nylyon

Wheel Horse Paint Recommendations

Retired Wrencher

:USA:  :wh::thumbs2: Hi Karl Are you sure it is not Sunrise Red buy Rustoleum paint I have parts that never seen sun light and it is close match to SUN /R ?? thanks for the outer info Gary B.................

• Like 2

Fun Engineer

Karl

This paint code is more International Harvester White than Linen. You may want to remove this code from this post.

PPG Wheel Horse Linen Beige DAR 8799

Here's an example. I'm going to repaint in the spring.

IMGP4346.jpg

SPINJIM

It appears that Rustoleum Ivory (off white) is no longer available for painting wheel rims. I searched a few stores and on the Rustoleum website. I tried their White Linen, and I like it better. It's just a hair lighter in color than the original. Their Almond is too dark.

Both Regal Red and Sunrise Red are very close matches to original WH. My unrestored C-85 has more variation in color from one panel to another than there is between Regal and Sunrise.

I have been getting better finishes in general with Rustoleum over Valspar IH Red. Seems more durable and spreads better (rattle can). Rustoleum also makes an IH Red that I haven't tried yet.

• Excellent 1

stevebo

I picked up Navajo white from XO rust Ace for the wheels on my 854 and I would have to say it is almost an exact match. No pics right now as I only painted a small test spot. Fyi

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

I'm painting over the PPG Wheel Horse Linen Beige DAR 8799 with what I usually use. Krylon Ivory. It's not as hard as the automotive but its almost a perfect match for the original linen beige and very easy to apply.

dwayneGT

are there any sugestions or close matches for the workhorse silver/gray?

Fun Engineer

Dwayne

The GT used a Ford/Lincoln-Mercury gray from around the same year. I don't have my paint code here but someone should be able to help you. If no one responds, PM me and I'll look it up this weekend when I'm at my garage. Dave

Hydro

Is there any paint out there that would match or at least come close to the Kohler engine paint? I have a small touch up to one of the tins but the high gloss is too glossy and flat is too dull?

COMMANDO6

I just gotta say, when my dad and I did a partial restore on my Commando 6, we used Krylon Cherry Red and I hate it. When I do a proper restore over the summer, I'll probably use Valspar IH Red.

• Like 1

rmaynard

I just gotta say, when my dad and I did a partial restore on my Commando 6, we used Krylon Cherry Red and I hate it. When I do a proper restore over the summer, I'll probably use Valspar IH Red.

My first B-100 was started with Krylon Cherry Red. I found that it never cured hard, and all I had to do was barely touch it with a tool and it would scratch or chip. I sanded it down, put a coat of epoxy primer on it, and repainted with acrylic urethane.
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

bountyhunter

My first B-100 was started with Krylon Cherry Red. I found that it never cured hard, and all I had to do was barely touch it with a tool and it would scratch or chip. I sanded it down, put a coat of epoxy primer on it, and repainted with acrylic urethane.

Just curious, did you use KRYLON Primer under it? I had the same happen to me until I used the Krylon primer and haven't had that problem since.

Sam

bountyhunter

Dwayne

The GT used a Ford/Lincoln-Mercury gray from around the same year. I don't have my paint code here but someone should be able to help you. If no one responds, PM me and I'll look it up this weekend when I'm at my garage. Dave

Are the Models GT14 and the GT1100 from the same year? I need to find out what year mine is as it has no numbers on it.

Sam

• Like 1

COMMANDO6

We used Krylon primer, and it cured fine. But it does chip easily, and I don't like the color match. There are bits of the tractor with the original paint, and it is very different.

rmaynard

Just curious, did you use KRYLON Primer under it? I had the same happen to me until I used the Krylon primer and haven't had that problem since.

Sam

I used Krylon, Duplicolor, Valspar, and many others primers. None gave me acceptable results.

glgrumpy

I use the Case/IH paints on my Molines and others and like it best for finish. I use the 1250 red for my MM wheels and trims but would think the other Farmall red they offer would be more like Horse color. You can get the Cub Cadet type colors for the wheels there also. Paint dries in minutes, including the primer and can be done faster than others. Shine holds up good and good wear resistance. Biggest set-back is the nearly $12 price for rattle cans. Qts. can be gotten for $20 to $25 tho and good buy if you can spray. Need their thinner tho, is Xylene, reg thinner won't cut it at all to clean up.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-goodpost: Good tip being that our Valspar IH red is going away.

Ryan H

This is my tractor that is painted with the valspar restoration series IH red

post-7792-0-31810700-1340893847.jpg

• Like 2

bountyhunter

All of the red colors look great, but I have decided to go with a Pewter color for my GT1100. Have already painted part of the hood, have pictures of it but left my camera at my shop.

Will post them later.

546cowboy

I have a GT1848 that I painted last month and it was supposed to be Pewter Grey when new and I couldn't find anything like that. I used Van Sickle Light Ford Grey and mixed in some flat black until it matched pretty close with some of the protected areas. Turned out pretty good but you better make sure you mix enough and some extra before you start painting. Of course if you think the color is off when you paint a coat, you can change the next coat. Add white to make it lighter and black to make it darker. By the way that Van Sickle is the best paint I've used and it's about $12 a quart or $25 a gallon at the farm store where I get it. The hardener is about $26 for the larger can and it mixes 8 oz. paint - 1 oz. of hardener.

• Like 1

Rooster

You will be happy with tha Van Sickle paint Cowboy! We have used it for years. It is very durable, does not scratch easy and when you harden it has a great shine. Sprays easy, covers well; just has everything you want out of a paint. I will be posting pics of the 856 I am about done with soon and the " case IH Red" looks great!

All that quality from a real American company to boot!!

Also, from past experiences the spray cans match the quarts very well!

varosd

International Harvester Red IH-2150-------------------71310

Wheel Horse Tractor Red-------------------------------72034

http://personalpages.tds.net/~thompson_wp/misc/PPG%20Tractor%20Colors.htm

trolling on the web and found these PPG paint codes. might be old or changed but FYI.

TT

Food for thought.......

IH-50 is the code for the paint color that the Ponds wanted to match as closely as possible way back in the 40's. This is the red that was used on the McCormick Farmall "alphabet" tractors (A, B, C, H, M, etc.) up until mid-1949 and has more red pigment compared to later formulas that contain yellow pigment.

My neighbor, his dad, and his uncle collectively have about 40 of these tractors. My neighbor is a body & paint man by profession and he actually has a little extra purple toner added to get the "right look".

This is IH-50:

DSC00882.jpg

Yes - I know it's a Super C and it's newer than the cut-off time for IH-50. The owner prefers the true red and chose to paint it with the old formula instead of the "correct" lighter (orange-ish) red.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IH-1102b was the next code used, then came 2150 - both of which get lighter and more orange as you go. 2150 is supposedly the formula comparable to the Valspar "IH red".

Catalyzed automotive paints are undoubtedly the best for a durable long-lasting finish. Look through paint chip books, at car dealers, etc. until you find a red that makes you happy and spray away. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1