Sign in to follow this  
plowmaster

wheel horse sickle bar rarity

plowmaster

are sickle bars all that rare? i find it hard to beleive nobody has the part im looking for . i dont see too many for sale, possibly once a year or so, searching all over the state and vt and ct, in craigslist or ebay. its getting so im AFRAID to run it if i actually do find the part, because what happens if something else goes on it?

pfrederi

They aren't real common.

As to parts, what are you looking for? Wheel horse bought alot of stuff used in the mower.... The stone guards, sections, wear plates, and the hold downs are not unique to wheel horse. You can fabricate grass sticks...

Jari, Haban and many others use the same ones. Webbs Sickle service is one place that has generic sickle parts.Webbs Webpage

plowmaster

i did not think that they tooled their own parts for these, as theres not many around (wh) and sickle bars have been around forever. witch leads me to another question...parts commonality, as in what parts did wh buy to build these, or did they just buy a whole unit and manufacture its bracketry? brackets being the end plot to this story, being exactly what i need, the front bracket that holds the front on and routes the belt.

this was surley made by wh to fit their tractors, im assuming.

thanks for any input. im looking forward to working with this bar, even though i just went through a mess with my mower deck, i would rather run the sickle to get under fences and knock down some weeds in areas the brush hog wont fit. i replaced the lawn duty with a 61" ferris, complete with a motor and wheels.

sorekiwi

I looked for a year before I found my first one, and probably paid too much for it. My second one I came across by accident. Still paid too much for it, but if I do ever sell it, I should be able to get my money out of it.

I havent had to buy any sections etc for mine yet, but I have heard that they are available with a little searching. I have also heard that the one for the JD's used the same sections and somewhere I have the JD part #'s.

I've used mine a couple of times so far this spring. I have a creek running through my property, and the reason I wanted one was to try and cut the grass and brush along the banks. I havent really got the hang of it yet, and its a bit unweildly when you come to an obstacle (like a tree!). A little scary in a few spots as well, where the bank slopes off pretty steeply. I think I need to add a counterweight to offset all the weight hanging right out there. It does a good job though, and really cuts down on the time I have to listen to a weed wacker.

I also have a very wet area where the grass is so thick it bogs down a rotary mower instantly, and the sickle bar keeps that under control quite nicely.

This is the thread over on MTF that made me decide I needed to own one of these contraptions: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.p...light=venerable

I can hunt up my drawing with the dimensions, when you resign yourself to the fact that you are going to have to build the pulley unit yourself!

plowmaster

i know mike, maybe you put it in the back of your head and trip over them drawings sometime soon, he he.

some dimensions would be handier than hanging half the unit under the tractor and pulling it out several times, just to discover youve got some wrong geometry after you hit the pto. ive accumulated as many pics as i could find on here, thanks for all the help folks!

have a good weekend

jon

here 4 the horses

hey mike, got any pictures of that avatar tractor

sorekiwi

Jon, just pm'ed you...

plowmaster

thanks mike.

i managed to read a few pages of that thread. one thing is, mine will be driven off the front of the tractor.

im close to getting my corn and beans finished. the sickle bar will be the next project.