CasualObserver

Wheel Horses at Indy

CasualObserver

Since Kelly wet your appetites about Wheel Horse tractors at Indy with his story and pictures of his White Walls from the Indy 2 1/2, I thought I'd also share these pictures I've dug up by scouring the internet. A while back, several of us had been discussing some Indy stuff and it prompted me to go looking. If I remember right, it was sorekiwi that posted a pic that showed a Massey and a Wheel Horse Charger both behind a pit wall, someone else posted a Panzer towing a racer. I had the thought that rather than searching for pics of tractors from the era, I should search for Indy Pit Pictures. I managed to come up with this small collection from the early 60s.

There is at least one Wheel Horse in every one of these pictures. The key is to look at the background. Some of you have seen these before, but many of you have not. Enjoy guys!

roundhoodsatindy01.jpg

roundhoodsatindy02.jpg

roundhoodsatindy03.jpg

roundhoodsatindy04.jpg

roundhoodsatindy05.jpg

roundhoodsatindy06.jpg

roundhoodsatindy07.jpg

roundhoodsatindy08.jpg

roundhoodsatindy09.jpg

roundhoodsatindy10.jpg

roundhoodsatindy11.jpg

roundhoodsatindy12.jpg

roundhoodsatindy13.jpg

roundhoodsatindy14.jpg

Sometime, I would love to find the time to be able to look through the photo archive albums at the Speedway in Indy, They have hundreds of thousands of photos. A year or two ago at the show, one of the prizes was several reprints of official Indy Motor Speedway Wheel Horse pictures. They are copyrighted material that can't be posted online though.

• Like 6

wheel horse 1045

thats a great post ,thanks for sharing the pics

chazm

Good pics Ja Tee :thumbs:

Gotta love them round hoods :WRS:

:banghead:

• Like 1

fireman

Thanks Jason! That was awsome. I especially likes the pic with the 61 Suburban in it. Hard to tell if it's a 401 or 551.

WHC-125

Thanks Jason! That was awsome. I especially likes the pic with the 61 Suburban in it. Hard to tell if it's a 401 or 551.

Jason, thanks for sharing! :WRS::thumbs: And Jeff it looks like a 551 :banghead:

VinsRJ

Great pics! Does look like a Lauson to me too.

Ken B

Waaaaaaaaaaayyy cool. :thumbs:

Stress Test Pullin

wheres the :thumbs: .... THERE IT IS lol

thanks for posting the pics, its interesting to see the wide amount of uses that these tractors had, and its great to see there are so many pics that have been archived :banghead:

Kelly

Oh sure blame it on me :banghead:

I've seen them before but it is always cool to see the vintage tractors at work :thumbs:

sorekiwi

Very cool old pictures.

The 1968 picture with the Charger (complete with whitewalls) is early on in this post: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php/topic/7242-1968-500-special/

rickv1957

Jason,very nice pictures! :thumbs: Rick

porkchop

Thanks for the pic,s. Brings back memories from my child hood. I spent alot of time there in the late 60,s and early 70,s. I actually sat in the old tower with all the senators and actors and such in 1971 during the race. I remember it like it was yesterday. We had a wheel horse at home and I can remember seeing them all there. Indy used to be the biggest show on earth back then especially around here. Now it,s just not the same.

whfan74

Wow.......wow.....wow!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for posting those pics!!!!! :thumbs:

What a great piece of history! :banghead:

• Like 1

CasualObserver

:thumbs: Glad you liked them. It's amazing what can turn up if you just search for the right thing!

Rideawaysenior

Nice work Jason. Those are some nice shots of history.

bustedglass

Thanks for sharing Jason. Those pictures are WAY cool :thumbs: .

But, if my old, tired, eyes aint playing tricks on me, I did'nt (could'nt) see a whitwall tire on any of those tractors :banghead: .

stevasaurus

See what you started Kelly... :thumbs::banghead: and thanks Jason for sharing. :WRS:

rwilson

verry nice pice of history right there. Thanks alot.

CasualObserver

But, if my old, tired, eyes aint playing tricks on me, I did'nt (could'nt) see a whitwall tire on any of those tractors :thumbs: .

You wouldn't see any whitewalls in those pictures... all the ones I found are round hoods (1961-64) The Whitewalls weren't done until 1968 like Kelly said.

KeithB

nice pics, thanks for sharing :thumbs:

tdearstine

Thanks for posting these pics, I love the old race cars and Indy back then, that was "Real Racing" great tractors too, im sure there were some tractor racing after the work was done for the day

sorekiwi

Here's another one, looks like a staged "propaganda" shot to me:

001-9.jpg

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Thought I'd bump this up for some of the newer RS members to see. If you get time... just start paging back in the Wheel Horse Tractor forum and you'll come up with topics like this. We've got some cool stuff in the "basement"! :thumbs:

1maidenfan

WAY COOL ! Wonder with that many wheel horse tractors if they had sponsors back then and if wheel horse sponsered any of the cars :confusion-shrug: How cool would that be to actually see "wheel horse" on a Indy car! :auto-layrubber:

Thanks for the pic's

:woohoo:

AMC RULES

:thumbs: What's old is new again...never tire of seeing them old :wh: picts from the Brickyard. :USA: