nylyon

Wheel Horse Paint Recommendations

echris
On 9/27/2020 at 8:42 AM, rmaynard said:

Krylon has always been a favorite of mine because it dries so quickly. But that has drawbacks, mainly the fact that it isn't as tough as oil based paints that dry slowly. I still use Krylon for small items and touch-up. As far as the problem with color inconsistency, I buy my Krylon from my local Sherwin-Williams store and they will work on my behalf to solve issues with Krylon.

Krylon gloss black! It's the only one you can handle the part in less than a week. Looking at you Rust-Oleum gloss black. :lol:

Seriously though, unless it was really rusty, I prefer Krylon for gloss black if I have it.

echris
On 9/27/2020 at 11:11 AM, AMC RULES said:

Recently bought 4 cans of Regal red from our local hardware store. Had to return 3 of them because they were actually mislabeled cans of the wrong cherry red color.

That sounds like a mix-up on the labeling line. :(

I recently bought 3 cans of Rust Oleum Sunrise Red
for the Toro snowblower restore I'm working on.

It looks like it's too red to use on a 1989 WH.

Is the Regal Red a closer match to an '89? Hope to do some painting this winter.

Thanks!

Lost.soul.collecter

Wow who know there was so many reds lol well thanks everybody at least now I know we're to start and look not sure how long it will take me now that winter is creeping up but when im done there will be pics thanks again 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

New shade of red named - “ Can o’ Worms”... just open up a topic on “paint choices” on RedSquare, then sit back and watch the comments...! :hide:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

dwayneGT

This may help to make the list more complete 

0DE7F318-BB8C-41D8-B61C-7A3F77C66D25.jpeg

• Like 1

sparkie333

Yes that is it---I thank you for having this I seen where some--- have been trying to come up with the old paint colors.  Would it be ok to post it on MY TRACTOR FORUM?  I see where you acknowledged my anniversary I know I came back on here because of some of the changes and I had tp pick another handle ( sparkie333) but I do go back to 2011 I think can you find it and I prob. went by the handle sparkie back then.

Wheelhorse#1

I used Regal Red Rusto on a deck resto .Don’t think it looks to bad,

E1E59459-F4C8-4B41-85F1-D557889B0236.jpeg

• Like 4

Greentored

Posting here for folks to reference and compare. 

On the left: PPG ‘Shopline’  IH 2150/ PPG 71310. On the right: IH 50/ PPG 70019. Both are single stage urethane, mixed by the same paint shop/individual. 
No photos for reference, but Duplicolor DE1653 red engine enamel aerosol is VERY close to the IH50/70019 when applied over the same base. 
Hope this helps someone along the way. 

EAA8119D-CC1A-4971-97E8-7B7C87583276.jpeg

• Excellent 2

Brockport Bill
On 7/29/2012 at 9:29 PM, Tankman said:

Saw this afternoon, although I wasn't lookin' for paint, plenty of Valspar paint at Lowes.

THAT'S LOTS OF TERRIFIC PAINT  INFO --THANKS -- THIS IS ALL FOREIGN TO ME SO LET ME ASK A SILLY SIMPLE PAINT QUESTION - AS I READ THROUGH THE "PAINT" THREAD I NOTICE ALL THESE PAINT CODES SUGGESTED  FOR OTHER MFG'S ETC -- IS THEIR SUCH A THING AS A PAINT CODE FROM WH WHEN THEY WERE MANUFACTURING THE 1989, 312-8 TRACTOR SERIES? i SEE IH CODES, ETC - WHAT ABOUT A WH PAINT CODE?

Jeff-C175

I finally found a few cans of Rusto Regal Red.  The store shelves have been barren of this color for MONTHS!  Maybe something to do with Christmas?

I've found it to be quite close to the color on my '80 C-175, but the fender pan I replaced the plastic one with is much newer and a bit redder.  Even though the paint on the pan is in EXCELLENT shape, I'll probably repaint that with the Regal Red.  The rest of the machine is 'good enough'.   I need to give my mower deck a good cleaning and paint job though... oh, and the plow blade too  The black part of the hood is going to get a repaint in the spring. (but I'm pretty sure that once I start I'm gonna do the red part also)   I really like the Krylon heat resistant black.  It's fairly tough when cured and sprays nicely with just the right sheen for my taste.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Brockport Bill

thanks to all the prior year paint thread comments as well as today, 1-12-21 --- as guy new to forum with my 31 yr old 312-8 from 1989 this has been enlightening -- very insightful and helpful -- I went to a paint store today after reading some Forum comments and shared my WH story - so I think  i am on track to decide how to proceed - also plan to discuss with an auto body shop this week for more guidance -- I wasn't  planning what would be a full restore --- more along the lines of painting my mower deck and my plow blade -- but now after reading comments and seeing some photos rethinking of maybe pulling off major pieces of tractor and doing them as well -- like others my original paint is in ok shape but obviously some fading and scratches - so i don't want multiple colors and contrasts -trying to decide what makes sense -thanks again for sharing. Bill

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

I paint my parts red and my wheels white...lol:lol:

• Haha 1

Raposo

Hey guys, does anyone know what rattle can paint would match the gray that can be found on the later toro machines? Its not the bright metallic silver found on the older machines, its like a darker flat gray.

