Rustoleum Almond in a spray can

thanks  - will do

• Like 1

Greentored

day late and a dollar short, but this is Wimbledon white on wheels:

hoss18.jpg

• Like 3

WH1618speed

Does anyone know the ratios of hardener and reducer to put in the Toro Red Enamel paint? We have 2 gallons of it but it doesn't say anywhere on the cans what the ratios are?

IMG_6591.jpg

• Like 2

PetesPonies1

You would be good at 8:1. 

• Like 1

WH1618speed

@PetesPonies1 Is that for the hardener, reducer, or for both?

Edited by WH1618speed
  • Like 1

PetesPonies1

Hardener. Then reduce until it has the consistency to milk. Enamel and AE have changed over the years. The reducing has changed as well. But the consistency hasn't  :)  Think milk. 

• Like 2

WH1618speed

Ok, thank you I will have to try that!

• Like 1

Crazyredhorse

How you guys paint the little stuff like brackets and linkages.im thinking just getting a paint I can brush on.i have a gun but its overkill for painting a tractor and dont want to mess with reducers and hardners etc. keep cost down too.so I'm thinking rattlecan it and get matching paint to brush for the little stuff any paint you guys recommend.  

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Screenshot_20210723-141053_Google.jpg.9d1740a15c68b4bc1278889c20287556.jpg

• Like 2

Crazyredhorse

hmm does come in a brush on too.

s.jpg

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
55 minutes ago, Crazyredhorse said:

its overkill for painting a tractor and dont want to mess with reducers and hardners etc.

For a protective surface on a WORKER, brush or roller would be fine.

I had an old pick up truck worker that I painted with a roller.  Looked fine for it's purpose but I wasn't winning any concours d'elegance with it!  In fact, I doubt that truck would have made the trip to Pebble Beach!:ychain:

For a 'show tractor' there's no substitute to spraying for getting a fine finish.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Crazyredhorse

That's what I'm thinking. spending 200 on paint and supplies or a 50 dollar job I wont have to worrie about scratching it up.ill get a couple cans of clear go over hood n fenders for a little more protection I'd like to use a high temp gives a good hard finish but not alot of reds.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
14 minutes ago, Crazyredhorse said:

I'd like to use a high temp

Some (maybe all?) of the high temp paints NEED to be conditioned by bringing them up to temp in a couple cycles.

I've sprayed stuff that doesn't get HOT with high temp just because I happened to have some left over and it flaked right off.

Fair warning!  ;)

• Like 2

Crazyredhorse

used some on my jugs for harley its held up good and still shines nice. it's been baked on good though I guess lol

• Like 2

PetesPonies1

Being that I paint, there's no substitute for a catalyzed  paint. You can buy 2K clears in a spray can. About $25, but one you open the spray can, you need to use it all. Just means you plan your painting. 

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
32 minutes ago, PetesPonies1 said:

one you open the spray can, you need to use it all.

I saw one the other day that claimed you did not have to use the whole can in one session.  Damned if I can remember the name of now!  Some sort of patented tech, yadda yadda yadda...

Found it

https://car-rep.com/shop/car-rep-2k-polyurethane-clear-coat-high-gloss-11-oz-aerosol/

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

rmaynard

I have disparaged Majic paint in the past, and I still stand by anything that I said. However, I was looking at industrial water-borne acrylic enamels today that I can teach a 13 year old to apply with an HVLP sprayer. Water-borne because it's safer than oil with hardeners or acrylic urethanes with activators.

So I came across this. It's thinned with plain water. Anyone have any experience with this? 

1897229223_Screenshot_20220629-1802022.png.fcb3321c4ff800904760d7fd7e0a52b9.png

peter lena

@rig854 , mine were called   NAVAJO WHITE . think that was original in 82 on my c 85 . pete

• Like 1

rjg854

That might be original, @peter lena. I just like the Almond for a richer look. I'm not that much of a purist when it comes to color. White wheels just doesn't do it for me.

• Like 2

peter lena

@ rig854 , not a purest at all , like my horses with all problems removed , have no issues with a refit to keep it alive , pete  

rmaynard

Back in 2021, I was painting the rims of the 1967 REO Lawn Skiff that I was hoping to bring to the big show. The color that I found and liked was Krylon Dover White. Maybe not a perfect match, but what is? So, being that I was happy with it, that what I used. I had 2 full cans and a partial left over. Fast forward to a month ago. I was painting the rims of my 701. Knowing that I had some Dover White, I grabbed the cans and started spraying. I got the rears done, remounted the tires, and started on the fronts. All was good until I ran out. So, off to Lowes for another couple of cans. As soon as I sprayed the first coat, I knew something was wrong. Apparently over the last year, Krylon must have changed the formula, and now my front rims looked Rose tinted. The closest color that I could find that was stocked locally was Rustoleum Shell White. So that's my new choice for "Linen Beige" substitute. 

Heatingman
On 6/30/2022 at 7:30 AM, rjg854 said:

That might be original, @peter lena. I just like the Almond for a richer look. I'm not that much of a purist when it comes to color. White wheels just doesn't do it for me.

I just put a spot of some almond on the factory paint to compare - its pretty much dead on.

Heatingman
On 7/23/2021 at 1:06 PM, Crazyredhorse said:

How you guys paint the little stuff like brackets and linkages.im thinking just getting a paint I can brush on.i have a gun but its overkill for painting a tractor and dont want to mess with reducers and hardners etc. keep cost down too.so I'm thinking rattlecan it and get matching paint to brush for the little stuff any paint you guys recommend.  

I use the spray gun mixed with a couple cap fulls of Penetrol and some acetone to thin, a little majic paints hardener to speed dry time. If your painting a bunch of brackets at once, its worth the effort.

or if you just want to brush, add 10 to 15 percent Penetrol, and you wont see the brush marks.

thin a bit less for vertical parts. 

I just sprayed this a couple weeks ago with Rustoleum - IH red implement with acetone and Penetrol, with a little majic paints hardener.

I even brushed on a coat of strait Penetrol as a clear coat - with a chipping brush, and it still came out F8A654EA-41DD-40EE-9DF6-613E9235CBBA.jpeg.038fc03f5d9d3de3b261004dc0755a44.jpeg

• Like 3

PetesPonies1

The hardeners don't speed dry time. If anything, they increase the time to flash over. What they do is chemically cure the paint, so the end result is much different than if you use uncatalyzed enamel.

• Like 3

WH1618speed

What is the modern PPG paint code for the off white used on the wheels <1984 models?

Edited by WH1618speed