Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Rare white wall tires

Kelly

I'm kinda bored and don't want to go out in the cold so I thought I would post a few pictures of my white wall tires.

Wheel horse's were the main tractors that were used in the pits at the Indy 500, from the early 60's to the mid/late 80's to pull and push the race cars around, and I'm sure just to get around on, in 68 WH had Carlisle make white wall tires,( Carlise made most of the tires for WH in the mid 60's to the early 70's they are branded Wheel Horse) to be used at the track that year, only 33 sets are thought to have been made, one set for each tractor used at the race, the tractors Charger 9's also had special strips on the hood and cross flags very much like the 500 special tractors that were built to commemorate the race not used at the track, they also had front bumpers used to push the cars, very little info can be found so if you know anything about them please let me know, more pictures would be great :WRS:

I have 2 sets of them, as far as I know the only ones known to still exist, one set is missing a front tire :thumbs: like I'll ever find another :banghead:

both sets have had the rims painted red, that is not factory, the rims are linnen beige under the red.

The first set came on a tractor in very ruff shape, it was cut up to mount a hit and miss engine on it, so I put them on the tractor in the picture (a 69 charger 10), I will restore the orig. tractor someday.

100_0295.jpg

The second set or part set I bought off a tractor on CL the tractor was also very very ruff and he wanted way more than I was going to pay so I gave him a set of usable tires on rims and some money for just the tires and wheels.

100_2079.jpg

100_2080.jpg

Here is a few picture from the Wheel horse book page 96 of the 1968 tractors at Indy, one picture shows them lined up for the one lap of Indy that they raced the tractors around the track, I bet that took a while 2.5 miles at 8mph :wwp:

Wheelhorsewhitewalls_1.jpg

Wheelhorsewhitewalls_2-1.jpg

I hope you enjoy my little story and again any info would be great that you could add

• Like 2

Stress Test Pullin

those tires sure do look sharp, id buy a set or two if they were available, your deff lucky to have found a set :thumbs:

rustynut

if i run across anyi will let you know. i thkn i know were there is a white wall front tirres. i dont remver if there wheel horse or someting else though.but i will find out and let you know

Rollerman

Thanks Kelly , cool to see those pics again.

Never noticed before, but it looks like most of those tractors lined up in the vintage photo were hydro's.

Kelly

Yes I was told they used tucky powered hydros because they were faster than the stick shift tractors, if my info is correct they should all be charger 9/10's

chris11

Kelly those tires you have are very rare, your a lucky guy to have them. They are cool.

wheel horse 1045

great post kelly and great story

Retired Wrencher

Yes I was told they used tucky powered hydros because they were faster than the stick shift tractors, if my info is correct they should all be charger 9/10's

Hi Kelly VERY Nice photos I have a set of black that have the W/H logo on them nice shots from the past. Gary B...............

stevasaurus

Thanks for sharing that Kelly. :thumbs: Stay board and do some more stories.

JimD

great story and pics Kelly. you seem to have a real knack for being in the right place at the right time!! :thumbs:

Daddy Don

What else did WH do that we don' know about? Great looking tires.

rickv1957

Kelly,thats a great story,super rare tires and a very nice Charger you have!,Rick

Kelly

Thanks Rick now if I had a NOS 68 charger......... to put them on.

whfan74

Those are sweet Kelly! :thumbs:

That is definitely something to be proud of and kept in a climate controlled space! :banghead:

Duff

Has anybody ever contacted Carlisle to see if they might still have the molds with the Wheel Horse brand? Stranger things have turned up in the back corners of warehouses, or so I'm told..... :banghead:

Duff :thumbs:

Eriks Red horse herd

Funny thing is Kelly looking at the picture with the tractors lined up. I forgot I still have an original checkerd flag that I got off an old dealer from Indiana I evenhave a full page newspaper with his picture and all the other dealers that ran with him on the 2 1/2 race . Even shows the white walls on the tractors they ran.

Ken B

I like em! Very interesting. :thumbs:

rustynut

yea i have a 69 charger 10 to bad it didnt have the white walls but i wil find out bought them tires fer ya

bitten

Those look like spray paint to me :thumbs:

Kelly

Erik your killing me, you only live 10 miles from me, I would love a copy of that picture, and how about that flag?????

Kelly

Those look like spray paint to me :thumbs:

Your not the first to say they are painted

rickv1957

Kelly,dont have a NOS 68 Charger,do have a 68 thats about same condition as yours,Nice original!,Rick

HorseFixer

Good Story! :thumbs:

tbbahner

Thanks for sharing a bit of WH history. Great pics and a lot of nice looking WH's in the first pic.

Tom B

bork

That is awesome! WAY COOL !! I like the red wheels with the hub caps & whitewalls, but I dont see any in the indy pictures that way. Probably not factory done, but ya never know? There have been some corvettes back in late 50's & early 60's that have some special things done to them. For Dealers, polititions, stars, ? who knows?

The lever they are holding, on their right side, is what? (must not be the usual pto engagement?) Is this how they applied the power to the tranny? instead of the pedal type?

Are the Carlisle tires made in Carlisle Pa. ??? Is that what made the town?