whfan74

Suitcase weights

whfan74

Worked in to the weee hours of the night last night trying to get some things adapted to the 312-8 for plowing duty.

I always add this extra weight to the back of the tractor. The frame itself is 25 lbs. and each suitcase weight is 25 lbs. as well. Add them all up and you get 175 lbs hanging off the back. :notworthy: Also have Wheel Horse wheel weights in each rear wheel for another 100 lbs of weight. So I can honestly say, I don't get stuck! :thumbs:

First picture here is just of the frame. It mounts right to the fender pan support. Down below it has spacers welded on it so that you can still mount your rear draw bar hitch. Slide the pin through and you are all set!

sweightbar.jpg

Here is a pic with the weights installed!

suitcase.jpg

wheel horse 1045

is the bracket stock or is it a fab that you made because that is nice

htopjimmy26

I too am interested in this suitcase weight bracket for snowblowing. Is there any way you could suppy us with some dimensions or a source to purchase from?

Wheel Horse Fan

You use chains or just the weight and the AGs? Yes please provide more info on the bracket. I imagine it was something you made, nice work.

rickv1957

Nice work!!!, Scott,Rick

Rideawaysenior

That may be a fab job by the poster, but Toro made a rear weight bracket that hooked up exactly as that one does. Suitcase weights were available as well. They were available OEM.

whfan74

Rideaway.........hit the nail on the head. I will have to check with dad as it used to be his and I am just about 100% sure he purchased it through the family business. When I get back out to it I will check the tag on the side and see if it gives any additional info.

I only use ags (23x10.50's) at this point with no chains. I used to use 23 x 8.50's ags before they were worn out. Once I get a chance I would like to go back to that size. But these will have to do for now. Since I primarily plow concrete drives I have stuck to ags. Chains would only come in handy for me when we have a ton of ice underneath all of the snow.

I will work on getting some measurements for you guys. This set-up only takes one bolt and then the pin that goes through the tranny case that holds the rear draw bar hitch. Weights just then drop on the back and you are ready to tackle the snow.

Word of advice...........don't pop the clutch on dry pavement, even with the plow on! :notworthy:

Hopefully the tag will give me some info so we can check to see if it is still available.

Thanks for looking!

HorseFixer

Scotty Nice looking weights & bracket! I need some of those weights then I will fab the bracket for the weights! :notworthy:

racer4

That weight system was made by Ber-Vac, a canadian company specializing in snow blowers and tractor accessories. Supposedly, the blower these weights were used to counter-balance weighed some 400 lbs. I bought a set last year and they still have the mfg tag on them. Awesome weight set!!!

whfan74

Racer is exactly right. That is the company that made the bracket and weights. They really do come in handy and with those weights added to the wheel weights that is 275 lbs of traction under my buns!

Jesse James

The weights themselves are still available. But have found out that it is cheaper to buy the universal or MDT set and through away the bracket than buy the weights separately!!! I purchased one but it had no weights!!!! Found out that a lot of pulling guy like to use them cause they are small enough to fit under the footrests. I attached a few images of the one I have. The bracket attaches on the hitch pin like the clevis hitch would and the top bracket catches a bolt hole in the fuel tank/fender mount bracket. Really neat set up just wish I had some weights <_<

Attached Image

post-4-1260976458.jpg

Jesse James

Attached pics

Attached Image

post-4-1260976544.jpg

Jesse James

attached pics

Attached Image

post-4-1260976614.jpg

420lse

That's a nice clean setup. I saw that on a C-105.I bought a snowthrower from the guy. I checked out ber-vac to try and find one with no luck so I ended up making

my own rear weighting. Bercomac makes blowers and options for Toro tractors.

Moe in CT

erik

Nice set up, very clean.

Anyone have any setups for mid/front weights? I have a 312-8 with a snow thrower and found that it really doesn't turn with the blower on the ground. I have to lift it to put the weight back on the front tires in order to turn.

Thanks.

420lse

Nice set up, very clean.

