Sign in to follow this  
~ETC~

1975 CUB CADET 1100

~ETC~

just picked up a 1975 INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER CUB CADET 1100 SERIES for $50

its manual. now does anyone know if the trans is alum or cast iron and how sturdy is it?

i have a chance to get a cub cadet hydro trans for $50 but i dont know if it will work or not as the guy dont know what model the hydro is from.

it has a horiz shaft 11hp briggs. just got it to fire today it has super weak spark... i can only get it to stay running with a weed eater plug so im going to change out the coil.

the odd thing is first time i ran it no smoke ran smooth. second time i fired it it smoked for like 3 mins and smelled strong of burning oil.

the crank case vent tube wasnt hooked up the first time and it was puking oil like crazy. second time i ran it i had the hose hooked up but it runs into the air cleaner on the opposite side of the engine. does this mean my vent thing is bad?

also the rear tires dont hold air they are 23x8.50-12nhs im looking for some slightly wider or as wide as the ones on it but i want v tread tires i think their called ag tires?

if anyone knows where i can get a good used pair or new pair for a fair price please let me know. or where i can get a full set of used dualies with the right offset rims for it to work

also does anyone know the side of the bolt pattern? i want to temporarily put car rims on it untill i can find some tires but none of my gm rims will fit.

ive tried cavaliere, camaro, astro van, full size truck, and fiero rims and none of the bolt patterns fit.

one last question. if i tear it apart down to the frame and respray everything in my paint booth what would this thing be worth? i found a 1150 with a blown engine for $500 dirty and rusted, but i dont know the difference from a 1100 and a 1150 so mine can be worth way less. or more but i doubt it

100_0159.jpg

CUB CADET PHOTO ALBUM

~ETC~

I ALSO PLAN ON FIXING THE HOLES IN THE DECK.

i plan on cutting the rust out and welding in patch panels flush with the original sheetmetal. then grind the welds flush and hit it with 100 grit to smooth it out then spray the whole deck with farm equipment almond white.

the hood and other white parts will also be sanded with 100 grit and painted with the same almond white.

im not sure what to use for the yellow just yet everything i find seems too bright or too dark

the engine will be resprayed black with 1000* engine enamel super gloss paint

its what i paint my chevy engines i build with so it sould work just fine on the 11hp briggs

ive seen several older garden tractors with round headlights on the sides of the front end. im wondering if cub cadet did the same and had the headlights on either side of the hood or if they were in the grille

T-Mo

First off, not a bad looking tractor. But the 1100 should have a horizontal shaft 11 hp Briggs. Also, the transmission is aluminum Peerless 4-speed transmission. The 1100 was unique and to a lot of Cub guys, not worthy of the IH name, because of the Briggs engine and Peerless transmission. It will have a drive shaft back to a 90 degree gear box that will drive a belt to the pulley on the transmission. 4 speeds forward, a creeper low, and reverse. Some have converted their 1100 and the 482 and 582 Special (which succeeded the 1100) with Cub rears but need some clutch parts, drive shaft, etc. to make the conversion.

See this link for the brochure of one: http://cubcadet.1.forumer.com/index.php?ac...ype=post&id=240

Oh, btw, the 12 inch rims from any garden tractor with the 5 bolt hole pattern will fit.

~ETC~

oops i dont know why i said vert i meant horizontal.

im not sure what im going to do with this mower as of yet

T-Mo

I can't really tell you what to do with it, but if you can get a Cub transmission for $50, see if you can get the whole tractor and just convert this 1100 over to the Cub transmission. That Peerless transmission is aluminum, but is used in a lot of tractors, Sears, JD, etc. But it won't be as durable as a Cub transmission which is cast iron. Good luck.

~ETC~

aluminum trans huh.....

thats something i didnt want to hear.

ive had bad luck with aluminum trannies... they break too easily.

i could swear i seen rust on the trans

Kelly

Try a magnet

baerpath

Yup it's a 50 dollar cub :thumbs: I threw one in with a 1200 Cub I sold just to get rid of it ! Same tractor only has a real cub rear and a K301 in it.

Duane

T-Mo

It does have a cast aluminum transmission housing - that and the Briggs engine is the reason why the Cub guys dismiss it and don't even consider it and the 482 and 582 Special garden tractors. Just picture a C-series with an aluminum, inferior transmission.....that's why the Cub guys dismiss them.

Now, Duane, that 1200 is a different story, a true Cub Cadet garden tractor (though it's from the dreaded Quiet Line series.) :thumbs: The Cub guys would be over that one in a heart beat.

~ETC~

well i can get around $300 out of it. thats what ive been offered for it

but this is the first and only garden tractor ive been able to get my hands on.

i rode it a few times and it handles so much different i love it.

and the creeper/granny gear is cool

i pulled a blazer up a hill with it today cus it ran out o gas in my neighborhood an they live next door to me. so i helped them out an had fun at the same time

no problem at all it didnt even bogg down.

and whats wrong with a briggs engine?

i prefer brigs over most others. i do like the kohler cast iron horizontal ones but they are stubborn in the winter..well the ones i had were anyways.

Kelly

The briggs is a good engine, other brands use them for most applications,and have for years like simplicity, but most of them are the cast iron briggs, not sure if yours is iron or alum. the alum briggs just don't last like a iron motor, that is why you see many iron Kohlers still running 40 years later.

baerpath

well i can get around $300 out of it. thats what ive been offered for it

Smile nicely, shake their hand, take the money and get out of there :thumbs:

rickv1957

Grab the money!,Rick

~ETC~

lol

its the same guy who bought my b-111 with a snow plow for $275

he stopped by yesterday to see if i had any tires he needed for a mower an seen it and immediately said "ill give you $300 for that cub" an i told him ill think about it.

he usually calls me a week later offering $50 more :banghead:

i cant complain.... ive made $1500 or more off him in the last month or so :lol:

all he does is set them out in his front yard with for sale signs on them with outrageous prices an they sell......:thumbs:

he has the b-111 out front for $500 and he has had several people come check it out offering him $350-$400 for it :wwp:

i wish i lived on a busy street :WRS:

Kelly

Send him to my house with a trailer and a pocket full of cash I'll load him right up.

big mike

The 1100 wasn't one of the best IH offered but I have a buddy that has custom triple hydraulics,complete custom cab,custom heat exchanger to heat the cab and a ton of weight on his 1100.He is still running the Peerless rear but it came with a bad motor so it has a K series Kohler.

The only guys that dread a Quiet Line are the ones that have not upgraded the motor mounts,me?......I think QLs ROCK!

The down side to a 1200 is the clutch flex plates break and are REAL expensive.When that happens the best solution is solid mounts and a standard 3 pin clutch driver and then you have a 128 with side panels.