator simply pushed in on the end of the latch lock rod and could then swing the latch open. The newest version had a small lever "extension" on the end of the latch mounting rod - which helped greatly to prevent pinched fingers. :wh:

I'm quite dissapointed, is this still a worth while restoration project?

Once you have determined exactly what you want this tractor to "be" (year/model), there is no reason why you can't fix it up and give it a nice paint job.

The "restoration" term seems to mean anything from a quick paint job with new decals to a complete tear down with reassembly back to the original as-it-rolled-off-the-assembly-line condition these days, so as long as it suits you, then I say go for it! :D

I believe I have a "special" part for your tractor that might help you......

Stay tuned for a picture. :USA:

TT

No more "what is it?" :D

C12tag.jpg

PM me with your name & address and I'll get this in the mail. :USA:

rickv1957

Hello and :D Rick

joebob

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzQtMjAxMDA1MjMtMTMzM.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzMtMjAxMDA1MjMtMTMyO.jpg

heres the hinge and dash from a 7241

yokomist

Terry you are a gentleman and a scholar! I will PM you, thanks alot, thats a very kind gesture :D

Is it generally frowned upon to have parts that dont match the model?

How is the original hinge bracket attched to the frame? is it welded?

Thanks for those photo's joebob, really helpful!

As far as stripping the tractor down and everything, thats is my goal, as there has already been many coasts of paint and the surfaces are no longer flat. It looks like I have a long road ahead of me.

Bevan

Save Old Iron

:D

Bevan,

you will find there are many rewards from taking on a total rebuild.

There is the thrill of the hunt to find new information and parts for the rebuild, skills you will acquire along the way, but most importantly. the friendships you develop along the way. TT and Joebob just showed us all a great example of that.

Duff

:USA:

Bevan,

you will find there are many rewards from taking on a total rebuild.

There is the thrill of the hunt to find new information and parts for the rebuild, skills you will acquire along the way, but most importantly. the friendships you develop along the way. TT and Joebob just showed us all a great example of that.

I have to concur wholeheartedly with Chuck - my two rebuilt 312's are a tribute to the firendships and wisdom acquired here at Red Square!

Keep us posted on your progress!

Duff :D