firedigger

520H starter help

Save Old Iron

Hello again... I checked the voltage at the trigger wire, ~15 volts. The starter is directly wired to a battery, check to make SURE of the ground, get ~15 volts(positive post to negative post).

This is what threw us all off.

15 volts at the trigger would have suggested the tractor was running when you made the measurement - a fully charged battery rarely produces over 14 volts. A voltage around 15 vDC would suggest charge current was being produced from a healthy stator / rec / reg system.

Hindsight being 20 / 20 , we should have checked the voltage across the battery WHILE THE STARTER CIRCUIT WAS ENGAGED.

In this particular case, the voltage from the battery should have / would have dropped down to a VERY low voltage.

A second more direct test to check the battery capacity, several companies ( including HF :D ) sells a 50 amp battery load tester ( I have one and it works :USA:). A simple procedure of placing the load tester across the battery terminals and flipping a switch would instantly simulate the load of a starter in a WH tractor. A meter on the load tester will read out the voltage available from the battery at a 50 amp load. This would have pinpointed a dead battery instantly.

Looks like we have learned a lesson here - GO BACK TO BASICS WHEN NOTHING MAKES SENSE.

Kaenath Pryde
On 4/26/2010 at 1:44 AM, Save Old Iron said:

Firedigger,

with an multimeter set for DC volts (20v scale is fine)

connect one lead to the negative lead of the BATTERY TERMINAL and the other to the metal casing (ground) of the starter.

Try to start. If you see a high voltage on the meter (several volts), you have a high resistance ground path from the battery terminal to the starter ground. You have just measured a large voltage drop across a pathway that should have virtually no resistance. Without a doubt , this would indicate a bad ground connection to the engine.

You could also check this pathway with the ohmmeter but you will need to disconnect the - battery cable from the battery and ohm out from the negative BATTERY CABLE to the starter case. A high resistance would indicate your loosing your ground connection to the engine or thru the engine the starter case.

A third alternative is to connect a heavy gauge jumper wire from the starter mounting bolt directly to the negative battery terminal. If it spins now, you have a ground wire issue to investigate.

I know this is an old dead thread, but Save Old Iron, thank you so much for this suggestion.

I had taken of my motor from the chassis to repair the leaking old drain. i never removed out the bolt that the motor ground was on, and it was covered in ****&Grime™ from a slow, steady small oil leak. After putting her back together, I was getting intermittent starts... some time the starter would just chatter, other times she would start right up. it was driving me crazy until one day, she wouldn't start for anything. I removed and cleaned ever terminal i could find, but the starter just wouldn't catch. I was about to buy a new one when i came across this post, and as a last ditch effort, i pulled off the ground. Not a bit of shiny metal to be found anywhere. 20 minutes later, with a new toothed washer for extra bite, bingo, purring like a kitten.

Thank you, 12 years later!

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:

@Kaenath Pryde, glad you corrected your electrical problem. Good grounds are often overlooked but every bit as important as the hot wire. Please take a couple of minutes and introduce yourself to the group, just click on this link. https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/47-introductions/

Nahhee
On 5/3/2010 at 12:04 PM, firedigger said:

Update... In an effort to try and keep the jungle down while figuring this out, I resigned myself to using our old Troy Built Pony (MTD P.O.$). Moved the new battery over to it and ... there is no such thing as coincidence. Pushed the WH over to my truck, hooked up the jumper cables and viola, she lives! So, bad battery (brand new) plus bad battery charger (brand new) equals more gray hair (somewhat new). I can't tell you how much it hurts to have to admit this, but I should have thought of it sooner and just didn't. When the starter acts like it isn't getting enough juice, then it isn't getting enough juice regardless of what I have hooked up to it. Gents, thank you so much for your help and guidance. Yep, have all this printed off and in the book so I don't have to come back later with the same questions (Heaven forbid!). Thanks again.

Found this old thread when I had the same solenoid clicking issue in original post.  Read the entire thread, tried jumping my 314-8 off my SUV and fired right up.  When shut off after runnign 20+ minutes though same clicking no starting issue.  Jumped off again, started right up again.  Noticed that voltmeter had wild swings, at times pegging the dial.  Took out the battery, hooked up to dumb charger said full.  Hooked up to Noco Genuis 5 charger, set it to restore battery, it completed that and consistently said over voltage when trying to charge.  Bought a new battery and all issues solved.  All of these symptoms happened on a 5 year old el cheapo 1U battery, appears that it just sulfated or otherwise failed, lesson I learned is check the battery first which I could have easily done by swapping in one from my other tractor.  

953 nut
19 hours ago, Nahhee said:

el cheapo 1U battery, appears that it just sulfated or otherwise failed, lesson I learned is check the battery first which I could have easily done by swapping in one from my other tractor. 

Unfortunately I have read that the lower priced batteries made today have thinner lead plates so the likelihood of a garden tractor battery lasting more than a year is not too good. I just replaced a six year old Huskey (Tractor Supply sold them) battery with the ones they sell today. When I lifted the old one compared to the new one it seemed to be a few pounds lighter, hope it was just my imagination.

Handy Don
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

When I lifted the old one compared to the new one it seemed to be a few pounds lighter

I think you are getting stronger! ;)