Anyone have any setups for mid/front weights? I have a 312-8 with a snow thrower and found that it really doesn't turn with the blower on the ground. I have to lift it to put the weight back on the front tires in order to turn.

Thanks.

Hi Eric

U should be able to find front wheel weights.there is a pic of a front weight in the implements section.

erik

Hi Eric

U should be able to find front wheel weights.there is a pic of a front weight in the implements section.

Thanks!!

htopjimmy26

Thanks for the pics Jesse, they will help alot in fabricating our own. Does the pin just secure the weights from jumping out?

whfan74

Thanks for the pics Jesse, they will help alot in fabricating our own. Does the pin just secure the weights from jumping out?

Dana,

Yes that pin or long rod goes through the bracket and then through the bottom of the suitcase weights to help secure them. I did not install mine this year. The weights wedge in pretty tight and each weight is 25 lbs. So my thinking is they should stay in place...........I don't plan on doing any Dukes of Hazzard type jumps this year! :notworthy:

420lse

That may be a fab job by the poster, but Toro made a rear weight bracket that hooked up exactly as that one does. Suitcase weights were available as well. They were available OEM.

Are they still available? If so do u have a part Number? It's such a clean application someone should concider manufacturing these again.

Daveycrocket

I am in the process of designing a new style suitcase weight bracket that has stationary brackets mounted to the tractor, with a quick release weight hanger that is able to be removed in about 5 seconds along with how ever many weights you want on or off the rear end up to 8 weights, but these are the more commonly found cheep weights i have found on ebay they are around 28lbs each. the reason to make the whole bracket a quick release is so you can mount the tiller without having to unbolt anything, or what ever rear attachment might be in the way with the original weight bracket. I will also be making one for the front of the tractor that utilizes the quick attach hitch and the same suitcase weights. I cant say that i will be manufacturing these in any quantity besides my own considering the cost involved with making them would be astronomical. There will be a lot of hours on AutoCAD, CAM, a very expensive CNC machine, a hobart 250 ironman, sandblasting scale, and powder coating. Its going to be great! What i can say is once I get them done in the next few months I will post the pictures maybe even a video of some of the fabrication process. I came up with this idea months before i came across this post, see i saw in my 1988 wheel horse brochure the suitcase weights way back when, got in touch with toro and all the local old school dealers to try and get some info on this set up with no luck, no part numbers or anything. I spent an hour on the phone with toro trying to get some information only to end up with a list of third party manufactures that had no idea who made the system or anything. So i decided to make my own. I bought the suitcase weights a few months ago and was hoping to get a tiller and 50" mid-mount grader so I could verify no clearance issues with the two attachments, but its hard to find those two in great newer shape reasonably local to Michigan. so I am just going off the diagrams that toro has for those attachments and hoping that they work. But if any of you guys out there have those two attachments that are in great condition reasonably close to me, I would be willing to make a second set of these brackets and hangers for you, for the cost(probably around $175, powder coated,everything), if you can sell me those two attachments for a good price. These brackets are being made to fit a 1997 520H, but i have a 1989 310-8 that I am going to cross reference as well in the design so they should be able to fit the 300,400,500 series across the board. like I said I am only interested in very good-great condition, 50" mid-mount grader and 36" tiller with pulley assembly for the 1997 520H, the newer the better. Thanks guys :thumbs:

Attached Image

post-4-1263919542.jpg

• Like 1

Brrly1

There's a 50" grader blade on e-bay right now buy-it-now for $299 in N.J. you have to pick it up. See Ya, Bye Burly

:thumbs:

876wheelhorse

i heard somewhere that putting the weights in the rear like that is hard on the axles? is this true? i was wanting to build a steel box and fill it with water. something i could drain in the summer time and would be easily taken off. something with the weights in the rear. they were saying that is alot better to have wheel weights something with rotating mass??????? i dont know if it is bull but see what you guys think

whfan74

Well with the one inch axles you have to be careful with having that much weight. So far so good for me........I don't like to do stupid stuff with my machines but I do know there is always a possibility when you are working them.

876wheelhorse

so what is too much weight? 75 to 100 pounds hanging back there ???