Sign in to follow this  
Horse'n Around

Uni Drive help needed... Please

Horse'n Around

Howdy,

The shifter on my Frankenhorse all of the sudden stopped shifting gears about a while back. It moves freely and smooth with no catching or roughness of any kind in all the directions that its supposed to, but it isnt engaging anything internally.if you listen really close you can hear that the shifter isnt making any contact with anything or at least it doesnt feel or sound like it is.This didnt happen while it was in operation, it happened while it was just sitting .Is there a detent or something that could have popped out of place?I had just finished replacing the rear axle seals because they leaked really badly and I hadnt even added the gear lube to the transaxle yet.(dont worry it was never started or drived without the gear lube).It could have happened when I tried to take it out of gear and put it in neutral so I could push it on the trailer.The last time I started and drove it around the gearbox worked flawlessly. I have a feeling that something slipped put of place on the shifter mechanism.What do you think the problem is and where would you start to look? I would appreciate any suggestions that you might have.

Thanks,

John

Indy w h

You might start by taking out the shifter and inspect it for wear or missing ball

on the shifter handle

Indy

sorekiwi

I agree with Indy, start by removing the shift lever and inspect it.

Then try to engage the gears by putting a screwdriver in the slot on the shift rails. Try all 4 gears.

Then report back...

Horse'n Around

Well I took the shifter out yesterday morning and at first I didnt see anything wrong with anything. Then this morning I was looking at it again and POOF there it was.... the ring/collar (that the shifter pivots on and is also the part that the retaining bolt enguages when it is tightened) is loose on the shifter shaft, it appears that the roll pin or whatever it is is sheared off allowing the shifter to rotate, pull up basicly everything it shouldnt do. It is the first time I have removed the shifter on it, I am impressed with the design, as far as I can see that is.Tomorrow Im going to drigft the pin out and see if I can find a suitable replacement at Ace hardware.Am I correct in assuming that the pin will drift out thru the hole that the retaining bolt goes into when tightened? I have a feeling that this will solve my shifting problem. When I shift it with a screwdriver everything seems to work fine so I have a good feeling that this will solve the problem.

I will let you know what happens when I get the new pin and install it. Im hoping it will be tomorrow, but I live in a tiny town and soetimes simple parts are hard to come by but I have my fingers crossed.

I really appreciate your replies and help with this. :thumbs:

John

TT

Does your tiny town have a welder, John?

Use the roll pin hole to align the ball / lever with a pin punch and then weld them together from the underside.

If you have no other choice but to reinstall a roll pin, you will need to install it so the end of the roll pin is about 1/8" below the face of the ball on the front side. (grind off the excess on the back side if you have to) The set screw "point" has to be able to enter the same hole as the roll pin far enough to hold the shifter in place -- yet still allow it to pivot within the hole in the tranz case.

Horse'n Around

I installed a new roll pin and the trans works fine now, however I think Im going to take TT's advise and also give it a tack weld on its underside to be safe.

Thank you again for all your help I really appreciate it.

John

sorekiwi

Glad you got it fixed John.

I've had a couple that have been welded at some point of theuir lives, so it must be quite a common problem.

Indy w h

Glad ya got it going Aztrooper :thumbs:

Indy

jusjeepn

Glad it was an easy fix! :thumbs: