Sign in to follow this  
racer4

Single stage 79360 Snow blower noise...Help!

racer4

Just got done with a freshening of the snowblower which included two idler sprockets, one driveshaft bearing and one auger bearing after noticing the unit was getting very noisy during the last use. I put everything back together separately, auger first, no noise from that and it spins freely with no endplay. Driveshaft spins freely with no noise there either. Hooked the chain up and tensioned it to spec, but when the blower is running, it sounds like I've got gear-to-gear drive going on in there. All of the sprockets line up with each other and neither the auger or the driveshaft is bent. I can't figure it out. The idler sprockets were toast, so I figured the noise was coming from them. Chain was well oiled and doesn't seem worn, nor do the auger and drive sprockets. Its just as loud as it was before I did anything. Dad's JD blower is very quiet when running and the setup isn't all that different. I must be missing something here. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Confused99

Did you replace the chain? As a rule of thumb, I always replace the chain when replacing sprokets.

I just used my NOS 79360 blower for the first time last week and before I used it it seemed noisy. After using it, it has quieted down some now.

Jason

Sparky

Make sure the chain is routed correctly as there is more than one way for it to be routed and still spin the auger in the correct direction. The problem is that when routed wrong it hits the blower housing where it enters and exits the housing.

Mike.......

can whlvr

did u use the corect sprocket size to chain size,i think some one here said it was #41,and alot of sprockets can be #40,so things might look good but are slightly off

racer4

Make sure the chain is routed correctly as there is more than one way for it to be routed and still spin the auger in the correct direction. The problem is that when routed wrong it hits the blower housing where it enters and exits the housing.

Mike.......

I routed the chain exactly as it was and there is no binding or hitting anywhere. Sprockets were Toro parts. They wanted $64 for the chain, so I passed on that, maybe I'll have to get some from TSC.