T-Mo

Fixing a Sticking Clutch Pedal

T-Mo

I picked up this tip up from another site. On my '98 314-8 the clutch pedal sticks a little. On this design, there is a dampener that is used to control this and the tension on the pedal. See rectangular box in diagram below, Item no. 29.

314-8clutchparts-1.jpg

You can use the clutch spring from an older tractor to return the pedal. You can do this and leave the dampener in. The spring is part no. 108035 and it's shown in the diagram below as item no. 48.

386R1018.gif

One end of the spring attaches to the web on the axle housing (see blue oval on the first diagram) and the other end attaches to the clutch arm, item no. 12 on the first diagram and item no. 18 on the second diagram. Here's a picture of one use on a C-141 8 speed:

clutchspring.jpg

I found another spring for this and though it doesn't have the tension of the correct spring, it does appear to be working. I will find out how much when I put on the new drive belt and idler pulley, which I'm picking up tomorrow.

Curmudgeon

That's a different damper than what came on my 416-8, which I removed completely. Can't pull wheelies with those darn dampers on there. I have a LIKE NEW damper in a drawer somewhere.......................

Dale, uses and abuses, and they keep on tractoring. With the occasional repair.... :D

T-Mo

Yep, the spring is working. I also put on a new belt and a new idler pulley. So everything is working good now.

• Excellent 1

123GO

Darn!

Looks like all your pics were stolen from you.. Oh well T-Mo' great try at least!

Peace

tunahead72

@T-Mo Any chance you can recover those photos?

peter lena

@T-Mo, this is the spring you want , https://www.ebay.com/itm/324517177248?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=324517177248&targetid=1263104805286&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9003310&poi=&campaignid=11612431641&mkgroupid=126161676470&rlsatarget=pla-1263104805286&abcId=9300456&merchantid=114614561&gclid=CjwKCAjwhYOFBhBkEiwASF3KGdoajCgAG9XG2UMc0YOjj3JSsVHaz07DOs1aMKR77QK7C_SX8vFMoxoCKPIQAvD_BwE, in addition to pictures , make a detailed point of LUBRICATING EVERY MOVEMENT POINT , watch the rust run out . that linkage can work seamlessly , with no wheel stands or squealing. those gas cylinder s are a failure waiting to happen , pete 

123GO
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

@T-Mo, this is the spring you want , https://www.ebay.com/itm/324517177248?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=324517177248&targetid=1263104805286&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9003310&poi=&campaignid=11612431641&mkgroupid=126161676470&rlsatarget=pla-1263104805286&abcId=9300456&merchantid=114614561&gclid=CjwKCAjwhYOFBhBkEiwASF3KGdoajCgAG9XG2UMc0YOjj3JSsVHaz07DOs1aMKR77QK7C_SX8vFMoxoCKPIQAvD_BwE, in addition to pictures , make a detailed point of LUBRICATING EVERY MOVEMENT POINT , watch the rust run out . that linkage can work seamlessly , with no wheel stands or squealing. those gas cylinder s are a failure waiting to happen , pete 

Yep spring, Yep Grease,  YEP Cylinder always fails and it can be quite dangerous.

Mine would not release when my pedal was out then suddenly on its own timeline it would release and the tractor would just lunge quickly. I had no real control with my pedal which is a danger to the operator and anything near your tractor. The spring is so much more reliable, and even though you can, don't just add the spring on it, actually take the time to remove the cylinder because It will seize in/out and still cause safety/reliability issues. 

peter lena

@T-Mo, agree with you on the possible erratic  action of those cylinders, I  also detail firmed up every rod or linkage point , with washers or similar slick washers and lube, taking the play out of the connection , makes it work without effort . always tweaking existing areas to make them better. pete 

T-Mo

Guys, this thread is almost 14 years old.  And, unfortunately, I don't have the photos anymore, and I got the tractor fixed almost 14 years ago.  I since sold the tractor to a missionary from Central America who was going to use it on their property there.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

123GO
6 hours ago, T-Mo said:

Guys, this thread is almost 14 years old.  And, unfortunately, I don't have the photos anymore, and I got the tractor fixed almost 14 years ago.  I since sold the tractor to a missionary from Central America who was going to use it on their property there.

Correction, "Probably still using" it on their property there...Thanks for the update T-Mo!