Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Another frustrated soul with non-removable hubs

rmaynard

I'm trying to remove 1-1/8" hubs. I read all the posts so that I would do it right. I have soaked them with PB Blaster, heated, tapped, tightened puller, over and over again until I feel that one more attempt at tightening the puller will either strip the threads or break something.

I have been at this since early this morning. :omg::D

I'm using this type of puller.

65289e58.gif

Any additional ideas or just moral support from someone who has been there would be appreciated.

Bob

CasualObserver

Bob, if you have steel and a welder, or an extra hub laying about I would suggest trying the ideas in these threads over that jaw puller.

rmaynard

Bob, if you have steel and a welder, or an extra hub laying about I would suggest trying the ideas in these threads over that jaw puller.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=206

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=12731

Unfortunately, no welder. However, I know that I am applying well over 200 ft/lbs of torque on the puller and I have not gotten even 1000th of an inch movement. I know because I am standing on the wrench with one foot, and I'm 200 lbs. :omg:

If it would just start to move a little, I would be happy.

Bob

Save Old Iron

If it would just start to move a little, I would be happy.

Sounds like the thoughts going thru my wife's head when she sees me napping on the couch when there's stuff to be done !

and now for the encouragement part - Go Bob Go !!

Keep whacking that little rusty shaft - the hubs will come off eventually

op51-23001text.jpg

rmaynard

rmaynard,March 19, 2010 04:34 pm] If it would just start to move a little, I would be happy.

Sounds like the thoughts going thru my wife's head when she sees me napping on the couch when there's stuff to be done !

and now for the encouragement part - Go Bob Go !!

Keep whacking that little rusty shaft - the hubs will come off eventually

Thanks Chuck, but I am giving up on the claw puller and I am going to make one from an old 1" hub as did Paul (pfrederi Post Number 99674).

I like the idea of giving the old one-incher a whack or two.

Bob

rickv1957

Go Bob Go!! :omg: Rick

Save Old Iron

Go Bob Go!! :omg: Rick

I'm should charging you guys entertainment tax on my posts

tommy3horse

Forget about the hub....think about the cheerleaders!! :omg:

Tom

Lane Ranger

Bob that second hub thing Paul suggested worked absolutely great in removing my B-80 HUBS for the changing of the oil seals .

I recommend it but you really have to have some good carriage bolts and you have to be extra careful not to ding the threads on the hubs.

I used an extra heavy duty bolt on the inside of the HUB for placing on the axle. Even the heat torch does not always work well but I found this method to work.

Good luck.

:omg:

Butch

I'm trying to remove 1-1/8" hubs. I read all the posts so that I would do it right. I have soaked them with PB Blaster, heated, tapped, tightened puller, over and over again until I feel that one more attempt at tightening the puller will either strip the threads or break something.

I have been at this since early this morning. :omg::D

I'm using this type of puller.

65289e58.gif

Any additional ideas or just moral support from someone who has been there would be appreciated.

Bob

I sure know the feeling about wondering how far you can push a puller to it's limits! I've hidden behind things and have used a 4 foot breaker bar to slowly apply more torque! :D I've even used my impact wrench with a socket and 16 extensions on it to turn the puller! Nope. Don't like pushing the envelope on those things and I don't wanna be a statistic. :D

MaineDad

Pullers, heat, PB Blaster and a big rubber mallet. I've broke them on purpose just to show 'em who's boss :omg:

btrrg1969

I have never tried to pull one off , however I was just wondering , if you could get to the back side , the thickest part of the hub with a air chisel as you keep pressure on your puller and then rotate it as you work ? :omg:

rmaynard

Hitting from the backside will sometimes cause the entire axle to pull out of the case.

Bob

stevebo

Beem there and done that-broken hubs and pulling the axle out of the clips sucks. I would try a little longer then have a shop press them off.

rmaynard

:D :D

Kudos to Paul (pfrederi) for his hub puller design. I went out and bought everything I needed for about $10.00 and made my own puller.

ce446861.jpg

One hour later, blisters in my palm, one can of PB Blaster and half a tank of MAP gas used, not to mention a very large hammer to beat on the 1" bolt head, success!

ef40ed47.jpg

Okay, so I got them off.

Now, how do I get them back on? :omg:

Bob

tarcoleo

Bob-

I'm not envious of your problem, but it surely is a challenge.

Can't help but think that equal portions of patience, continued

pressure from the puller, PB Blaster, HEAT, and a few well placed

taps with a hammer cushioned by a hardwood block--should get

the damn thing off.

Good luck, Tom in RI

rmaynard

It took me five hours over over two days to remove two hubs. Not an easy job, and very frustrating to say the least. :D

Yet I am left wondering why some tractors have a problem with hubs drifting or moving on the axle.

Here is an example: LINK

How can my hubs (on two separate transmissions) be so cotton-pickin' hard to get off, yet others fall off or drift inward in the course of normal operation? :omg:

Bob

Roger from southern Iowa

Remove the axle key and remove rust from inside hub and the axle apply some light oil.

Reinstall key and they have always slid right on for me.

Clean, clean and more clean. :omg:

Ole MN

Emery cloth and oil, shine up the shaft and hub slide it on.

MikesRJ

Neversieze works wonders too.

rmaynard

Remove the axle key and remove rust from inside hub and the axle apply some light oil.

Reinstall key and they have always slid right on for me.

Clean, clean and more clean. :omg:

Thanks Roger.

To others out there, has anyone ever tried an anti-seize product such as Dynatex on the axles?

Dynatex Anti-Seize

Bob

Roger from southern Iowa

Am I one of the others? :omg:

I've never used that brand, but anti-seize in general sure helps if you have to do the same job in the future. :D

pfrederi

I use permatex never-seize on everything. it is messy and gets all over you and everything you touch. BUT I have removed exhaust manifold bolts that I put on with never seize 10+ years ago with no problem..

rmaynard

I use permatex never-seize on everything. it is messy and gets all over you and everything you touch. BUT I have removed exhaust manifold bolts that I put on with never seize 10+ years ago with no problem..

Thanks Paul, and many, many thanks for the puller concept you came up with. It was slow, but effective. Only thing I need to find is 3/8" grade 8 bolts with all-thread. My local TSC sells grade 8, but no all-thread.

Bob

HorseFixer

Good Job Bob! :D and Chuck I think it was the Cheerleaders that did it! :omg: