Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorsepuller

Wheelhorse Racer

Sparky

Is the deck mandatory to compete? Or is it just a great way to get some footrests/runnin boards.

Mike..........

wheelhorsepuller

In some of the US classes you have to have a simulated deck... I just did it for more foot room and I thought it would look cool...

wheelhorsepuller

I have the steering finished with the new u-joint.. and the new seat both from Ryker Racing.

This is how it looks now... it's finally starting to look like something...

th_DSCF0027-1.jpg

th_DSCF0028-1.jpg

th_DSCF0029.jpg

That's my youngest Amie.. I hope in 4 more years to have her racing on a stocker..

th_DSCF0030.jpg

Rollerman

So how soon before Amie & you get some real seat time?

Looks like your makeing good time on your project & looks :D

I sure hope you add some pics this summer of the raceing.

Maybe we could do a "Wheel Horse Motor Sports" section in the gallery for the racers & pullers in there action shots?.... :thumbs: :thumbs:

wheelhorsepuller

I need to have this running by the middle of April. Test and Tune is at the beginning of May. :thumbs:

I installed the seat tonight and put the chain on to make sure it will line up and clear the seat. I'll post some more pictures when I get the fenders back on... :thumbs:

Curmudgeon

Don't want to be a critic, but I wouldn't call it a Wheel Horse. I'm pretty liberal about modifying, but just the hood and fenders? :thumbs:

On a more constructive note, I've never seen a racer that high in the butt. You might want to consider getting that down so it sits level. The heaviest part will be you, unless you're a wiffet of a guy, and since you're sitting on the back, that places you up, which raises the center of gravity which increases likelihood of a roll over in the corners, NOT the fastest way around the track.

That slows the IMOW class down more than anything, they ride higher and simply can't drift through the corners.

T-Mo

It's starting to take shape nicely. I do think Dale makes a good point about getting it lower a bit. But, then again, I know absolutely nothing about racing - so my comments aren't too useful.

As for it being a Wheel Horse, for me it qualifies. But you do have it under the "Other Brands" section so it's covered either way. :thumbs:

wheelhorsepuller

I didn't have a wheelhorse chassis to start with so I used what I had.. but really wanted it to look like Wheelhorse...

Do the cars in Nascar look like the brand they are representing?.... I just wanted to do my part.. and mine actually uses a Wheelhorse hood.. not an mtd with Wheelhorse on the side...I have als tried to use as many wheelhorse type parts as I could.. that's one of the reasons I'm running a Kohler Engine and not a Briggs.. nostalgia.. Kohler and Wheelhorses go hand in hand...

I might have a mid 1980's Wheelhorse coming in a few weeks.. it is hydro.. and I will put a transaxle in it.. but 75% of it will be virgin Wheelhorse.. It will be a Pro Stock..

I can't put the back down unless I spend a few hundred for rims and tires.. the rules state that the axle must be under the chassis so that is what I have done.. so I'm stuck with it..

There is a ton of work put into the front steering geometry to get it to turn.. and a fair amount of wedge in the chassis and I can corrected for Ackerman issues so I think it might run pretty well even with the rake..

I am also sitting right on the chassis pan and not on a tunnel which putting me almost a foot lower than some of my competitors in our mod class that are running MTD chassis... So I will certainly have a lower center of gravity

Rollerman

No critisism here "puller"...only flaw I see in this thread is I can't seem to remember your name... :thumbs:

I'm impressed with your build though...you have been moveing right along with it.

Considering what you started with...okay I'll admit...I was wondering at 1st. :thumbs:

Hope to see some vids of it in action.

T-Mo

I'm not criticizing either as I think it's as much Wheel Horse as those Cub Cadet pullers I see. And with that hood, it definitely has a Wheel Horse "look" to it. And I can't criticize anything else as I know nothing about racing or this racing club you're in. Dale, I though, had a valid point about the stance in the rear, but again, I reiterate, I know nothing about this.

