patq

Help... my shift lever pulled out.

patq

gear shift lever pulled out and has a ball on the end with a pin through it..not sure if I am missing a part ..I need a drawing that shows how the shift lever goes in .

thanks in advance for your help Pat

• Like 1

TT

You don't really need a drawing, you just need to look for the dog-point set screw / jam nut at the front of the hole where the shifter enters the transaxle.

Place the shifter back into the hole until the hole in the front of the pivot ball aligns with the end of the set screw and tighten the set screw gradually while moving the shifter. Once the shifter starts to feel snug but still moves freely, hold the set screw while tightening the jam nut.

• Like 2

rmaynard

shaft.jpg.0bc28a0ec70d37f6d354c572095f3583.jpgin.jpg.2e862187cbb71b470ba4ee48d5742d06.jpgpin.jpg.67e7c17c1891a3e1755522dc62d29fe0.jpgpinin.jpg.92d8c27568f5d4f48c81424b7cb215a2.jpg

Before inserting shift lever, make sure that the forks are aligned in the neutral position as shown below:

forks.jpg.769a71b378ea3893c75ac501cf08a489.jpg

Edited by rmaynard
Just replace Photobucket pics that have broken links
  • Like 9

littleredrider

And make sure you don't drop it inside the tranny. The same thing happened to my ranger, couldn't get the f'n bolt out so had to split the case, only to find out that I pulled half of the case where the shift balls were, and now can't get the brake drum off so I can put it together.... :D

• Like 1

T TOWN

Thanks guys for all the replies.. I went from not having a clue on how to fix this thing to now having an idea of what to do.... thanks again!!!!

Scotsman

Man o man I love this website!

You guys are addons really.

My 312-8 shifter was not going into gear and I followed the directions from rmaynards top notch pictures and found my pin was sheared.

I made one with a nail carefull to leave room for the dogpoint screw to secure the doughnut looking thing on the shift rod at the proper height and I was back in business!

Very pleased with myself, but I could not have done it without rmaynards top notch diagram.

Thanks alot.

Scotsman

I meant to say you guys are awesome.

Silly auto complete.

rmaynard

Back in 2009, I came here looking for help myself, and I never left.

Glad my little tutorial was of help to you.

• Like 2

admp

tunahead72

Agreed, and it would be even more excellent if @rmaynard could find his original photos and repost them here. :)

rmaynard
2 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

Agreed, and it would be even more excellent if @rmaynard could find his original photos and repost them here. :)

Done. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

tunahead72

Nice! :thumbs:

rmaynard

It's a shame that Photobucket has become so greedy and is holding everyone's images hostage unless they pay $399 to upgrade. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

ohiofarmer

A part number for the dog point or a source to buy would be appreciated

953 nut
10 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

A part number for the dog point or a source to buy would be appreciated

Paul @pfrederi posted this yesterday.

Jhawkins

Having the same issue with a 1986 414-8 that I’m trying to save. Looks like all the info I need is right here! Thanks guys!!