Sign in to follow this  
rodco

Power Steering on C-161 needed

rodco

I have read some older posts on creating a power steering set up for a larger tractor.

I have a Loader on my C-161 Hydro and would really like to have some kind of power steering. The wheels are VERY difficult to steer with the loader mounted, even when empty. I would be willing to buy a pre assembled set up if someone is willing to make one. I think its worth a few hundred dollars to be able to steer the tractor better.

Would narrow tires in the front help? Could they handle the weight of the loader?

Thanks

ROBERT

Pittsburgh PA

4329045817_bc54e946b0.jpg

stevebo

Robert,

The smaller the tires the harder it would be to steer. I would air them up a bit more than usual which will help. Good luck in finding a power steering set up.

Docwheelhorse

Hi--the first thing you could do is to properly shim the steering fan gear, if you look under the tractor at the back of the steering fan (part mounted to frame at end of shaft from steering wheel) you will see a cotter pin and a stack of shims. If there is any play in the shaft that goes forwards to the tierods you should add shims to take up the slack. Most hardware stores sell round shims with 3/4" hole in the center. Second thing you could do is locate the larger steering wheel off of a newer 300/400/500, I have a 312 with one and a 416 with one. The wheel is about two inches larger in diameter and it makes a big difference. Finally---you could locate a gear reduction steering setup out of a newer 520. It is a drop in replacement to your steering, you only need to drill two holes in the frame and cut the steering shaft to length and re-drill the hole for the pin that holds the steering wheel on. You may or may not have to pull the engine to put it in---I have a setup waiting to go into my loader tractor and I don't know if the engine HAS to come out. The gear reduction steering makes your steering two to one and really is a great setup. Its not a cheap setup to find but worth it in the end.

Good Luck

Tony

If all else fails---I'll be over with $500 to take it off your hands B)

fireman

Just to add to what Doc posted above, along with gear reduction steering from the newer 520, get the forward swept axle, with the 1" heavy duty spindles and larger front tires. I have an entire 520 setup on my C-81 w/loader and it makes a huge difference B) .

Doc, I was able to put the gear reduction setup in without pulling the engine. Made a template and marked and drilled the two extra holes from the underside. Was able to snake the steering block in from the right side.

blackplague

My 520 has the gear reduction and with 400+ lbs of weight i can turn fairly easily..

I believe this would be your best bet. Although powersteering would have a " cool" factor B)

Tim

how much weight is in the weight box

might want to add more