I would like to see it finished and in action. :thumbs:

wheelhorsepuller

Don't' worry about criticizing the build.. I can take it.. :thumbs::thumbs:

This is build number one.. I will probably build another one taking the things I learned from this one too the next.. BUT the next one will be ALL Wheelhorse.. from the chassis to the fender and hood..

The fenders are almost done... and with the seat on it really changes the stance of the mowchine...

I'll have some more pics before the end of the weekend..

:D

Curmudgeon

I hoped what I said was constructive criticism, not just complaining!!!

The work you do does look top notch! And it sounds like you've done your research on the steering geometry.

As for NASCAR, Ford vs Chevy vs Toyota is stupid, they are all the same under the skin, which doesn't even resemble the make they are supposedly representing!!!

wheelhorsepuller

I got the rear fenders mounted at the front.. and the seat is mounted.. I just have to finish the back attachment points when I get more material on Monday...

I'm, almost ready to get working on mounting the master cylinder for the brakes, install the centrifugal clutch and figure out my belt size..

th_DSCF0067-1.jpg

th_DSCF0068-2.jpg

I think everyone is entitled to an opinion.. I don't mind... :thumbs:

Curmudgeon

Centrifugal clutch? They sure have different rules north of the border!!! LOL

wheelhorsepuller

Our club allows the centrifugal clutch in all the classes.. I don't want to mess with pulleys anyways.. I always do something wrong and it doesn't work right.. I just want to stab and go..

We mimic some of the rules from south of the boarder.. but some we are progressive.

I want a low maintenance machine that when completed, I just drive and not worry about..

Rollerman

"Jason" the racers really takeing shape!

Can't wait to hear your drive reports.

wheelhorsepuller

I got the final mounts on the seat and fenders done today.. next week is finishing the brakes/pedals and installing the centrifugal clutch.. then I hop to fire it up the second week of April... woo hoo :thumbs:

Curmudgeon

What kind of speed are you shooting for there, Jason?

Judging by the similar american classes, you should be in the mid-40 to 50 mph bracket, depending on the track.

illinilefttackle

:thumbs: 40-50 MPH depending on the track? WOW! On a Wheel Horse! Man you guys are braver than I am-I get nervous when the C-125 gets going 6-7 mph!

Jason-got your health ins paid up?-Good luck-AL :thumbs:

wheelhorsepuller

I'm Canadian so it's paid for me...

We run on shorter tracks so it will be geared for about 35 mph...and we run in 3 rd gear of the 5 speeds because it is the strongest gear...

If I took the governor off this thing would really fly..

The outlaws mowers run 100 hp Vanguards and they are only on the gas for a few seconds before they lift.. usually at the middle of the straightaway.. just so they can turn the corner..

Here is the Mowchine our club president built...

IMG_0356.jpg

It started out as this

th_newholland.jpg

modracer

yup thats the fastest tractor in our club....him and george

Curmudgeon

One of the races I attended had a radar set up so the spectator section could observe the speeds down the straight. While it was a mighty SHORT straightaway, mid 40's were quite common. Speeds through the corners weren't much slower.

Quick stab at the brake, a twist of the wheel, and full throttle drifting around the corner.

At some of the larger tracks, it's faster. Every once in a while someone might run on a quarter mile track just for giggles. Speeds into the 90's have been recorded.

ON A RIDING LAWN MOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wheelhorsepuller

I got the brakes finished.. Now I just need to run the rod to the pedal..

Tomorrow I pick up my Clutch... ;D

th_DSCF0070-3.jpg

th_DSCF0069-3.jpg

Greg B.

Do you ride the cushion, in the corners, or can you pull them down to the inside rail? Are the tracks configured so you can run a diamond patern? I'd really like to see one of these races.

Greg B.

wheelhorsepuller

I'm not completely sure if I understand you.. but I use a plastic race seat to hold me secure as I have a back injury... some guys in my class still use factory cushion seats and put a bra on the right side to put your but against to make sure you don't fly off..

The track are much like Martinsville in the Nascar series... short corners connecting two drag strips...

Some of the track are putting in clay banking so that we don't have to slow down as much...