Picture 2 of 6

Damien Walker
On 2/28/2019 at 1:05 PM, purdey said:

Hi Guys,

Here in the UK Rustoleum don't have a Regal Red! - anyone know the RAL number for this? Closest one I can find seems to be Carmine Red - RAL no. 3002.

Many thanks

On 2/28/2019 at 2:25 PM, rmaynard said:

I have it in my paint file that someone once told me the equivalent RAL is 3018.

Just adding two penneth:

I decided to powder coat my Toro built 518H and, according to Toro's website, Toro New Red is Pantone 186C.

Pantone colours are not easily available this side of the pond and so I tried the RAL system. It's a German system REICHSAUSSCHUSS FÜR LIEFERBEDINGUNGEN (means Empire Committee for Delivery Conditions) and there is no direct equivalent colour.

I looked Pantone 186C up on an Android conversion app and that said RAL3027.....I didn't check but we all had a good laugh when I picked up the panels as RAL3027 is very pink.

I acquired some pre-coated test samples from a supplier and chose RAL3001 as being the closest. They then supplied me with different powder, and panels turned orange. I think RAL3001 is probably too orange anyway in fact and so at considerable expense, I purchased an official single colour per page 'K5 Classic' swatch and none of the powder coat samples nor the completed panels come anywhere near to matching the swatches.

I note the comment above about RAL3003 (apologies, I tried to quote it but I think there's a max of two quotes allowed) and that looks fantastic....pity neither the swatch nor the pre-coated test panel I have match it. I have the necessary kit and so coated so small items myself...and it was too dark.

I know some folk use RAL3020 for painting their MF tractors, but that also looks too bright for us Wheelhorse owners.

I eventually ended up going for Post Office Ruby Red, which though rather too dark seemed to be a nice colour. Would you believe it, despite me providing them with the powder, firm I used to coat my panels decided it was wrong and used the post office red that they use for other customers! Apologies, I do not know the code for either of these too...probably BS standards.

Three powder coating cycles (all at my expense) is enough for anyone  so I have accepted it, but it is still a bit bright.

Finally, looking at the RAL K5 swatch, 3018 is a lighter pink than 3027 (be warned!), 3000, 3001, 3002 are too orange and 3003 is way too dark (mine was in practice too!). Basically the RAL system doesn't have any clear red colours that come close...they are all too orange or brown or dark (maroonish).

I think the lesson to be learned is that it is nearly impossible to predict the finish colour when you are not comparing like with like (a swatch printed on paper, will NOT be the same as a powder coated metal panel). If you purchase surplus powder from dubious sources (full batches of powder are too expensive for the amateur, so buying from dubious sources is really the only option) you are likely to experience similar issues.

Arrgghh!

Brockport Bill

i know most questions are about red paint --- this is about the cream/creme color people are putting on rims?  I see various standard WH wheel rim colors - typical silver, but also white -- however , i am interested in that one color  that has an appearance of being a cream color, or an off white? What color is that? Mfg and color name that people are using? thanks -

SylvanLakeWH

Example of Rustoleum Canvass White:

CAFE4C8E-0919-4FFE-B5BB-249226F96684.jpeg

4CAC1022-335C-48B4-876A-ED9E52AA8A4F.jpeg

72E52549-4529-413D-A557-53AABAB60D78.jpeg

8A645599-28F2-4EC5-B53B-FD28B2D3451E.jpeg

• Like 2

rjg854

It's all up to individual choice, I happen to like almond, it's a bit richer in color. And I like the contrast with the red. FWIW.

Brockport Bill

i recently acquired a 1980, and 1983 C175 - seems like a cream/creme rim color - Don't know what WH was putting on rims as original color ?? Rims and equipment get swapped around so frequently with equipment 40 yrs old --- but that's what i was trying to learn that color ?? Thanks

Brockport Bill

here are photos of the "whitish" rims on c175 now............ but i have seen in the Gallery, and other photos, of a deeper more cream/creme color -- thats the mfg and color name i was searching -thanks 

c 175 front rim.jpg

c175 rear rim.jpg

• Like 1

Brockport Bill
8 hours ago, rjg854 said:

It's all up to individual choice, I happen to like almond, it's a bit richer in color. And I like the contrast with the red. FWIW.

what manufacturer produces the almond you refer to - does it have a specific name other than almond?

Brockport Bill

i like the look of SylvanlakeWH "canvas white" -- got a bit of cream/creme and almond tint to it - great contrast to the black and the red

• Thanks 1

PetesPonies1

Ford Wimbledon White . or if you like even a bit more off white .  Ford Colonial white.

• Like 1

Brockport Bill
4 minutes ago, PetesPonies1 said:

Ford Wimbledon White . or if you like even a bit more off white .  Ford Colonial white.

where would i get the Ford paint - - an auto body shop - would it just be available in gallons  - or spray cans?

PetesPonies1

Any paint store has those paints. Wimbledon, code M, is very popular. Was used on and off for 40 years by Ford. Colonial white was an early 60s only, I think. But either is readily mixed at any paint store, or even on line. Spray cans of Wimbledon can be had fairly easily as well.

rjg854
10 hours ago, Brockport Bill said:

what manufacturer produces the almond you refer to - does it have a specific name other than almond?

Rustoleum Almond in a spray can

• Like 1