stevasaurus

3 SPEED #5025 UNI-DRIVE REBUILD

rickv1957

Steve,Tranny is looking good,glad to have helped! :omg::D Rick

• Like 1

clintonnut

Looks great. How much did you pay for all of the bearings together? You bought the 1533 bearings from toro? They are around $70 now.

What is Jason's site? I am interested because my bearing distributers prices have gone through the roof. I'm getting tired paying $12 for a bearing I can slip over my little finger!

Charlie

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Steve: This is great that you took so much time and care to share with others on Red Square for the rebuild.

A fantastic job!

:omg:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Charlie and everyone else...this is Jason's site...

http://www.rcpw.com/search?quest=1533&search=Search

The old berry bearings in Elgin is now Motion Industries

e-mail....MotionMRO.com They can match any bearing(I am told) or seal if you give them the O.D. I.D. and height of the bearing or seal. The guy behind the counter is a guy I have known since the late 60's and the service station days. He is still excellent and very helpful. If you end up calling him, you can mention my name, will not lower the price though. He is the kind of guy that...if you are an a-hole...but if you are serious, he will bend over backwards. When I told him that only Toro made the #1533 bearing and had to get it from them...he looked at me and rolled his eyes. I did not have the I.D. O.D. and height at the time to check it out. If someone has those measurements, I will go back and see if he can match it up. Well worth the time. :omg:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Sorry Charlie...(remember that from a tuna commercial), I don't know how you can do the trans rebuild for $150 with core deposit. I spent a little more then that.

House prices may have come down, wages are lower, but machined parts are not cheap. :omg:

• Like 1

bmuone

A+ on that post Steve. Tk U for that effort. :omg:

• Like 1

Indy w h

Glad to help ya out Steve!!! Just be careful putting it back in

the 702 !!! Hate to see you hurt yourself again :omg:

Indy

• Like 1

tgranthamfd

Nice tutorial. Looking forward to the video of her back on her feet. Good job. :omg:

• Like 1

JimD

We all knew ya could do it Steve. Great job on the tranny and the thread! :omg:

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

Way to go Steve,

just a quick ? about the orange coloration. Is this just surface rust on the gears, shafts, etc, or is it residue from old water / oil contanimation ?

I'm assuming if you could have just wiped it off, it would have been.

Great Job :omg:

• Like 1

Suburban 550

Great job, Steve. :D I'm really proud of you, not only for rebuilding the tranny, but doing it without any injuries to yourself. :D Good luck reinstalling it and great pics. :omg:

• Like 1

dclarke

great job Steve! this will benefit a lot of people, including me. thank you. :omg:

• Like 1

Coadster32

Good job Steve. :omg: Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

trapperjoe

Great informational post and great pics too!

Now... who wants to do a tutorial with my... their GT-14 hydraustat ?

Joe

• Like 1

stevasaurus

The transmission is working fantastic...after witnessing the water damage in a trans...I would tear down every trans suspected of having water or sledge in it. Way to easy and the cost of a $5.00 gasket and piece of mind, versus the cost of bearings...up to $300.00 and going up. I have 3 more horses that were stored with this one...guess what I will be doing in the next few months?

:D

Anyway...a couple of shots of the horse recipient of the rebuild...

2009_0404transmission7020002.JPG

2009_0404transmission7020003.JPG

After doing all that cleaning and painting.....you can't see it...but I know it is there and feel good about it. :D

I've been riding this around the block for the last couple of days...working it in so to speak...needs a cup holder. :D

• Like 2

wheelhorse551

I had one of the older 3-part transaxles. It had water damage and I bought a new one on eBay for $51.00 and $46.00 to ship. I had to switch the side cover because the brake band opened when the clutch/brake pedal was pressed. :omg: I tried it yesterday and it works great. :D

• Like 1

SAM58

It looks like I am going to have to do the same thing, and do a complete rebuild on my 6 speed trans in my Raider 12. it has ran great for 38 years and i think i have an axel clip falling apart. as long as i have it apart i am going to relace all the bearing & seals.

Does anyone have the crossover numbers to listed parts with a good suppier?

The repair manual shows my trans. is a 5073 1972 model

never been inside a trans before, looks like it can be done.

• Like 1

dgjks6

they are not hard to take apart. Outting it back together is another story. Just remember to take out the shifter before lifting off the top half :thumbs:

• Like 1

rmaynard

It looks like I am going to have to do the same thing, and do a complete rebuild on my 6 speed trans in my Raider 12. it has ran great for 38 years and i think i have an axel clip falling apart. as long as i have it apart i am going to relace all the bearing & seals.

Does anyone have the crossover numbers to listed parts with a good suppier?

The repair manual shows my trans. is a 5073 1972 model

never been inside a trans before, looks like it can be done.

Sam,

Click on this link and it will take you to the Toro site. Enter the model number of your tractor and you will find a free download of the transmission manual.

Toro Manuals

Bob

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Duff

Does anyone have the crossover numbers

stevasaurus

bump

bob393

Steve, This is a fantastic post, and thread. It makes the rebuild look almost possible.

• Like 1

tracer

Thanks Steve for the overhaul information and pictures,,,,I might need them. Pictures sure help a fella out,,,especially me. 

• Like 1

Jays308-8

Old topic I know, but do you know the transmission gasket part number?

• Like 2