Sign in to follow this  
perry

charging problem

perry

my 1277 seems to be not chargeing. i have not got to involved in it yet. i tested power to everything and the volt meter only reads 10.9 to mid 11 volts at the battery. anybody know what these old generators should put out ?. i dont think i have never had a promblem with any of my other generator tractors. its been ahwile since i had to deal with one. when i bought the 1277 the generator was off the engine. i wonder if i have to polerize it?. but i dont remember how to ?.

i have to get this looked at today since we have 5-8" of snow headed our way tonight .

mack1605

im having the same problem so i will read the postings here to see if i can get mine fixed also thanks

TT
my 1277 seems to be not chargeing. i have not got to involved in it yet. i tested power to everything and the volt meter only reads 10.9 to mid 11 volts at the battery.

perry

thanks terry. ill look at it tomarrow.

and ya you guess it :thumbs: i had to look at the 877 when i put it on.

TT

Here's a diagram for the S/G equipped early Kohlers. Mark ("mack1605") is looking for one so I thought I'd post it here so everyone who needs it can see it.

wiring1966gen.jpg

mack1605

thank you terry :thumbs:

TT

Guys... hold that thought about polarizing a starter/generator! :thumbs:

I have to verify something first, so disregard my previous instructions from the web site I "stole" them from this morning.

(that is the correct procedure for polarizing a Delco GENERATOR with regulator-controlled field ground though -- like on some GM automobiles)

perry

:P :thumbs: OH shat :thumbs::D ....now you tell me

naw just kindin ya...... :D

TT

It's not really anything serious, Perry....

Just make sure you never put power to the "F" post on the regulator or S/G. :thumbs:

I'm trying to get this sorted out, but I might have to call Jr. down at the auto/electric shop in the morning. :thumbs:

perry

i pulled the cover off the regulator and it looks like brand new :thumbs: . i cleaned up the little points :thumbs: and it started to get spark between the connections and i got intermidiate charge. seemed to charge better at lower rpm's. i grounded the GEN at the F terminal and it put a load on the engine and was reading 21. volts on the meter. ill change the regulator today and see what happens.

TT

Make sure you use a regulator intended for starter/generator systems and not a regular automotive generator. Even though some of them look the same, they are completely different and don't interchange.

(figuring you knew that, but thought I'd mention it anyhow. :thumbs: )

Buzz

I found this in my files, (thanks to BLUEKNIGHTBOB)

Voltage regulator: Delco/Remy # 1118988 or NAPA small engine parts # 7-01826

Starter/Generator belt: Kohler # 261605

Idiot light for generator: minature 12 volt bulb # 53