Sign in to follow this  
dennisleno07

i need help

dennisleno07

i'm working on the wires of my automatic 12 and was wondering if there is a way to test the rectifier? the teminials are rusted some.

BPjunk

Now I gather that right now the engine is not running so we will have to go another way to test the rectifier.

Keep in mind the job that a rectifier does .... it keeps the voltage down so the battery does not get over charged.

Now you might have 30 some volts going into the rectifier BUT only 13.2 to 13.8 volts coming out. Keep in mind that this spec depends on how good the connections are.

Find the wire going to the battery from the rectifier, this will be your charging wire that should have 13.2 to 13.8 volts (this is also with the engine running at 3600 RPM). OK now we need a way to produce 30 volts and feed it into the rectifier and then see if you get the 13 some volts out of the charging wire.

Hummmmmm some 12 volt batteries hooked in series paralle (+/-) to (+/-) would get you 24 volts and might work or you might take it to a automotive electrical shop for them to check

Bill in Richmond, Va.